Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Anybody go to Scotty's 60th Anniversary?

Big party was yesterday, Wednesday April 28. To celebrate 60 years in business they had a great party with prices at 1950 levels. 85 cents for a fish and chips dinner! It was tons of fun. We got there about 5:30 and got in about 6:30 to eat. The line was down the sidewalk on Dolphin to the alley. By the time we got in, it looked like the host and waitstaff were running on pure adrenaline. Our table of four got billed $6.00 and that was with everybody having 60 cent birthday cake, and the kids getting a second full price pop. The waitresses wore poodle skirts, and there were vintage cars in back of the building, a bucket T and some late 60s muscle cars.

Last edited by gazhekwe; April-29-10 at 09:15 PM.

Scotty's is my favorite place for fish. Sorry I missed the big party, I'm sure it was great fun. Maybe I'll catch the next 60th.

I hope the wait staff got more than 15% tips.

Wanted to but didn't make it. Went to highschool with Harry [[ Harold )......had something of a crush on him actually. Just think....I could've been the Fish and Chip queen! Kidding aside he is a very nice, very hardworking guy.

Well, Judy did, we left her $7. at our table. There was a sign posted out front to please tip fairly.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; April-30-10 at 07:27 AM.

My friend and his Redford High class of 1968 buds went, the line was out the door and down the street. He lived on Dacosta, just four blocks north of Scotty's. He drove past his old house, saw that it was vacant and vandalized, his words: "I'm glad my father isn't around to see this".
    We grew up in similar neighborhoods, same housing stock and what we often discuss is how humble our parent's lives were when we were growing up and how despite the lower bracket of their incomes the pride in upkeep of those modest homes and yards.

Kind of ironic how Scotty's became a 'landmark'
    It was always kept up well.
    By the 80's most of the businesses on 'the avenue' relocated or closed. Scotty's was not real busy, but since it was probably long 'paid for', didn't take much to stay in business.
    Locals joked that Sean 'wasn't gonna put a penny into remodeling', since someday Scotty's would probably also move to the suburbs.
    The 50's look stayed, maybe by accident.
    And Scotty's business picked up more and more by the 90's.

I went by on my luch break around 12:30. Dont know why I thought I would have time to stop, after seeing the line down the street with the place full inside I decided I wouldnt make it in.

Speaking of renovating the place, about a month or two ago they replaced the carpet after 30 years!!

I do have to say it is some of the best fish and chips I have ever had. I bet there business picks up after they probably had a bunch of people in who have never been there. They say the fish has crack in it...

I was in line behind a bunch of Redford '68 guys. They kept talking about football games and they even discussed who played and who they played against and even plays they made.

I kept trying to find someone who remembered it in the 50s. I asked all the older people and most had not been there before or started coming in the last few years.

Sorry I missed this. Scotty's is the place to go for a fish-and-chips craving.

Great place and food. Too bad I'm not in that area more often. Scotty's is the kind of place that should be getting continual awards from the City of Detroit for perseverence. Any business that has survived in Detroit for all of those years and has maintained a high level of quality, service and product, deserves to be rewarded by the city. That'll be a cold day in hell. Thanks for the post reminding me they're still open and alive. I'll go out of my way to have lunch there.