Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ernie Harwell has died

We knew it was coming, but it doesn't make it any less sad.

Oh no!

Good-bye, Ernie Harwell. You will be truly missed.

I can't say, like my dad and mom and my grandparents and my aunts and uncles, that I grew up listening to him, but I remember listening to him. He was a great man for the Tigers and for Detroit.

When I taught at CassTech in the 80's, I moonlighted down the street at Tiger Stadium in a supervisory capacity. I had the the opportunity many times to cross paths with Ernie. He was welcoming to everyone he met, and would stay after games talking to fans, answering questions and giving autographs. Never ever a negative gesture or unkind remark. My biggest thrill was the time he invited me to sit behind him and Paul Carey in the booth as they broadcast the game. It was an experience I will never forget.

The Dude Guest

God Bless Ernie Harwell. I wonder if the Tigers are going to wear memorial patches for him.

Now cracks a broken heart!
    Goodnight Sweet Prince,
    and flights of Angels sing thee thy rest.

God Bless the man who was always humble and had great faith in the Lord. Ernie was the best and we will miss him. R.I.P.

I will never forget when I spoke at my graduation in 2008 [[WSU). Everyone, save for some of the overseas strudents, loved it. People were giddy when he got up and accepted his honorray degree and he gave a short speech.

R.I.P. Ernie, we all know you are with God now...

Ernie was the best broadcaster I ever heard and the nicest man I ever met. I will never forget the kindness he shoed me -- a total stranger -- during a very dark period in my life. Thank you, Ernie ... thank you.

Like losing a family member for baseball fans of my generation, especially those of us who grew up in Michigan. One of the game's greatest broadcasters, and an even finer gentleman. RIP, Ernie, and heartfelt condolences to Miss Lulu.

We`re going to miss you Mr. Harwell...the only announcer of MLB for 7 decades...also only broadcaster ever traded for a player...The "Voice of the Tigers" is..." long gone:...

When I still lived in the D, I'd always be making jokes about how he'd say " Thier going to bring the youngster to the mound ". His voice WAS the Tigers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Harwell

http://www.museum.tv/rhofsection.php?page=214

Just tragic, I'm so sorry to hear that. Always be the voice of baseball in the Detroit area.

A part of my life has left me...I'll always hear your voice on the transistor through my pillow

All I can hear in head is "that ball is looooong gone" - made it nice to drive home in the summer and get close enough to hear him calling the game as we made it through Cleveland and the static would slowly subside. He was a true gentleman and his farewell speech still brings tears to my eyes. I'll never forget his voice on the radio - goodnight and farewell Ernie

I interviewed him in 1999- his final year in the press box- we spoke for over an hour- he hated to be interviewed- but graciously allowed himself to discuss his life with many ink-wretched scribes that year- he shall be missed

http://gallery.me.com/walkerpub#100289

A bit of Detroit history passed away. I am not even into sports at all but learned of that "voice" from a few times hearing on the radio in passing... and the "looonnng gone" trade mark. An signature voice indeed. Peace to his wife Lulu... what a sweet name. A nice lady I am sure.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-10 at 10:31 PM.

What a wonderful life he had, though, huh? RIP

Thanks for the memories Ernie. Win or lose, you helped me pass many a summer day listening to the Tigers. You'll be missed.

Bless. RIP.

If there were more people like Ernie Harwell, the world would be a much better place. RIP to a true gentleman.

How this man who with his voice over the radio brought so much color into our lives. He'd call a game so beautifully we were transported there with him to the ballpark. He made our summers special. He was brought into all of our homes as an invited guest. He was family.

And with his passing, we are all a little richer for having "known" him and a little poorer now that he's gone. God blessed us all with Ernie Harwell. May Ernie bless heaven the way he blessed us here on this mortal plane.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast