Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Canada offers $550 million for new U.S.-Canada span

Last edited by leland_palmer; April-29-10 at 10:09 AM.

I love the part where he says it will only create Canadian jobs................what a tool!

"This is a bribe -- that's what you see here," Stamper said following Granholm's announcement. "Our legislators ought to be very careful."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100429/...#ixzz0mVCkOkcE

I'm hoping "Dan the Man" ends up being found in contempt of court next month.

Are the details of the offer online anywhere? I wonder how the Canadian residents feel about this. I know how I would feel if the U.S. said it would do this for Ontario.

This show is getting better and better.

Retroit Guest

If Maroun built his bridge, wouldn't it also ultimately be funded by tolls? So what is the benefit of this offer from Canada?

As long as a private enterprise is willing to build the bridge, I think the government should stay out of it. The government should only provide what can not be provided by other means.

If Canadian taxpayers are paying to build the bridge, don't you think they are going to insist on Canadian contractors?

Oh, pity the poow wittwe biyyonaiwe.

Hilarious. Canada has to come to Michigan's rescue. Mich must really be a poverty case.

Here's the letter:

Download:
    Canadian Bridge Letter To Gov. Granholm

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    If Canadian taxpayers are paying to build the bridge, don't you think they are going to insist on Canadian contractors?
    It is not for the bridge, it is for "accessories" on the MI side. No string like the Canadian contractor that I know, each side to employ who they want.

I think this is just to get the bridge moved forward. Collaterally, there is that little spat with Maroun, too.

75% sounds high, but i'm optimistic!

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    If Maroun built his bridge, wouldn't it also ultimately be funded by tolls? So what is the benefit of this offer from Canada?

As long as a private enterprise is willing to build the bridge, I think the government should stay out of it. The government should only provide what can not be provided by other means.
    That's the funniest line I've heard on DetroitYes for a long time.

Why is that funny? You're using hundreds of millions of taxpayer money to compete with private enterprise. Seems like Maroun is getting ripped off.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 467riverfix View Post
    Seems like Maroun is getting ripped off.
    I guess it's time to get out the world's smallest violin again. Poor Matty.

Here's the Windsor Star article on the subject. You can also download the letter from John Baird to Governor Granholm from there as well.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/UPDA...640/story.html
    Last edited by kraig; April-29-10 at 02:50 PM.

Seems like Maroun is getting ripped off.
    Another knee-slapper!

Still unfair competition. No matter which way you slice it. If his biz is to be taken away then compensate him.

Bearinabox Guest

Still unfair competition. No matter which way you slice it. If his biz is to be taken away then compensate him.
    Nobody's stopping him from operating his bridge.

Whoever promised Moroun or anyone that another bridge would never be built? If iIwere him I would right away look into building sun shields over the immigration areas on both sides. So many people would choose his bridge as a crossing point if they could have their eyes and skin protected from the sun while they wait long periods to go through immigration. Moroun's bridge would beat out the competition!

This is great news. Hopefully it will come to pass and we will finally have some price competition. Two bridges will give us greater security. If the Ambassador Bridge went out, and it is totally unprotected as noted in other threads, it would be an economic disaster for Detroit and Windsor.

Say what you like about Moroun, but he must be very loyal to his underlings. How else can it be explained that Mr. Stamper keeps his job? He has created one PR nightmare after another for that company. He has managed to PO just about everybody on both sides of the border with his run-down bridge, aggressive land grabs and in-your-face statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This is great news. Hopefully it will come to pass and we will finally have some price competition.

Say what you like about Moroun, but he must be very loyal to his underlings. How else can it be explained the Mr. Stamper keeps his job? He as created one PR nightmare after another for that company. He has managed to PO just about everybody on both sides of the border with his run-down bridge, aggressive land grabs and in-your-face statements.
    Well, in Maroun's defense, until lately he pretty much did what he pleased by purchasing the right people. Having Kwame's kleptocracy implode so completely and in an unscheduled fashion was bound to have a ripple effect. The new guard and Mr. Maroun likely have just not settled on a price for their fealty yet. Give him time. He'll get it together. My prediction is that shovels will never go in the ground on this project.
    Last edited by bailey; April-29-10 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, in Maroun's defense, until lately he pretty much did what he pleased by purchasing the right people. Having Kwame's kleptocracy implode so completely and in an unscheduled fashion was bound to have a ripple effect. The new guard and Mr. Maroun likely have just not settled on a price for their fealty yet. Give him time. He'll get it together. My prediction is that shovels will never go in the ground on this project.
    I don't know this one seems to have some steam, Canada won't budge on this one they don't want a second Ambassador span and they are putting their money where their mouth is. Between DRIC and DRTP Detroit/Windsor could really position itself as an inland freight hub, and leading to a serious encomic engine not only for the cities but the entire region, there's a reason LBP is supporting this despite being a Maroun crony.
    Last edited by herbpowell; April-29-10 at 04:05 PM.

Retroit Guest

I'd like to see the reaction of some of you if the government opened up a business next to yours [[or your employer) that competed with YOU.

It amazes me in the electronic age that news sometimes seems to stop at the border...a significant benefit to the campaign of subterfuge by Maroun and company. On here there is speculation that shovels will never go in the ground, and only a couple of weeks ago Mrs Maroun was dispatched to a news conference to suggest that once the Canadian government is done "stealing" the Ambassador Bridge--they will kill DRIC. As for shovels being in the ground, site preparation, demolition and land acquisition is underway in Windsor for the extension of the 401 Freeway to the DRIC bridge--a multi-billion dollar highway project that IS underway--including construction of overpasses, noise abatement barriers and related infrastructure--this work has begun in earnest and full Freeway construction will be underway by 2011--the land transfer from the City of Windsor to the Canadian Federal Government for the Canadian Plaza has also happened--so this is very much a live and ongoing initiative on the Canadian side of the equation--despite whatever fog Maroun and his supporters attempt to unleash in the media in SE Michigan.

What amazes me is that in this era of increased security vigilance--this hasnt been sold as an important security and prosperity initiative from the start. With a single venue hosting such a large portion of the trade between Canada and the U.S. [[more trade flows between the U.S. and Canada over the Ambassador Bridge than the entire annual trade between the U.S. and Japan) we are very much a juicy target for terrorists--if nothing else, DRIC means greater security...moreover, it's about building for the future--there's a novel idea.

I am conservative ideologically--and am not someone who is apt to spit in the eye of private enterprise--but Maroun has made his bed--after running afoul of the various levels of government in Canada he chose to spit in the eye of taxpayers in Michigan with his blatant disregard for the terms of the Gateway project [[a project designed to enhance the viability of his private business)--while an argument may be made that a publically funded bridge may ultimately harm his enterprise--an argument may also be made the Maroun is attempting to maintain a monopoly on the most important trade corridor in the Americas. If someone is willing and able to demonstrate how the Ambassador Bridge provides greater value and operational excellence versus the closest competing public venue [[the Blue Water Bridge), please go ahead and make your argument.

While not a fan of Maroun, I do think that he may have one final trump up his sleeve in the event all else fails....

A new public downstream bridge would have to sell bonds in order to pay for the bridge. Well that would involve bankers on Wall Street. All Maroun would have to do is make it clear that his old [[fully paid for) bridge would undercut the tolls of the new public bridge to the point where the new bridge would have trouble meeting the debt obligations on its' bonds.

Sounds pretty simple... and legal....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast