Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

[quote=Sstashmoo;143160]Quote: "we know that the practice of religion was discouraged and outlawed in communist societies..but that animosity and contempt was there for a reason: the oppressive behaviour of Christian landowners and employers...."

Ahh yes, because communism is such a sweetheart. Yeah it's those dang Christians messing up Communism again..[/quote]
    I'm not sure if there is a whole lot of difference in the practices of christians [[religious or political?) and communists [[political or religious?) over the ages. They've both enslaved, brainwashed, redistributed wealth, fought wars over ideology and beliefs, etc, etc. Not to say the political/religious systems haven't done some good. I believe there are as many similarities as differences. Christians don't like communism far more than they don't like fascism because communists are 'godless atheists'. Fascists generally believe in god, they just insist you believe in their god, whatever god they may worship while committing genocide.

Quote: "I'm not sure if there is a whole lot of difference in the practices of christians [[religious or political?) and communists [[political or religious?) over the ages."

Oh bullshit..

Atheism is not knowing the difference. [[Sstashmoo)

rb wrote: "that makes no sense."

See what I mean? What that means is, some folks wouldn't know the truth if it jumped up off the ground and hit em in the ass. That's what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "I'm not sure if there is a whole lot of difference in the practices of christians [[religious or political?) and communists [[political or religious?) over the ages."

Oh bullshit..
    What a cogent argument! What a witty retort!

Atheism is not knowing the difference. [[Sstashmoo)

rb wrote: "that makes no sense."

See what I mean? What that means is, some folks wouldn't know the truth if it jumped up off the ground and hit em in the ass. That's what it means.
    Religion has no unique truth, just belief. Learn the difference.

Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.
    H. L. Mencken
    Last edited by maxx; May-05-10 at 06:49 PM.

Retroit Guest

I get the impression that some atheists are just as determined to get people not to believe as some Christians are to get them to believe.

So who's worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I get the impression that some atheists are just as determined to get people not to believe as some Christians are to get them to believe.

So who's worse?
    The religious make declarations of faith....I make declarations of Atheism, Retroit. You wont hear me suggest a couples child is not 'legitimate' because they havent went before some religious figurehead...or describing individual behaviours as 'sin'<too simplistic...I generally dont try to sway a person to change their belief system unless I feel antagonized insulted or am just spoiling for a good debate

So who's worse?
    That's a good point. Sorry to deflate anyone in this discussion, I'm not determined to get people not to believe, I like to shoot down religious people who insist that faith and religion are for real for everyone, and feel the need to cram religion down everyones throats. I also get a good laugh hearing arguments made on behalf of religion : magic underwear [[thank god, so to speak, they dispensed with that concept), the holy ghost [[holy smoley!), seven virgins [[or whatever the number is), speaking in tongues [[most of those people can't even speak their native language), snake handling [[ a representative of the devil?), hallucinogenic drug ceremonies [[as close to a heavenly experience as you may ever get), etc, etc. Then there are people threatening death to cartoonists for depicting gods that have never been seen by anyone. C'mon, if you want to believe in a god or ten gods, I have no problem with it. Just don't impose him/her/it/them in my life.

Quote: "I like to shoot down religious people who insist that faith and religion are for real for everyone, and feel the need to cram religion down everyones throats."

You and maxx seem to be suffering from paranoid delusions. Nobody is trying to push their beliefs on anyone.

Quote: "I like to shoot down religious people who insist that faith and religion are for real for everyone, and feel the need to cram religion down everyones throats."

You and maxx seem to be suffering from paranoid delusions. Nobody is trying to push their beliefs on anyone.
    You clearly haven't heard what the leaders of numerous groups [[pentacostals, focus on the family, promisekeepers, etc.) have said.
    here are some from the last 5 years:
    Atheists should be denied citizenship [[also jews, muslims, hindus, catholics, etc)
    Destroy public schools and force people to send children to christian-run schools
    Require a proclomation of christian faith in order to vote
    Deny atheists the right to hold public office, serve on a jury or provide testamony in court
    All research facilities need a spiritual advisor to make sure their research fits with christian beliefs.

I won't even begin to tell you what I have overheard at promisekeeper meetings regarding the role of women, but it would certainly be approved by some of the less strict wahabiists

Quote: "You clearly haven't heard what the leaders of numerous groups [[pentacostals, focus on the family, promisekeepers, etc.) have said."

"Heard" would require listening which I don't do to idiots. You're right, I haven't heard. Ignore them. Nobody really takes these folks seriously.
    Media loves to drag them out.

Quote: "Atheists should be denied citizenship [[also jews, muslims, hindus, catholics, etc)
    Destroy public schools and force people to send children to christian-run schools
    Require a proclomation of christian faith in order to vote
    Deny atheists the right to hold public office, serve on a jury or provide testamony in court
    All research facilities need a spiritual advisor to make sure their research fits with christian beliefs."

Yeah, like any of this would ever be made law. C'mon' you're smarter than that..

Strangely, the only people I see trying to tell others how to live is the left. i.e. Smoking bans, religious expression, etc. do as I do or get out policies. I claim neither party, just an observation.

"Heard" would require listening which I don't do to idiots. You're right, I haven't heard. Ignore them. Nobody really takes these folks seriously.
    Media loves to drag them out...
    Yeah, like any of this would ever be made law. C'mon' you're smarter than that..
    Laws baring atheists from holding office or giving testamony are on the books in 13 states. school boards [[local and state) in numerous states are imposing books that distort science and history in the name of christianity

Strangely, the only people I see trying to tell others how to live is the left. i.e. Smoking bans, religious expression, etc. do as I do or get out policies. I claim neither party, just an observation.
    conservatives have co-sponsored virtually every anti-smoking law in the country.

As far as banning religious expression, not ONE atheist I know wants to do that. We just believe in the establishment clause, meaning it should not be done at state-sponsored events, locations, etc. on your land, in public, fine. requiring prayer before council meetings, requiring a president to announce a day of prayer [[that goes against, clearly, the "no religious test" clause) sponsoring religious writings in, on etc our government institutions, then no, unless you give every religion the right, start stamping coins with "in Shiva we trust" and make coins with slogans for every religion and non-religious group.

seriously, how would you like it if every city council meeting started with an appeal to Odin?

Quote: "Laws baring atheists from holding office or giving testamony are on the books in 13 states."

Do you have a source for this? You mean proposed, not law, correct?

Quote: "seriously, how would you like it if every city council meeting started with an appeal to Odin?"

Well that would make about as much sense as paying homage to Bozo the clown. About the same amount of followers.

Quote: "sponsoring religious writings in, on etc our government institutions, then no, unless you give every religion the right, start stamping coins with "in Shiva we trust" and make coins with slogans for every religion and non-religious group."

Nonsense. Again, the US is made up of 80% Christian following. It is only logical you are going to see expressions of that. If it be on the money so be it. There are also symbolism of freemasonry on our money and to take it further into the fringe, symbolism of secret organizations like "Illuminati" etc. Frankly, I could care less what is put on our money, as long as its legal tender and I have some. It changes nothing for me?

Quote: "Laws baring atheists from holding office or giving testamony are on the books in 13 states"

I Googled this out of curiosity. It's 5 states and they are considered "unenforceable" It's like those stupid laws for having standing water in your yard or some BS. Do you folks really think a law like this, banning atheist from public office could be passed in this day and age? This is more handwringing from the lunatic fringe. Straw at it's finest.

Heaven is an absolute monarchy.
    Well stated Retroit!!

Gawd I miss the good ole days of the Albigensian Crusades... they really knew how to put heretics in their place back in the good ole days of the 13th century....

Quote: "Laws baring atheists from holding office or giving testamony are on the books in 13 states"

I Googled this out of curiosity. It's 5 states and they are considered "unenforceable" It's like those stupid laws for having standing water in your yard or some BS. Do you folks really think a law like this, banning atheist from public office could be passed in this day and age? This is more handwringing from the lunatic fringe. Straw at it's finest.
    it's at least 7 - Arkansas, Maryland, Pennsylvania, North & South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. In North Carolina, several groups are at least threatening to challenge an elected atheist council person's right to take a seat at council meetings

there are large, wealthy and influential groups who are actively trying to do all those things I mentioned. that is a fact. it is hardly "straw." Are you saying I should just go away when someone like George H.W. Bush comes out and says I shouldn't be considered a citizen? that is just plain stupid

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    The religious make declarations of faith..
    But the problem is that a lot of xtians I talk to don't talk about faith. They talk about the "truth" in their religion no matter how loony their beliefs. In fact the Biblical literalists are usually the most adamant that their beliefs are facts. And it's that sort of bullheadedness that keeps issues like ID and prayer in school and Jesus on public property alive.

Ssatshmoo: It is only logical you are going to see expressions of that. If it be on the money so be it. There are also symbolism of freemasonry on our money and to take it further into the fringe, symbolism of secret organizations like "Illuminati" etc. Frankly, I could care less what is put on our money, as long as its legal tender and I have some. It changes nothing for me?

maxx: I'm embarrassed that we still have such symbols of superstition on our money. Many other nations manage to have currency without such nonsense.

Quote: "I'm embarrassed that we still have such symbols of superstition on our money."

Are you also embarrassed that you live in the greatest country on the planet? Other countries tried your path, it ain't working out so well. If people choose to have faith in something, believe in something that makes them better people, what's the problem? Why do you care? Just ignore them, you admit you think it's superstition. Why all the research and continual whining about it? Move on.

Quote: "I'm embarrassed that we still have such symbols of superstition on our money."

Are you also embarrassed that you live in the greatest country on the planet? Other countries tried your path, it ain't working out so well. If people choose to have faith in something, believe in something that makes them better people, what's the problem? Why do you care? Just ignore them, you admit you think it's superstition. Why all the research and continual whining about it? Move on.
    Here you go with the old 'god and country' routine. Like YOUR country and YOUR religion are the only and the best. No one other than your fellow religious and country people possess intelligence, ability, or societies that may possibly be as good as yours. That statement tells the whole story of religion and nationalism, neatly and succinctly. Rah, rah, shish boom bah, who's NUMBER 1. We are! We are! Yay team!

Sounds like you need a week or two on the Ho Chi Min.

Sounds like you need a week or two on the Ho Chi Min.
    Or maybe in Guantanamo? That was a real 'christ like' statement. Wishful thinking on your part? Again, a typical religious, vengeful, hateful, retributive statement. We don't have to make a case against religion. You make it for us.

Quote: "We don't have to make a case against religion."

Like any of you could..

Quote: "We don't have to make a case against religion."

Like any of you could..
    religion makes the case against itself quite well, at least to those who aren't brainwashed by it. you can probably see the cases against hinduism and islam quite clearly. guess what? the same thing goes for your religion

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Religion-faith-sprituality can be [[is) very self centered....MY faith-MY religion-IM going to talk to MY rebbe-MY pastor-MY priest-MY imam-My guru, all of whom have their own selfish needs,wants and agendas....

Faith is not wanting to know what is true. [[Frederick Nietsche)
    And this is what Jesus has done for ME! Not what I have done to improve people's lives.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast