Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Because the area north of Detroit was a virtually impassable swamp, a lot of settlers from New York came by water and moved up the Clinton River [[De Witt Clinton, governor of NY) to settle in towns along the river [[Utica, Rochester) bypassing the areas between six mile and sixteen mile. There was a lot of water power available from the Clinton River and its tributaries [[like Paint Creek) and a variety of different types of agricultural, textile, and industrial mills were set up along the river. Even though the DUR didn't go east of M-150 on its way to Rochester, there was a stop [[possibly Rochester Rd and Auburn Road) known as "West Utica". After Mt Clemens and New Baltimore, Utica was one of the important locales in Macomb County.

Anyone ever hear of the Old Homestead section of Ecorse Township? I was recently going through the old Mellus Newspapers [[The Allen Parker, The Lincoln Parker, etc.) for 1947. An article and advertisement announcing the Jack Cinnamon's grocery store opening listed it on Fort Street near Oak in the Old Homestead Section of Ecorse Township. I think that the advertisement might of listed it as Wyandotte but the rendering resembles that building on the Southgate side of Fort Street at 14222 Fort Street, Southgate that houses a vacuum cleaner, florist and carpet store. Jack Cinnamon's was revolutionary as a self-serve modern grocery store. Jack Cinnamon lived close by on Argyle Street as I recall from the article.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    I haven't seen a post on this thread, but one of the Greiners has posted recently on other DY threads. Possibly descended from the settlers?
    Yes that is correct. It was my understanding that there was a whole bunch of farmland around 6 mile and Gratiot that was owned by my family at one time, and then there was the street named after us.

Its pretty neat to think about, but nobody in my family really talks about it.

Claude Greiner

The little burg of Oak was located at the junction of the Pere Marquette/CSX main line from Detroit to Plymouth and the PM/CSX srur that ran southeast to the Ford Rougemere plant. The closest location to Oak would probably be the place where the PM/CSX line crosses Inkster Road about halfway between Plymouth Road and Schoolcraft.

Edit to add: Upon further consultation with Google Maps, I stand corrected. Inkster Road and Fullerton was the location of "Koenig". Beech-Daly Road and Fullerton was the location of "Beech".
    "Oak" was located along Evergreen just south of the Jeffries Freeway where there is a junction on the CSX. Fullerton and Evergreen intersection was removed during the construction of the Jeffries. Oak Yard to the east of Oak station/junction is just north of the Jeffries between Evergreen and Southfield.
    Last edited by Hermod; May-24-10 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Because the area north of Detroit was a virtually impassable swamp, a lot of settlers from New York came by water and moved up the Clinton River [[De Witt Clinton, governor of NY) to settle in towns along the river [[Utica, Rochester) bypassing the areas between six mile and sixteen mile.
    That's pretty much as I've heard it. Lewis Cass hated that all that land was swampy, and sent several expeditions to reassess just how swampy it was. In fact, he likely put the county seat way out in Pontiac just to spur development out that way.

And, so I hear, that's why Ferndale is called that name. If you had to pick a name for a swamp, "valley of ferns" probably is the nicest way to say it.

Those were all dredged out by -- what? -- the 1860s? And I trust the 10,000-acre tract deeded to the city by the feds had very little swampland on it in the 1810s?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    That's pretty much as I've heard it. Lewis Cass hated that all that land was swampy, and sent several expeditions to reassess just how swampy it was. In fact, he likely put the county seat way out in Pontiac just to spur development out that way.

And, so I hear, that's why Ferndale is called that name. If you had to pick a name for a swamp, "valley of ferns" probably is the nicest way to say it.

Those were all dredged out by -- what? -- the 1860s? And I trust the 10,000-acre tract deeded to the city by the feds had very little swampland on it in the 1810s?
    If you want the county seat to be in a "central" location so that all of the farmers had equal access to the courthouse, Pontiac is a pretty central place in Oakland County.

Oakland and Macomb County settlements follow three lines

1. The line out Woodward towards Pontiac and Flint which also became the route of the GTW line to Durand).

2. The line out the military-built road to Fort Gratiot [[Port Huron) which also became the route of the GTW line to Port Huron.

3. The line of the Clinton River.

Note that the Michigan Central line which ran from Detroit through Utica, Rochester, Oxford, and Lapeer to Saginaw and Bay City had no real stops on the line before Utica except the little hamlets of North Detroit [[part of Detroit) and Warren. After Utica, towns abounded on the line. Most locales were "township centers"

If you want the county seat to be in a "central" location so that all of the farmers had equal access to the courthouse, Pontiac is a pretty central place in Oakland County.
    Only there was no Oakland County then. And there were no farmers. And there wasn't even a treaty with the Indians. It was the first inland settlement, intentionally placed at a distance to spur development, or at least that's how I understand it.

Only there was no Oakland County then. And there were no farmers. And there wasn't even a treaty with the Indians. It was the first inland settlement, intentionally placed at a distance to spur development, or at least that's how I understand it.
    From the City of Pontiac official history:

The City of Pontiac has a long and rich history. First settled in 1818 where the Saginaw Indian Trail crossed the Clinton River, Pontiac was a natural spot to put a new town.
    The Indian trail followed the high ground to get through the swamps from the fur trapping grounds to the French trading post at Detroit. A major river crossing generally causes a settlement.

From the City of Pontiac official history: The City of Pontiac has a long and rich history. First settled in 1818 where the Saginaw Indian Trail crossed the Clinton River, Pontiac was a natural spot to put a new town.
    Oh, yes, it was settled by two white settlers in 1818. But few wanted to move out there at the time. Remember, the survey of 1794 described the area as one vast swamp, which pissed off territorial governor Lewis Cass, who fought to get better survey work done to aid settlement. You can bet your boots Cass was instrumental in setting up the first inland settlement far off into what is today Oakland County. Naturally, a river made a good spot.

The Indian trail followed the high ground to get through the swamps from the fur trapping grounds to the French trading post at Detroit. A major river crossing generally causes a settlement.
    Yes, but don't overlook the other history: that it was largely unsettled by Europeans, was full of often hostile natives, and was given a bad name by sloppy surveyors, which angered Cass, who wanted to see more settlers come in. He was a major force in "Indian removal," also to speed up settling. After dealing with the natives and surveying the area properly, he created Oakland County and put its seat way out there. You might sensibly say that this was to be a central locations for future farmers, though there were none worth discussing in 1819, but I've generally found that Cass was a big promoter of anything that would bring European-American settlers in and improve links between Detroit and trapping-farming lands. Putting the county seat out Pontiac way would help accomplish that pretty handily.

Oh, yes, it was settled by two white settlers in 1818. But few wanted to move out there at the time. Remember, the survey of 1794 described the area as one vast swamp, which pissed off territorial governor Lewis Cass, who fought to get better survey work done to aid settlement. You can bet your boots Cass was instrumental in setting up the first inland settlement far off into what is today Oakland County. Naturally, a river made a good spot.

Yes, but don't overlook the other history: that it was largely unsettled by Europeans, was full of often hostile natives, and was given a bad name by sloppy surveyors, which angered Cass, who wanted to see more settlers come in. He was a major force in "Indian removal," also to speed up settling. After dealing with the natives and surveying the area properly, he created Oakland County and put its seat way out there. You might sensibly say that this was to be a central locations for future farmers, though there were none worth discussing in 1819, but I've generally found that Cass was a big promoter of anything that would bring European-American settlers in and improve links between Detroit and trapping-farming lands. Putting the county seat out Pontiac way would help accomplish that pretty handily.
    Lewis Cass did three things.

1. He purchased most of the land in Michigan from the Indians. After the death of Tecumseh, Michigan Indians became quite docile. John Jacob Astor's "production line" methods of fur buying pretty much wiped out the fur animals in Michigan. The Indians couldn't survive without trapping and were ready to move on. Most of them felt they got a pretty good deal in Lewis Cass' purchase of the land.

2. He got the state surveyed so that land could be sold and title conveyed. The original surveyors passed the word that the state was mostly swamp. In fairness, the area around Detroit was swamp. The road to Toledo was said to look like the trail of a defeated army with all of the abandoned wagons along the way. When the road to Pontiac was built, the first twelve miles out of Detroit had to be corduroyed.

3. He publicized the availability and desirability of land in Michigan to folks back east. The opening of the Erie Canal in New York made the Great lakes and Michigan accessible to the eastern seaboard.

In the 1969 Rochester Centennial History "A Lively Town" they describe the first white "settler" in Avon Township.

James Graham and his family were living in Detroit in 1813 where he was a wood cutter. James didn't like Detroit, a metropolis of 1,700. The local Indians told him of hilly country covered with oak trees north of Detroit and he made the decision to move there [[bailing out of the city for suburbia has a long history).

For several years, James and his sons scouted for a passable route through the swamps of southern Oakland County. Finally, in 1817, James and his family took the old French raod along the shore [[Jefferson Ave) to Mt Clemens [[a three week trip). The Indians had told James of a passable route inland up the Riviere aux Hurons [[renamed Clinton River in 1824). The Indians guided them up to Romeo, then down through Washington to the juncture of Stoney Creek and Paint Creek.

James finally "squatted" on land at the current juncture of Livernois Road and Avon Road where they built a log cabin. Alexander, the son of James built a log cabin on what is now 3rd St in Rochester just east of Main St [[M-150). Alexander's son was the first white child born in Avon Twp. Alexander's wife named their home "Rochester" after her home town in New York.

In 1818, John Hersey bought the first public land sold in Michigan which was a piece which is now the northwest quadrant of the City of Rochester

Question - Is there any connection between the strip farms that existed in Grosse Pointe Twp and something called a "Private Claim" number? Is there a map that shows private claim numbers?

In the 1969 Rochester Centennial History "A Lively Town" they describe the first white "settler" in Avon Township.

James Graham and his family were living in Detroit in 1813 where he was a wood cutter. James didn't like Detroit, a metropolis of 1,700. The local Indians told him of hilly country covered with oak trees north of Detroit and he made the decision to move there [[bailing out of the city for suburbia has a long history).

For several years, James and his sons scouted for a passable route through the swamps of southern Oakland County. Finally, in 1817, James and his family took the old French raod along the shore [[Jefferson Ave) to Mt Clemens [[a three week trip). The Indians had told James of a passable route inland up the Riviere aux Hurons [[renamed Clinton River in 1824). The Indians guided them up to Romeo, then down through Washington to the juncture of Stoney Creek and Paint Creek.

James finally "squatted" on land at the current juncture of Livernois Road and Avon Road where they built a log cabin. Alexander, the son of James built a log cabin on what is now 3rd St in Rochester just east of Main St [[M-150). Alexander's son was the first white child born in Avon Twp. Alexander's wife named their home "Rochester" after her home town in New York.

In 1818, John Hersey bought the first public land sold in Michigan which was a piece which is now the northwest quadrant of the City of Rochester
    You leave out one vital point of information about old "Grimes." He was a typically chatty "foine ould Irish gintlemen, one of the raal ould shtock." Who else would be able to win the trust of the natives?

Quote Originally Posted by takascar View Post
    Question - Is there any connection between the strip farms that existed in Grosse Pointe Twp and something called a "Private Claim" number? Is there a map that shows private claim numbers?
    As posted earlier by MikeM
    Ribbon Farm Appreciation thread:
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1180288955

Here are some updated links from that thread
    Hornwrecker
    If you go to the NOAA website and do a search in the historical chart section for Michigan and the year 1796, you'll find a French map done of the Detroit River for Napoleon. On it are all the farms on both sides of the river, with tables listing the owners.
    NOAA search

Fareastsider
    Here is a list of Private claims and original owners
    http://web.archive.org/web/200505092...landclaim.html
    The top center link for the 1893 map of private claims of Wayne County is the most legible numbered version I can find.
    http://www.historicmapworks.com/Atla...+with+Detroit/

Another scan of it is here.
    http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text...eq=14&size=400

Today most of Detroit and suburban streets were named after farm families. For example Minock St. in Detroit's West Side used to be Minock Family Farm in Redford TWP. When it was a 6x6 mile sqaure.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Today most of Detroit and suburban streets were named after farm families. For example Minock St. in Detroit's West Side used to be Minock Family Farm in Redford TWP. When it was a 6x6 mile sqaure.
    Brush and Cass leap to mind first, but, yes, it's very common.

Early days in Detroit By Friend Palmer 1906
    IN the old 'Detroit Gazette of Friday, May 31, 1822, is this notice:
    "Judge Clemens, one of the proprietors of Mt. Clemens, has recently established a Stage, to leave this City Weekly, after the arrival of the Steam Boat, and arrive at the Seat of Justice of Macomb Co. on the same day..."
    The allusion to Mt. Clemens in the Gazette suggests the following extracts from some articles I wrote last summer for the Mt. Clemens Monitor, in regard to the early days of the "Bath City," and to the country between here and there and through which the rapid transit electric runs. Note the difference between then and now. It is almost a part of Detroit...
    Referring to the trip to Mt. Clemens on my mother's wedding day...We journeyed to Mt. Clemens in fine style via the Gratiot turnpike and arrived at Mr. Connor's residence along late in the afternoon. "Jabe" and the coach returned the next day.
    There was very little settlement along the turnpike between here and Mt. Clemens, after you left the confines of the city. There was a tavern at Connor's Creek, five miles out, and another ten miles out, called the Half Way House. Aside from these two houses I think there were but five or six others the entire distance. I know there was but one between the Half Way House and Mt. Clemens, and that was five miles this side of the latter town.
    To this house from the Half Way tavern the pike ran through an unbroken forest. On this piece of road the people had allowed the brush to encroach to the extent that there was insufficient space left for the passage of vehicles, and when it came to turnout, as did happen now and then, it was a rather difficult matter.
    I am reminded of another trip through these same woods nearly ten years later on and they had changed but very little in that time. A young lady relative of mine desired to attend the funeral of a mutual friend in Mt. Clemens, a daughter of Colonel Stockton, and requested me to drive her up there in a buggy. I undertook the business, and we started about nine o'clock. Fine day and all that, road in good condition, but the horse was poor, not much of a goer, and we did not reach the Half Way House until long in the afternoon. We tarried long enough to refresh the horse and ourselves, and started on our journey. We had not gone far before the shades of evening began to fall and soon it got as dark as a "stack of black cats;" could not see your hand before you; had to let the horse take his own course, which he did...
    My first visit to this interesting village was in 1834...Mt. Clemens wears a different aspect now from what it did then. It was at best only a straggling village, with the business, etc., centering around the square in which was the old wooden court house, jail, and meeting house as well...
    THEN AND NOW.
    The passenger to and from Mt. Clemens at the present day, comfortably seated in the luxurious electric cars, can hardly realize, in passing over the road, the different aspect the same route presented in the '30's and '40's Then it was almost a dense wilderness, relieved now and then by a settler's log dwelling; now it is a continuous settlement the entire route of prosperous farmers, with their commodious dwellings, in lieu of the rude log cabin. I have had it forcibly brought to mind when passing over this electric road what a wonderful change has taken place on this route from that period to this.
    I have tried often to locate the site of the old Half Way House, that was in the early days such a desirable point to reach, a haven of rest, as it were, particularly if one was journeying from Mt. Clemens to Detroit. The woods were so dense, the settlers so far between, and the way seemed so long to the tavern, it used to seem as though it never could be reached.
    The sign, a large swinging one, painted white, hung away out over the road, a prominent reminder that when you reached it you would be ten miles nearer your destination, one-half way home, and sure of ample refreshment for yourself and horse, if you were not on foot. That delusive white sign, how often have I when journeying from Mt. Clemens to Detroit eagerly watched for the first sight of it, and when it did loom into view white over the road, five or six miles in the distance, it seemed, as said before, as though it never could be reached, like the mirage on the plains, "so near and yet so far." It was awfully tantalizing. There are very few living I imagine that have had the same experience on this route, and to those the incidents I relate I am sure they will readily testify to.
    http://macombhistory.us/miscitems/Locals.html
    The following partial list is from: Macomb County Extinct Towns, Railroad Stops, & Place Name Changes compiled by Cynthia Ladensack Reference Librarian Mount Clemens Public Library
    Halfway - Earlier name of Eastpointe [[Post office 1897-1924; Village 1924-1929). Also an interurban stop on Gratiot at 9 Mile Road.
    http://algonac-clay-history.com/the_chronicles_6_1.htm
    In 1894, the Rapid Railway System constructed lines out Gratiot Avenue to Mt. Clemens. Later, it extended the line to Port Huron by way of the river communities....
    The Detroit Urban Railway discontinued service from Detroit to Port Huron on January 13, 1930. They did operate as far as Mt. Clemens until 1932, at which time all operations were discontinued.
    http://edhs1929.blogspot.com/
    The Halfway Schoolhouse was built in 1872, where it sat facing Grove on Nine Mile Road until 1921, when it was closed. In 1921 Mr. Kaiser bought it and moved it to the southeast corner on Nine Mile Road and Gratiot. It was pulled there on skids by horses. The East Detroit Historical Society moved the building back to within 20 yards of the original site on September 4th, 1984 when restoration began.
    The building is the original 1872 structure and was used mainly as a warehouse for coal supplies and storage between 1921 and 1984 when it was moved. Now it stands as it once did in 1872 when it was built to accommodate additional children because the "Red" schoolhouse was too small.
    Halfway is shown as being at 9 mile on this 1916 map. The schoolhouse is indicated too.
    http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/...ille++Halfway/

Default Map of Oakland County American Indian sites

Hermod said: Most of them felt they got a pretty good deal in Lewis Cass' purchase of the land.

That is a pretty good example of the brainwashing everyone gets in our public school system. Ask an Indian person sometime, what has been our tradition through time about this good deal. Go out and ask the Potawatomis in Kansas how their forebears felt about being swept out there.

For the record, here is a map of Oakland County after the Treaty of 1817. [[I wish I could make it bigger.) Notice there are three reservations, supposedly six sections total [[blue, yellow and magenta rectangles). What do you suppose happened to them? The good old Indian Relocation Act replaced this desirable land with prairie land in Kansas, "equal trade.' Families were driven out of their homes and forced to hit the "road" to Kansas in the 1830s. When they got there, the land was completely undeveloped and unsuitable for their lifestyle, so they had to start from scratch with scarce resources. They were forced off fully developed homesteads, villages and farmlands.

The reserves are near Inkster and Eight Mile, Pierce and Thirteen Mile, and the south shores of Orchard Lake.

This map is part of the Oakland County Historical and Cultural Map Series.

http://www.oakgov.com/oss/products_s...Americans.html

The second map in the series is also available:

The second map of the series, Historic Sites and Districts, is now complete. The product contains mapped information including the locations of early European settlement, national and state registered historic sites and districts, and locally recognized places. In addition, the product includes photograhs of some of the most recognized sites, images of several historic artifacts, along with helpful information to promote the preservation of our historic and cultural resources. The map is a great resource for local historians, planners, interested citizens, and a wonderful educational tool for school children to get an understanding for, and encourage the preservation of our cultural heritage. Printed in color on 42"x 36" paper.

http://www.oakgov.com/oss/products_s...districts.html
    Last edited by gazhekwe; May-31-10 at 10:45 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7