Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What's the name of the supermarket......

.....in the shopping center at 8 mile&Gratiot? It's in the former A&P/Farmer Jack location. I've been in there a few times but due to a senior moment I can't remember the name of the store to save my life.
    I'd appreciate an assist.
    Thanks.

Is it Mike's Fresh Market?

It's called Mor For Less [[spelled as so). It's very similar to a Save-A-Lot.

Here's The Website...

http://www.mflgrocery.com/index.htm

It used to be Saveway Food Center, another location for the Saveway Supermarket [[Vegas Food Center) that is/was located on 7 Mile between Schoenherr and Hoover. The same people might own Mor For Less, but under a different banner as I've seen quite a few people who worked at Saveway Supermarket working ther nowe.

Just this past winter the owners of Saveway claimed they were closing their 7 Mile location for some remodeling [[sign's still up), but if they have that nice store on 8 Mile & Gratiot and boarded up the 7 Mile location, then theyre not coming back.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-01-10 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Is it Mike's Fresh Market?
    Mike's Fresh Market is on 7 Mile & Gratiot, where Kroger used to be.

OK, thanks, I was on the wrong mile rd.

At 8 Mile & Gratiot there used to be 2 large stores... Shoppers Fair [[similar to a Kmart) and Chatham Super Market.... but that was many decades ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    At 8 Mile & Gratiot there used to be 2 large stores... Shoppers Fair [[similar to a Kmart) and Chatham Super Market.... but that was many decades ago....
    Yep - and I definitely remember spending many hours in that Shoppers Fair - it was one of my grandmother's favorite stores. Another similar favorite was Arlans which was located a mile or two west at 8 Mile and Groesbeck. Then there was Yankee's at I think 14 mile and Hoover.

Shoppers Fair later actually did get replaced by a KMart.

I just tried to Google Shoppers Fair in the hopes of finding a picture of the Shoppers Fair sign with the red and green ovals; alas, while I didn't find a picture, I did find a website that contains a lot of other old Detroit memories:

http://www.timewarpmemories.com/memorylane.html
    Last edited by EMG; May-01-10 at 07:31 PM.

Buy American Guest

Anyone remember Spartans and Atlantic Mills?

Isnt Spartans the generic supplier to the indy grocery stores?

I remember the building and grand opening of Atlantic Mills on Dequindre just north of 8 Mile. There was also a grocery store there, but don't remember what brand.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Isnt Spartans the generic supplier to the indy grocery stores?
    Yes, they are the grocery supplier for a lot of independent stores all around Michigan.

Anyone remember the Yankee store chain?...an early pre-Kmart discount store.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Yes, they are the grocery supplier for a lot of independent stores all around Michigan.
    I think Spartan department stores were a different company. I remember the Spartan store on Dix and Champaign in Lincoln Park, the Atlantic Mils store on Michigan and Henry Ruff.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's called Mor For Less [[spelled as so). It's very similar to a Save-A-Lot.

Here's The Website...

http://www.mflgrocery.com/index.htm

It used to be Saveway Food Center, another location for the Saveway Supermarket [[Vegas Food Center) that is/was located on 7 Mile between Schoenherr and Hoover. The same people might own Mor For Less, but under a different banner as I've seen quite a few people who worked at Saveway Supermarket working ther nowe.

Just this past winter the owners of Saveway claimed they were closing their 7 Mile location for some remodeling [[sign's still up), but if they have that nice store on 8 Mile & Gratiot and boarded up the 7 Mile location, then theyre not coming back.
    Thank you very much!