Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Saint Anthony Playground cleanup

Hello, I have been following Detroit Yes for about three years.
    This is my first post.

I have been cleaning Detroit's Saint Anthony Playground for about a week now and could use some help.
    People from the neighborhood are slowly taking notice one or two help some days. I hope some of you are willing to lend an extra hand.
    I will be there today from around 6:45pm until dark.
    I will also be there Saturday at 11:30am until around 6pm.
    Lawn mowers are greatly appreciated and don't forget your gloves.

Saint Anthony Playground is near the intersection of Van Dyke and Gratiot in Detroit. You can google "Saint Anthony Playground Detroit" for a usable map.

I have also created a website where people can create and search for grassroots volunteer opportunities.
    http://detroitactiongroup.webs.com/
    Check the events page for more Saint Anthony Playground cleanup info.

Let's make it happen!
    Marcus

Hey Marcus...welcome to this very entertaining-amusing-enlightening-informative-appreciated forum.....wish you well on youre project!

Seems like you know the area well.
    The church moved:
    http://www.aodonline.org/AODOnline/N...for+merger.htm
    A woman's development center recently moved there and needs a hand in caring for the space.

You can check my website for updates on the cleanup.

I had a candid conversation with a young man who lives across the street from the playground.
    The playground's neighbors need lawn mowers. There are several people on two blocks sharing one lawn mower.

Does anyone have a used lawn mower that I can buy for cheap? I could resell it to them.
    I am also considering a carwash etc. to raise money for the purchase of a lawnmower.
    The equipment would help them cut residential grass and the playground.

Slots are still open for saturday volunteering

Hey Marcus, Sent you a message as well but figured would post here as well. I am interested in helping out but have plans already for Saturday. Post if you are planning on any other days. What kind of progress have you made so far. I looked at GSV and it looks pretty overgrown. hoping it is early enough in the season to not be quite that over grown.

DetroitDad Guest

Marcus, try asking about the lawn mower on the People Movers site, also started by Detroiters. Also, you might be interested in talking with the person with DetroitYES username "Cub", who started the Georgia Street Community Garden.

DetroitDad- I will look at the People Movers site and I will look out for Cub. And thanks for joining the site.

bike4beer- I will be at the playground today at 645pm [[I have a day job).
    Use the Detroit Action Group Website to email me, and check the days someone will be at the playground.
    I will be using blast emails from the DAG website to keep people updated.
    Here is my direct email:
    marcus_dag@hotmail.com

Progress?
    Great news, the Women's Development Center [[Marion Center for Women's Growth) will volunteer a riding lawn mower for the cause.
    The playground interior has been de-littered and grass cut.
    About 50% of the playground branch overgrowth has been removed.
    More of the playground's immediate residents are expressing interest in helping on Saturdays.
    The Marion Center may provide long term foundational care for the site.

In short, I want the project to be consist of the playground's immediate neighbors.
    I am becoming more confident of that outcome.

May is the City of Detroit's Motor City Makeover month.

Detroit will have special trash pickup one Saturday of May for each of Detroit's sectors.
    Find your sector here:
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=129

This is an opportunity to clean a small area and have the oversized waste picked up by the city.

This also applies to Saint Anthony Playground, Saturday volunteers will be appreciated.
    Lawn mowers, string trimmers, chain saws, rose snips, gloves, safety glasses.

Maps, update photos, etc: