Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Your EMAIL System Been Hacked Into??

OK... the signs are rather easy to spot....

1) someone who you send/receive EMAILs from sends you [[and a bunch of other folks) a rather strange EMAIL that has nothing at all to do with either of you... and usually points to some weird website.... or gives a Spam-like message.

2) if the names of the recipients on your EMAIL are shown... and they are all in close ascending alphabetic order [[for example 8 folks with last names starting with H, I and J).

If you get an EMAIL from someone that has these characteristics, likely the senders EMAIL system has been compromised/hacked into in some way.

I've gotten EMAIL from 2 folks in the last 2 weeks who said their computers were hacked into and compromised in this way.

You may have gotten EMAILs like this in the past, and just thought it was rather strange... but then went on with your life....

But if you do get this type of strange EMAIL message from a friend... let them know!!

They may need to have a computer Geek fix the problem.....

In thinking back... I know I've received other strange EMAILs [[that I've just ignored) in the past, that may have been this type of problem....
    Last edited by Gistok; April-29-10 at 01:42 AM.

A few times I've opened my email to find returned email "mailer-deamon" [[or whatever that line is) that my email did not go through to someone I never sent email to. Curious. I have 3 email addys; it only happens on the aol.com addy.

Retroit Guest

Thanks for the heads up!

That's got to be pretty embarrassing to have a bunch of friends, family, co-workers, etc. receive a harmful e-mail from "you".

Just happened to my Gmail account two days ago. Sent about 27 people odd spam messages so i changed the password

Same here on Yahoo 4 days. First time ever. It sent to everyone in my Contacts. When you get the mailer daemon messages, that means someone spoofed your address.

Someone on DetroitGasPrices.com has reported a similar problem.

It may be related to the problem discussed in this recent article on SearchSecurity.com.

Stosh Guest

There are many ways to spoof addresses that dioesn't require a compromised PW or viruses to accomplish. The messages that are mailer-daemon may just be fishing for a reply.