Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Abandoned Highway

Hello. Looking for a small stretch of highway [[or some multi lane road that looks like a highway) that is not being used. Need to conduct a photoshoot where individual cars can be choreographed and not disrupt the flow of traffic. Willing to travel up to an hour outside of detroit metro. Any ideas?

Chris

While not in Michigan, I went by this in Illinois recently. 4 lanes and abandoned. Although I'm not sure they'd be willing to let anyone in. If I'm not mistaken they closed it because the roadway risked collapsing. But you never know

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebro...79662/sizes/l/

You may have to be willing to travel a further distance to find one. I don't know of any nearby but I do know of one in Pennsylvania.

LodgeDodger Guest

What are you? Anti-Michigan?

I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly good, abandoned roads in this area.

Does it have to be weed free?

What about that abandoned velodrome? Where is that again?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Does it have to be weed free?

What about that abandoned velodrome? Where is that again?
    Mound and Outer Drive. Don't think it could pass for a multilane highway, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post

Tru, but he's looking for abandoned MULTI-LINE HIGHWAY.

I don't think there's one within a 200 mile radius of Metro Detroit [[obviously we love our highways).

How about W Jefferson west of Rosa Parks toward the bridge? That looks abandoned to me.

East Davison Freeway is torn up for construction. You could probably pull over and sneak off a couple of shots late Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post

Can you read? He said highway.

The nature of Vex's question is such that it leads to more questions.

Is it motion or still? Theatrical or commercial? Glamour or product? Human focused or sheetmetal? Stunt or percision driving? If stunt will explosives be involved? Night or day? How many hours/days do you need the location. How much can you afford, fee wise? Road surface condition...

There are at least 10 places I could name right now, but each one might be exactly wrong for your desired purpose; therefore, if you really want good information Vex, I suggest you flesh out your query.

Also, when you say 1 hr outside the metro area, is that 1 rush-hour hour or what? and maybe you can tell me where the Metro area stops, because some folks think it is Brighton, others say Ann Arbor...

Retroit Guest

^Technical Director

I found one. Its the old southbound road from Gratiot to west I94.

14. Default

This might be a candidate "Abandoned N. Gibraltar Road". I found this one awhile back while doing satellite flyovers of downriver.
    Attachment 5940

Street view of blocked entrance.
    Attachment 5941

Attachment 5942

LodgeDodger Guest

Depending on the size of highway you need, perhaps the portion of test track at the Packard Proving Grounds would work?

Quote Originally Posted by dodgemain View Post
    I found one. Its the old southbound road from Gratiot to west I94.
    It's 2-lane though I think.

How about French Road behind City Airport?

Its 4 lanes, just recently paved a few years ago, nobody travels it, its about 2-3 miles of staright road.

There is like 2 houses on 1 side of the road, and the fence from Detroit city Airport on the other side.

You just need to be finished before 10PM because thats when people have urban drag races!

Thanks everybody! I will check out the areas mentioned, sounds like some good suggestions. Appreciate the satellite images.

Chris

You could also call MDOT and ask them.

Ecorse out by Willow run, while technically not abandoned, might as well be. The location is rather rural, but not farm.

While not a highway, reminds me of 696 before the middle part like in the photo below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:I696-1988.JPG

...the ghost ramp on the University Dr. exit of I-75 northbound. If you're getting off of Chrysler Dr. and want to 75 north, one must go up to University and proceed on the University Dr. exit to northbound 75. I don't know how to do the Google maps thing, but if you go to the aerial shot, you can see where the ghost ramp is and where a ramp would be built.

Ha ha! You guys are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    While not in Michigan, I went by this in Illinois recently. 4 lanes and abandoned. Although I'm not sure they'd be willing to let anyone in. If I'm not mistaken they closed it because the roadway risked collapsing. But you never know

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebro...79662/sizes/l/
    That's in Indiana very close to IN/IL state line.

I think the best prospect would be Ecorse Rd by Willow Run Airport. It's a four lane median-divided highway that isn't used all that often. Most travelers use I-94 or Michigan Ave. While it's not technically abandoned, the level of traffic that uses the road certainly doesn't warrant its size. It runs for about 3 miles between Belleville Rd and Michigan Ave.

Here's a Google Streetview of the stretch:
    Last edited by hudkina; May-05-10 at 01:58 PM.

Another possibility would be the Vining/Smith Rd corridor north of Metro Airport in Romulus. It's also 4 lanes and has a center median, though it looks more like a boulevard than an actual highway. It was constructed in hopes of developing the surrounding land, but nothing has happened. The total stretch is about 1.5 miles, but it has a sharp right bend. While also not technically abandoned, it too has very low levels of traffic. The best thing is that it looks brand new.

Here's the Google streetview:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast