Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Packard Plant Vandalism

The following videos are tragic, a prime example of ignorance. More, they illustrate the complete lack of respect that many youths have for Detroit history.

YouTube - TV Land

YouTube - Chaos in TV Land

They destroyed thousands of dollars worth of vintage televisions!

Morons.
    Last edited by Laughsmith; April-22-09 at 02:45 AM.

I collect antique television sets. I'd love to get my hands on a few of those

the old Packard grounds in its entirety just needs to go.. period.. same as with the Michigan Central Depot-- if there isn't a substantive redevelopment plan.. it just needs to be demolished.. as far as turning part of it into a museum or whatever-- again-- where were these plans, 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago? it's now or never..

Quote Originally Posted by Laughsmith View Post
    The following videos are tragic, a prime example of ignorance. More, they illustrate the complete lack of respect that many youths have for Detroit history.

YouTube - TV Land

YouTube - Chaos in TV Land

They destroyed thousands of dollars worth of vintage televisions!

Morons.
    Ok, have you been in there? Have you read up on that place? If you have, then you would know that those TV's were dumped there because they contain parts made from materials that are now banned. There are also stripped cars in there, and the last time I was in there I saw piles and PILES and PILES of shoes.

People dump things there. Things that are of no value because they are destroyed or damaged or defective or contaminated. The kid was kicking in a TV set that was already broken. They did not do that damage that you saw in that video. That was done by the people who dumped those there probably.

Besides, I would say that most of the real damage done in there is by scrappers and the biker gangs and drug addicts. It's not like kids are just hanging out there and breaking stuff.

CFABDETROIT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    the old Packard grounds in its entirety just needs to go.. period.. same as with the Michigan Central Depot-- if there isn't a substantive redevelopment plan.. it just needs to be demolished.. as far as turning part of it into a museum or whatever-- again-- where were these plans, 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago? it's now or never..
    So in your way of thinking, if a building is not in use tear it down???

Quote Originally Posted by CFABDETROIT View Post
    So in your way of thinking, if a building is not in use tear it down???
    In this case, absolutely. There is no way the Packard will ever be anything. It's been abandoned for nearly half a CENTURY. Not a decade. Century. There are a lot of naysayers who say the Lafayette Building or the Book Tower or whatever don't have a future. I disagree with them. But on the Packard? C'mon. Tear that schitt down.

CFABDETROIT Guest

And what do you propose they do with the empty lot that will be left?

On the Packard site? Return it to green space. This is certainly one case where ANYTHING is better than the abandoned, collapsing shell of a building that has become a trash dump. And this is coming from a preservationist.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagesoul View Post
    Ok, have you been in there? Have you read up on that place?

People dump things there. Things that are of no value...
    I respectfully disagree with you, VintageSoul, everything has value to someone.

And you miss my point entirely. Yes, the Packard Plant is a dumping ground. Yes, there are all sorts of vandalism, architectural theft, drug use and squatting going on there. That's what happens when buildings are abandoned and left to rot. What irritates the hell out of me is that some punk kid doesn't have enough common sense to recognize the remaining value in any those things. I know a dozen people who would have given their eyeteeth for just a few of the parts from those sets.

But it goes even deeper than that. Many kids, though not necessarily all, have little respect for ANYTHING vintage. To them, it's all just old junk that doesn't mean anything to anyone. Well, they are wrong. They are trespassing vandals. More to the point, they are stupid trespassing vandals as they actually thought it was a good idea to videotape themselves breaking the law and then posting it on YouTube for the rest of the world to see.

I'm sorry, but I cannot see how this is any different from scrapping. The end result is the same.

Upon further consideration, however, my ire may be directed more toward their ignorance of historical value than anything else...
    Last edited by Laughsmith; April-30-09 at 03:43 AM.

Keep it mowed.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Laughsmith View Post
    I know a dozen people who would have given their eyeteeth for just a few of the parts from those sets.
    Well, than they should have gone to Packard Plant to get the parts before all the TVs were smashed.

What are you guys even blathering about? Worried about some old TVs? They are still there if you want to scrounge through them for parts. Not all of them are destroyed. What we really should be worried about is the REAL damage being caused at the Packard Plant by careless scrappers who are removing entire steel support beams, causing massive collapses. At least three areas of the plant have collapsed [[the south double-level bridge has fallen out, the train sheds have collapsed, and an interior building on the north side has collapsed, all because scrappers have removed steel beams) and several other parts of the plant have been severely compromised due to scrapping. Not to mention the elements have taken its toll on the southernmost & tallest building of the complex, nearest to the cemetery, where almost the entire roof has fallen in. This has all happened in the last six months or so.

And you guys are arguing about bloody TVs?

PS - I am an advocate of the demolition of the Packard Plant with the exception of the buildings that front Grand Boulevard its historic Grand Boulevard footbridge. The complex is far too large, non-functional, outdated, and in the poorest of the poor condition to save. It is also a stunning embarrassment for the city & its people.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; April-30-09 at 11:03 AM.

buildingsofdetroit-- Actually, much of the Packard Plant was in use for warehousing and small businesses until Archer kicked them out.

Though lesser known than the towering abandoned Michigan Central Depot near downtown, the Packard plant is by far Detroit's biggest derelict facility with 3.5 million square feet of space. Some experts say they believe it could be the largest mostly-empty structure in North America.

How much is Bioresources Inc worth?

Apparently, they have enough juice to keep the City Council Members mouths shut regarding any talk of demolition or securing the site.

Archer did more harm than good for this city.

...at this point, the entire structure should be demolished.. Reforesting is an option.. a nature preserve..
    detroit should have an anti-blight task force as an arm of city government..

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    buildingsofdetroit-- Actually, much of the Packard Plant was in use for warehousing and small businesses until Archer kicked them out.
    Archer didn't kick them out. He tried to foreclose, because over a million dollars was owed on the property and demolish the site, but the lower court ruled that $700,000.00 that was paid was enough for the owners to keep the site. At the time there were 89 tenants there, but, it was more in the form of vendors that you might find around the CAYMC or at Hart plaza during a festival, and they were pretty much restricted to one section right off of E. Grand Blvd going towards Mt. Elliot. He was trying to do it because he had obtained 3.8 million from the state and the site was also a part of the Empowerment Zone area. I think he had some developers lined up the same way he had Compuware lined up once Hudson's was gone.

Who knows, we probably would have a viable business there at this point. This was in 1997 and the economy was still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Archer did more harm than good for this city.
    The same came be said for many of Detroit's mayors, from Miriani to Kilpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    they were pretty much restricted to one section right off of E. Grand Blvd going towards Mt. Elliot.
    I played paint-ball there around '92 or so. A lot of fun, but cold!

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    I thought that it was Kwame who was mayor during that whole debacle. I remember the owner Dominick baracaded himself inside his office for days or weeks to try to stop the evictions.

Sludgedaddy Guest

To Quote an old radio ad for the site when it was somewhat in use: "If you haven't been to Arlen's on the Boulevard lately, you're in for a big surprise!"

I remember when the TVs were being dumped there. A lot of Sears Roebuck stickers and literature was left with them. I believe the Sears outlet store may have paid someone to take the old stuff out of their store to the dump, rather than pay the dump fee the Packard became the spot to leave them. There were hundreds, I remember a few older sets but most were newer. Many looked as if they could have been repaired. There is still a few in there rotting just south of the newly collapsed sky walk on the East side.

Vintage, did you check out those shoes? I couldn't figure out what they were used for. They seemed to be made of extremely stiff leather, almost like a blade was going to be put on the bottom of them to make a pair of ice skates. I kept a couple of dozen pairs for a few years but eventually tossed them.

Has anyone checked out the motor home on the second floor along with the couple of boats? I found a defunct grow operation on the second floor also.

I love the Packard, I would hate to see it go just because I have so many fond memories of spelunking it, just as I do the MCD.

Just to cover my ass, I dont reccommend anyone explore the upper floors of the West side structure thats falling down. Nick has plenty of pics of that area.

What were we talking about? TVs???

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    In this case, absolutely. There is no way the Packard will ever be anything. It's been abandoned for nearly half a CENTURY. Not a decade. Century. There are a lot of naysayers who say the Lafayette Building or the Book Tower or whatever don't have a future. I disagree with them. But on the Packard? C'mon. Tear that schitt down.
    Wrong-O BofD--the Packard plant ceased to be the production plant for the Packard Motor Car Company in the summer of 1954. After the collapse of Studebaker-Packard in June of 1956 the building was sold and became a multi-use facility much like the Russel Industrial center [[formerly Murray body co.) and the Ford Highland Park plant. Sewveral businesses operated out of ther between 1957 and 1999. In 1999 the city of Detroit [[Dennis Archer, Mayor) worked in conjunction with a speculator who dealt in commercial real estate to sieze the Packard plant from its owner, who was in arrears for back taxes. The normal procedures giving due process to property owners was ignored, there was implicit help form the state of Michigan, who took the title to the property under the EPA brownfield reclamation act and after the owners satified the back tax minmum payment turned the title over to the City of Detroit. There were 117 tenents in the Packard plant prior to the city's eviction of same, they effectively removed the owner's abilty to pay the back taxes by removing their income. There were some very big tennants in the Packard plant, Essex wire being one. Until the late 90s the plant was clean, safe and orderly, and a bargan for storage or light manufacturing.
    So don't spout off about the plant having been "abandoned" when you don't know what you are talking about.
    So don't spout off about the

I miss the old main doorways on the North side of E. Grand Blvd. As a child going past there each weekend I always enjoyed them and the rest of the complex. I am surprised there has not been any effort to board/brick up the entry ways since the removal of originals. If there was, you sure cannot tell.

4real Guest

I like the cass tech old school video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SkHd...eature=related
    I can't believe how much schitt is still in this building,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast