Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. Anyone ever been?

Here is the link to the video I shot for the Detroit Free Press from interviews with workers and the President of the hotel, Dan Musser, to works painting, cleaning and getting things ready for the 1,000's that will come over the next several months.

http://tinyurl.com/TheGrandHotel

I grew up in Detroit but never set foot on Mackinac Island or The Grand Hotel until last week. What was I thinking to never have gone?? Really missed out on some other kinds of fun experiences when I was a kid. Now that I have two of my own, planning a trip back up soon.

I spent the day at The Grand Hotel shooting a video feature of employees getting the hotel ready from gardening to last minute decorating and adding 225 gallons of paint to the outside of the building and on "world's longest porch."

It's expensive but I have to treat myself and the family at least once, plus Mother's Day is coming up :-)

http://tinyurl.com/TheGrandHotel

Went with my mom and niece Carrie. Great splurge weekend! Fun activities for kids...time off for guardians...good food...wonderful pool!

Stayed on Mackinac Island many times but never stated at the Grand. Two years ago I took my family to the Grand on a spur of the moment trip. While not cheap, I think I got a last minute deal for $385 for two nights. Your stay there includes a full breakfast bar [[anything you can imagine) and a five course dinner for everyone in your party. They do require everyone dress up for dinner, sport jacket and slacks for men, and a dress/skirt/top for women. The room was very nice and included AC and cable TV.

There is an outdoor pool as well as croquet and many other activities for the family. Go ahead and go, you won't regret it.

$385 for two nights caspermi? great deal.

I saw many rooms when I got the grand tour when I was there for a day shooting this video for the Free Press. http://tinyurl.com/TheGrandHotel

I learned so much from the President Dan Musser when I was interviewing him in the famous Parlor room and he did talk about the dinner dress code. Amazed they use 225 gallons of paint to give the outside of the hotel a new coat. I was there shooting for about 6 hours and they had about 20 workers inside and out painting.

Can't wait to go back [[and not on assignment) to enjoy it with my wife and kids.

By the way, the Freep is doing a front page story on the hotel, the owners, etc that is running tomorrow for those that haven't been or want to know more.

Looks like AAA Michigan has great rates for the hotel as well.

Don't get your hopes up. It ain't all that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Don't get your hopes up. It ain't all that great.
    Have you been... or were you just looking at website images?

I spent lots of time at the Grand two years ago covering the annual Mackinac policy conference/junket/orgy. My lasting memories of it are:

1. Seeing L. Brook Patterson leap out of a carriage and bound up the front steps to greet a just-arrived Kwame Kilpatrick [[and his entourage). They gripped hands and mooned for cameras that showed up. At first, it was just Devin Scillian and I watching them.

2. The free booze and food. Nice spread.

3. The entire place still has the "Somewhere In Time" feel, which is vaguely creepy to me. Sort of an Overlook Inn vibe, too, when it's empty. Nice place, tho.

I couldn't afford to stay there. I was staying at a place down on the main waterfront street, where all the action is -- especially at night when all the politicos, lobbyists, reporters, aides and con artists/suckerfish/vampires let loose and gorge on the free liquor.

Been to the island quite a few times, it is a unique treasure. Never stayed at the Grand but would like to some day. Next time any of you go, if you haven't done it, take a carriage ride tour of the island. It takes you off the beaten path, into the interior. Lots of interesting history from the guide, especially about the very old cemetery there. The kids enjoyed it too.

I have been there on 4 occasions and stayed in various rooms. During one stay I was the guest of someone staying in the exclusive Masco Cottage, the newest addition to the hotel. It is an amazing suite on the golf course side of the hotel with a private entrance. It has 4 bedrooms, private kitchen [[chef included if you want), library, private garden and the only big screen tv in the hotel--not that you need a tv on the island anyway. The week in that cottage was one of the most awesome experiences of my life...then reality set in and I had to come home.

I'll look for the other pictures, but here is the chandelier taken from my camera phone--sorry for the bluriness. http://tinypic.com/r/30cr37t/5

I am a terrible golfer, but my greatest achievement was a hole in one on the 6th hole of The Jewel. It is a good golf course with the best views on the entire island...especially the Woods portion [[back nine) which is secluded, with great views of the bridge and UP from the highest point on the island.
    Last edited by DetroitSTAR; April-30-10 at 12:26 PM.

50 years I was Bell Captain of Grand Hotel and worked there three years prior as a bellman on its staff. Wonderful job each and every season. Tipping was allowed then [[ encouraged actually as my salary was $5 a month, yes I said 5 bucks a month, and although I got my meals I still had to pay for my room. I met my wife there who worked in a downtown restaurant, and we have many pleasant memories of the Hotel and the Island. I still refer to my employment on the bell staff as the best job I ever had. and I tell folks I took a pay cut to become a lawyer! The Musser family who own the hotel are a class act.

I worked at the Grand Hotel ~20 years ago for two summers while in college. RD Musser III [[from the video) had just taken over managing the hotel. The hotel was just starting the east wing expansion. Both years, I worked for the beverage department. The first year, I was a porter--so my days were spent setting up and breaking down cocktail parties, events on the porch and conference rooms, and supplying the various bars around the hotel.

The second year, I spent most of my time bartending at the Cupola Bar at the top of the hotel.

Both years, there was plenty of opportunity to work as a fill-in bell boy or off-site parties. I absolutely worked my tail off. Plus, there was plenty of opportunity to have fun.

One sad thing--the first year was the year of the fire that killed a couple of MSU students downtown late in the season. I didn't know them, they didn't work for the Grand. However, there was a major overhaul for housing on the island over that winter. Housing was much better the second year.

Michigan Guest

I have been with my family. Pretty, cold, and how much fudge can one person really eat? THey need to develop better ground floor retail on that island.

$385 for two nights - great deal?? Interesting......to me, not so much a "deal" as a possible once in a life time major luxury expense to enjoy this history.

Never been to the Grand Hotel, but I've heard that the claims about having the "world's largest porch" are dubious. As I've heard from the locals there, an apartment complex in Eaton Rapids west of Lansing has the Grand's porch beat by a foot or two. There's no information on the porch, but you can see for yourself here: http://www.edgewaterapartments.com/

I've seen the Eaton Rapids porch in person several times and it is impressive, but I'm sure only the folks at Guinness can solve this mystery.

I've stayed at the hotel 3 times. All of them for business. It's a beautiful place, but the rooms were just so-so. One room had no shower, and for my husband, whose 6'3", it was a real challenge washing his hair in the tub! Spent quite a bit of time in the suites facing the front of the hotel [[Presidential?) They were lovely, and the view was spectacular. We've had rooms that overlooked an inner courtyard with dumpters. I wouldn't mind going back, but my husband not so much. Food was good, but we did dress for dinner. It was one of the few times that my daughter [[who was a great toddler) threw a full scale fit, because dinner took so long to be served [[probably 45 minute wait after ordering). The kid was FULL of bread, crackers, and finally just had a melt-down. I ended up leaving without dinner and took her up to the room.

The Grand Hotel, of course, was the shooting location for the cult movie, "Somewhere in Time", which is unquestionably in my top ten. The music score makes it even more haunting. If you've never seen this flick, you've missed something.

Do they still charge $10.00 to go on the porch at the Grand?

Yes agirlintheD, they do still charge $10 for non-guest to do the porch thing and walk around the hotel. There is a sign near the entrance at the top of the long driveway that says so.

I checked out AAA rates and they have some good deals in May and early June now just have to find cash to do this trip for a few days with my family.

The sunrise at the beginning of this video http://tinyurl.com/TheGrandHotel
    was amazing and I'm told at The Grand if your room faces east or you have a balcony it is stunning!!

My colleague at the Freep Ellen Creager wrote the travel story that goes with my video and it's pretty in-depth and is also a profile of Dan Musser who is a 3rd generation owner of the hotel.
    Here is the link to the story
    http://tinyurl.com/298yb9o

Eric

I've stayed at the Grand 3-4 times, all on business. It is a beautiful and historic place, but it's a bit too formal for me. I've stayed at the Island House twice on my own dime, and liked it more than the Grand.

I had a chance to stay at The Grand Hotel once at no charge to me but when I saw the price I declined anyway. It's just not worth it to me for that kind of experience. I assume the price is fair for the demand though. If I had some real business there I wouldn't hesitate. There are other places to stay on the island of course.

I find that the lowest-rated AAA motels yield the most interesting variety. If AAA rates it at all it has to at least be clean. There was one such motel in Denver with a Nepalese dwarf as the night manager with a masters in comp sci. Man, was he frustrated working there! Another in Nebraska was a cluster of home-made cabins behind a cornfield filled with beautiful antique furniture harvested from local farmhouses.

I do get to stay at The Westin Diplomat in Florida four nights a year at about $500/night. My first night there I didn't locate the shower until five hours after arrival! I have not yet found a polite way to decline this offer.

The Mackinac horse-drawn carriage tours are great though. Lots of history. Lots of memories are formed on that island.

LodgeDodger Guest

I love Mackinac Island. betterhalf and I try to visit every couple of years. I've stayed at a couple of other places on the island. Another lovely place to stay is the Hotel Iroquois.

While I realize the Grand is pricey, it really is an experience I would recommend to anyone. The breakfast is delicious--even for a breakfast food-hater like me. [[Their oatmeal is loaded with dried Traverse City cherries and walnuts.) After spending a day exploring the island, we head back to the hotel for a nap, then get ready for dinner.

Normally, betterhalf doesn't care to put on a suit and tie, but at the Grand, he doesn't mind it a bit. Dinner is an event at the Grand. We usually have a drink before dinner. After dinner, dessert is always Grand Pecan Ball. After dinner, we walk around the hotel, sit on the porch for a while and watch the lights twinkle on the Mighty Mac. We always take a walk by the homes on the West Bluffs and dream we can afford to live in a place as beautiful. Later we have a couple of drinks at the Cupola, then head down to listen to the orchestra.

For an experience like that, the price is reasonable. The Grand brings out the romantic in anyone. Trust me.

One more thing, betterhalf proposed to me on the Grand Hotel porch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The Grand Hotel, of course, was the shooting location for the cult movie, "Somewhere in Time", which is unquestionably in my top ten. The music score makes it even more haunting. If you've never seen this flick, you've missed something.
    I was staying there [[Michigan Hospital Association convention) during the filming. Pretty neat watching them shoot scenes in the lobby in the midst of the convention.

Quote Originally Posted by torbusto View Post
    I checked out AAA rates and they have some good deals in May and early June now just have to find cash to do this trip for a few days with my family.
    Be careful with those. They tend to give you the least desireable rooms available.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Be careful with those. They tend to give you the least desireable rooms available.
    Ah, thank for the heads up on that with the AAA rates and not the best rooms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ray1936

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    I was staying there [[Michigan Hospital Association convention) during the filming. Pretty neat watching them shoot scenes in the lobby in the midst of the convention.
    This marker on a rock on the island commemorates the film.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast