Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Herman Kiefer Hospital Complex

I spent nearly a 1/2 hour searching for a campus map for the HK hospital property with no luck.

Can anyone confirm which buildings are.....

#1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, Nurses Home.

I'm quite sure that the one on my list marked as HOSPITAL is the one where the main entrance is.

Default History of the Fallout Shelter Sign

Hi, I have been reading with great interest about the Fallout Shelter mapping project. I just though the group might find this history of the Fallout Shelter Sign of some interest:

http://knol.google.com/k/bill-geerha...fuvb7s5ifz/12#

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    I spent nearly a 1/2 hour searching for a campus map for the HK hospital property with no luck.

Can anyone confirm which buildings are.....

#1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, Nurses Home.
    Are you trying to identify what's currently there, or what historically was there? I can try to correlate a 1925 Sanborn map with a modern sat image if that's what you want. There was a nurse's home on the corner of Hamilton Av.[[Lodge service dr,) and Tuberculosis Av. [[Pingree Ct) which was torn down. Don't know if any current bldg was used as such.

This is about the best that I can figure out what I think you're asking. Info taken from 1925 Sanborn map, vol 9, sheet 57 [[for those of you playing along at home).

Attachment 5955
    Green = existing
    Red = demolished

A = Admin Bldg
    L = Laundry
    N = Nurses Home
    T = Tuberculosis Pavilion

There were a few other smaller buildings on the property back then, among them 7 single story houses[[?) labeled as men's tuberculosis housing. The bldg labeled as four in the photo, isn't listed on the map as such, it is labeled as "Three in One Pavilion" whatever that was.

I just read that Fallout shelter article just over the weekend [[via the Conelrad website).

And Thanks Hornwrecker, That will help my mapping.
    I'm only placing markers for existing buildings.

The link to my map is here....... http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=5418

No problem. I was always a bit curious about what some of those buildings were. Looking at the 1961 aerial photo from culma, L, N, 3, & 5 were still standing back then.

Thanks again.

You wouldn't happen to have a campus map of Marygrove College on McNichols?
    I see one building there with Shelter signs on it. But my List shows another 3 more.
    I've been meaning to go to there and HK hospital, But I need to find the time.

And at HK hospital, Buildings 1, 2, 4 are in severe decay. That's how it looks from the service drive side. I'm sure they will get knocked down in the near future.

Don't think I have anything that would identify any of the buildings there.

A place to look would be the old DTE aerial photos which start in 1949, just in time for the Cold War, as long as you know what you're looking for.

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/photos/ap_index.htm
    Last edited by Hornwrecker; May-03-10 at 10:47 PM. Reason: add

Those DTE photo's are nice, but no help for identifying which building has which name on the marygrove campus.

i grew up across the street from Herman Keifer, we lived in an apartment on the corner of Taylor & Byron in th e 60's. we went to Crosman Elementary and Hutchins jrHigh. i played football and soccer on the front lawn of the hospital almost every day. we used to go through the underground tunnels which connected every building of the complex from Taylor back to the Nursing School. how recent is this picture? if i recall, the building on the top right side was the Central Plant. i know the old boiler's where there, and it was also the main laundry. this picture brings back a flood of memories, and a flood of tears.

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    Those DTE photo's are nice, but no help for identifying which building has which name on the marygrove campus.
    Here is an image from a Sanborn map circa 1950 of the Marygrove Campus:

Attachment 5973

The large building in the middle is identified as the Liberal Arts Building. The large building to the left is Madame Cadillac Hall. The smaller building to the south of that is the College Faculty Building and Dormitory. The building on the far left is the Power House. The building in the lower right corner was Immaculata High School, and the adjacent smaller building was the High School Faculty Building and Dormitory. There is also a smaller building next to the driveway that is unidentified.

From the evidence of Google Maps satellite view all of these buildings appear to still be standing.

Thanks.

According to that map The Liberal Arts, Madame Cadillac Hall, and Power House are now identified for me.
    I have a Convent at 8500 Marygrove Dr. and another Convent at 8200 Marygrove Dr.

I'm sure the building next to the school at Marygrove dr and Greenlawn St. is the 8200 Convent. But the other at 8500 is not how google says it is. It shows that building at the 8600 block.

Ok folks, Here's my latest unfindable..

Anyone know where I can find an old campus map of Mercy College at 8200 w outer drive