Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Come out and support DPD and remember our fallen friend

I would like to invite each of you to one of the following events, all open to the public.

Friday 8 am: Police Memorial Service - downtown Detroit

The annual event starts at Campus Martius at 8 am, with a march down Monroe St to St Mary's church located at 646 Monroe St. There, a 9 am service will be held remembering our fallen officers from over the years, and now sadly, Brian Huff as well. Included in this event is the 11th annual candle light vigil service, and 37th annual Detroit Police interfaith memorial service.

Friday 11am-9pm - Visitation for Officer Brian Huff -United Memorial Funeral Home 75 Dickinson Mount Clemens, MI

Family visitation is from 6pm-8pm

Saturday 11am - Funeral services - Greater Grace Temple 23500 W. 7 Mile Rd Detroit, MI

I'd like to offer a look into my and my fellow officer's eyes, as it's times like this that makes one realize how large our brotherhood/family is.

This will be the third funeral for a fallen Michigan police officer I have attended, with just shy of 3 years on the job, I can not even begin to describe the hurt each one provides. Yet, for me, I feel it is my duty to honor their memory with my attendance, and to serve as a reminder to myself of the dangers out there.

As many of you know, I worked in the auto industry after college, living the office life, tucked behind a cubical at each place of employment. I knew fairly early on, that wasn't what I wanted for a career. Still, life, and God wouldn't intervene until 6 years later in life.

The Michigan economy, most notably the auto industry, took a major hit around 2005. By fall of 2006, I found myself out of work, and ready to plan a new career in law enforcement. When one door closed, God stepped in and opened another for me. Almost a year after leaving my cubical behind, I found myself along with 26 others in front of ranking officers being yelled at and degraded. I had no idea the bond I would have with these fellow officers, as they quickly became part of brotherhood/family in which I could have never imagined.

Our family is not so unlike that of any other family. We are in fact Citizens On Patrol. Like any family, we share the problems that any family faces. We have family members that make bad choices, some can be forgiven, others we turn our backs on and are embarrassed by how they have made the family look...and yet, they are still family.

I've seen many things during my short tenure on the job, many things that your average citizen would not be able to stomach. The more I see, the greater tolerance I build. My emotional wall becomes stronger, though even the strongest walls have their weak spots. I have witnessed events that choke me up while on scene, as we are human after all.

The hardest part for me however is not what I may come in contact with at work, and I believe the same is likely true for others. The hardest part for me is walking out that back door leaving for work. If I'm lucky, my beautiful wife is there to kiss me goodbye, then to wave to me as I close the door to the garage. Most days however, she is away teaching. Yet still, when I get to the garage and look back, my two furry friends are standing at the back door, waiting for me to wave goodbye to them, as if they are thinking "be safe." Not a single day passes that I don't think about the possibility that this could be my last chance to say goodbye. THAT, is the hardest part of my job.

After a short commute to work, I am greeted by my other family, and the dangers that lie ahead are tucked away. We have a job to do, and I have one of the best families in the world looking out for me, doing whatever it takes to make sure I make it home. 5 other officers were injured, 4 shot, 1 injured ankle, trying to protect and pull Huff to safety. That is the kind of family I am a part of, and I couldn't be prouder.

I would hope that much of the public can find time to attend one of the three events in which I listed above. Our job often puts us in contact with people on their worst days, and the support often seems to be heavily outweighed the the criticisms. Please come out and show your support, and help us continue to build a better tomorrow for Detroit.

Nice post Sport. See you at 8

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and for dedicating your life to making Detroit safer.

GOD told you to quit the Auto Industry? Wow. What else did your imaginary friend tell you? Nothing like making someone elses death about you.

^^^
    Are you serious with that stupid comment??

No, I was kidding. Are you serious?

"Until you get the courage to step from behind the safety of your desk and computer strap on a bullet-proof vest, recite the code of ethics, kick in the door of a drug houses, go out and arrest murderers, rapists and robbers...until you get that courage, you should simply tell us thank you."

-Benny Napoleon.

I was simply offering a glimpse into our world, and encouraging people to come out and send Officer Huff off with one last "Thank You." As for God, he has had a greater influence on my life in the past few years than ever before. Does he speak to me directly? No, but he has shown me the way and covered my ass many of nights.

Thank you.
    My heart and prayers go out to Officer Huff's family, his widow and son especially, and all who came in contact with him.

I lost my uncle in the line of duty,every time this happens I relive it.My prayers go out to both his family and the law enforcement community. Dave

Thank you, Supersport. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you and your brothers and sisters in blue for what you risk every day. I've got work that I can't get out of, but I will be thinking about the DPD on Friday.

DetroitDad Guest

See you Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    "Until you get the courage to step from behind the safety of your desk and computer strap on a bullet-proof vest, recite the code of ethics, kick in the door of a drug houses, go out and arrest murderers, rapists and robbers...until you get that courage, you should simply tell us thank you."

-Benny Napoleon.

I was simply offering a glimpse into our world, and encouraging people to come out and send Officer Huff off with one last "Thank You." As for God, he has had a greater influence on my life in the past few years than ever before. Does he speak to me directly? No, but he has shown me the way and covered my ass many of nights.
    So with that rationale, GOD failed to help this poor officer for some reason? But GOD "covered your ass" multiple times instead? GOD chose to not show him the way and GOD chose to leave his wife and son behind without a father? My heart goes out to that family 100%.
    Last edited by downandouterdrive; May-06-10 at 10:22 AM.

Actually, I would venture to guess that God hand chose Officer Huff for something much more greater than any of us begin to fathom. You speak as though our living years are greater than the after life. I tend to believe otherwise.

Make sure to bump this in your cruiser on your next shift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

SS, I think that only those who are are who have family or close friends can truly relate to the sacrifices these brave men and woman make for US every day and night. I love the way you explained the DPD as a family with good and bad apples....very fitting. I have several family members and friends in DPD and I couldn't be prouder of any of them. God bless you and every one who serves with the right intentions and serves to make a positive difference in the city that I love.

downandouterdrive, is there a reason you need to pick on Supersport in this thread, a thread intended to give insight into one person's perspective and to encourage honoring a fallen police officer?

You certain have the right to say what you like and I do not begrudge you that. And this is a public forum, and obviously anyone on the forum needs to understand that they might be subject to ridicule. However, in this case, I think it is best to let things be. If Supersport's faith is important to him, it should be no skin off anyone's back. If he is a believer and you are not, what difference does it make? What we can all agree on is that the loss of this officer's life was an awful, tragic event.

I understand. You can't argue with faith. I'm 100% in favor about helping the family out. In fact, I'm attending the benefit tonight at The East Bar. The point of my original post was that Supersport made the intitial post mostly about himself. A chance for him to blather on about his own experiences as if it matters. He can frame it any way that he wants. But he usually loves to take any opportunity he can to talk about himself. This is just another example.

Why read and respond if you are not interested in his experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by downandouterdrive View Post
    I understand. You can't argue with faith. I'm 100% in favor about helping the family out. In fact, I'm attending the benefit tonight at The East Bar. The point of my original post was that Supersport made the intitial post mostly about himself. A chance for him to blather on about his own experiences as if it matters. He can frame it any way that he wants. But he usually loves to take any opportunity he can to talk about himself. This is just another example.

d&outerdr,

Your attack on Sport seems misplaced and ill-timed. If you need to express your feelings about the nature of god and our relationship with him, I'm sure you can start your own thread and fill it with your enlightened opinion. But here and now, you sound like a niggling bully who delights in taking words out of context and forming them to your needs.

I'm rather confused on what your motivation could be. To prove something I'm sure; but the nature of your attack makes you look like a very little man.

Yes, I agree. Thank you. This thread comes up in Google... Thanks for the information.
    Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Excellent post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and for dedicating your life to making Detroit safer.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    d&outerdr,

Your attack on Sport seems misplaced and ill-timed. If you need to express your feelings about the nature of god and our relationship with him, I'm sure you can start your own thread and fill it with your enlightened opinion. But here and now, you sound like a niggling bully who delights in taking words out of context and forming them to your needs.

I'm rather confused on what your motivation could be. To prove something I'm sure; but the nature of your attack makes you look like a very little man.
    Gnome, I agree 100%. You are confused.

The fundraiser had a great turnout. And the bar donated a significant amount of its profits. A special night to be certain.

Just got back from visitation for Brian. There is nothing that can possibly compare to a police officer's funeral. In my opinion [[uh oh), there is no blood that runs thicker than through the veins of men/women in blue. As I said in an earlier post, I've been to far too many fallen officer's funeral and it never gets easier....and Brian's was no exception. God Bless all of you...from those of us who appreciate what you do on a daily basis. I, for one, doubt I have the wherewithall to put my life on the line for complete strangers day after day. It takes a special "somebody" to find and answer that calling...so THANK YOU BRIAN...thank all of you...and be safe.

Yes, no matter what, cops still need a lot of courage to confront the nutcases.An apparently routine call can be life threatening. Also, I am not religious but I would not attempt to tell someone who goes out there, that their faith in God is futile. Wrong call.

DC48080 Guest

The fundraiser at the East Bar on Thursday night raised over $11,000 for Officer Huff's family. It was a really generous thing that the folks at the bar did.

It really is a friendly neighborhood type place. More people should check it out and thank them for supporting the Detroit Police Dept.