Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DC48080 Guest

Default The "Star" of the Dateline Detroit Episode

Check out this story:

http://freep.com/article/20100428/BL...-recant-nothin-

I admired this woman after seeing her on Dateline. After reading the above interview my respect for her has grown tenfold.

She tells it like it really is.

Retroit Guest

This is good to hear, but I'm not surprised. Most of the people in Detroit are pretty honest about how bad it is. I find the biggest deniers are outsiders who move into Midtown or downtown and want everyone to believe that the whole city is being revitalized.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    This is good to hear, but I'm not surprised. Most of the people in Detroit are pretty honest about how bad it is. I find the biggest deniers are outsiders who move into Midtown or downtown and want everyone to believe that the whole city is being revitalized.
    Exactly! The pie in the sky Pollyanna types sipping their lattes in Campus Martius with their smug "I'm living in Detroit so I'm smarter and trendier than everyone else" attitudes. Meanwhile, when they hear a few gunshots at night they run and hide in the basement while frantically calling 911 over and over.

Cordette Grantling is to be commended for telling it like it really is.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dc48080 View Post
    check out this story:

http://freep.com/article/20100428/bl...-recant-nothin-

i admired this woman after seeing her on dateline. After reading the above interview my respect for her has grown tenfold.

She tells it like it really is.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Exactly! The pie in the sky Pollyanna types sipping their lattes in Campus Martius with their smug "I'm living in Detroit so I'm smarter and trendier than everyone else" attitudes. Meanwhile, when they hear a few gunshots at night they run and hide in the basement while frantically calling 911 over and over.
    There are still a LOT of poor people in Midtown or Downtown. There are NO completely gentrified neighborhoods in the CBD... perhaps individual buildings, but that's about it. No one is sipping a latte in Campus Martius and looking down their turned-up noses at the great, unwashed hoi polloi.

I will agree with this statement: Cordette is a wonderful woman who has been through much. I am glad that she's having such a life changing experience, and pray that her children benefit and live a better life as a result.

So if you're a successful professional, you either a) live in the suburbs, but you're criticized for being an outsider - and part of the problem, or b) you live midtown/downtown, but in a sanitized, "fake" part of the city. Drinking a latte in the park just isn't keepin' it real - and who's to say you're not smug because you think you are? Your comment really pisses me off.

If I understand correctly, one loses with either choice, unless they take the third option and move into one of your pre-approved parts of the city and accept gunfire as part of daily life. The "right" type of city resident falls within a pretty narrow scope, eh?

Ms. Grantling is to be commended, but don't fault others because they live under a different set of circumstances.

I think the lady is right to scorn grand standers who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

I suppose you think that we are all conniving trolls like yourself and are incapable of expressing our sincere opinions?
    Who you calling a conniving troll? I just have to call out poor debating tactics when I see them. As for poor debating tactics [[such as calling people conniving trolls ...)

Damn, I'm not a downtown living mocha sipping, scared shitless hipster nor do I live in a community that is a complete hopeless ghetto that is ravaged by non-stop gun shots .

I have no idea who I am since it appears that I can only be one or the other. My identity is ruined.

No. More like: either you have lived here a long time and truly know how shitty is the city, or you're from Birmingham and you've just enrolled at WSU as a Civic Planning major and think that Detroit is on the verge of greatness because they are going to start building a Light Rail line "soon" and YOU are going to be a part of it...rah, rah, rah!
    So nobody that has lived here for a long time has anything positive or has any positive view of the city. Thanks, I needed that clarification.

I guess this falls perfectly in line with the belief that the only people left in the city are those that can't afford to move.

Retroit Guest

jt1, do you agree or disagree with Cordette?

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I have no idea who I am since it appears that I can only be one or the other. My identity is ruined.

Funny thing is I never said you had to be one or the other. It is amazing how some folks on here like to put words in other's mouths.

Also, this is not a debate, it is people posting their individual opinions about topics. You don't have to agree with what other people say and you don't have to all bunged up about it when your opinion differs.

I am the Great Gentrifier of Corktown, tirelessly battling hordes of maurading crab grass and deficating homeless men. All hail the GCC! Bah-bah-boo-Eeee!

Funny thing is I never said you had to be one or the other. It is amazing how some folks on here like to put words in other's mouths.

Also, this is not a debate, it is people posting their individual opinions about topics. You don't have to agree with what other people say and you don't have to all bunged up about it when your opinion differs.
    Re-read your post. It certainly implied an either/or scenario.
    My issue with your opinion is that you seem to only believe the people that speak strictly about how messed up Detroit is while you dismiss anyone that has anything positive to say.

Miss Grantling is speaking from her experience and her situation so it is 'telling it like it is' as she sees it and lives it. Until you understand that then there is no point in discussing your opinion.

Now a question for you: If you ask someone that lives in the city that is middle class will their version of 'telling it like it is' be different. If you think so then you may finally understand that my point.

A little balance will make your opinion more reasonable.

Here are a few things to consider:
    1. Detroit has some severe issues - I think we can all agree on that
    2. In spite of that there are many people that enjoy living in the city and see a lot of positive about their communities
    3. The people in number two are not just downtown, mocha sipping hipsters. polyanna types.
    4. Many of the people that fit into [[2.) are the people that do things to improve their community and improve the city.
    5. The issue that many of us have is not that [[1.) is discussed as it should be. It is that when number [[1) is discussed the people that fit [[2) are never discussed..

A little balance goes a long way.

jt1, do you agree or disagree with Cordette?
    I agree with some of her points and disagree with others. Again, her comments are from her point of view and based upon her experience. Should I assume that the experiences of people that live next to a crack house are the same as those that have a well maintained block? Should I assume that parents with kids that go to Denby have the same view as parents with kids that go to Ren?

The issue is that people tend to believe the experience of one speaks for all. The problem is that they only believe the one that fits their viewpoint of Detroiters.

But if you want to make her the face of Detroit feel free to do so. I think the face of Detroit is part Ms. Grantling and part thousands of others with different experiences and perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by JStone View Post
    I am the Great Gentrifier of Corktown, tirelessly battling hordes of maurading crab grass and deficating homeless men. All hail the GCC! Bah-bah-boo-Eeee!
    Your experiences and viewpoints do not count since you do not live next to a crackhouse and struggle day to day.

Sorry, but you can't represent Detroit today.

Retroit Guest

Here are a few things to consider:
    1. Detroit has some severe issues - I think we can all agree on that
    2. In spite of that there are many people that enjoy living in the city and see a lot of positive about their communities
    3. The people in number two are not just downtown, mocha sipping hipsters. polyanna types.
    4. Many of the people that fit into [[2.) are the people that do things to improve their community and improve the city.
    5. The issue that many of us have is not that [[1.) is discussed as it should be. It is that when number [[1) is discussed the people that fit [[2) are never discussed..

A little balance goes a long way.
    How many people would you estimate fit in category [[1) and how many fit in [[2)? Or more specifically, how many people are fed up with living in Detroit and how many are comfortable in their own immediate surroundings and don't think the attention is better focused on those who have to bear the most suffering?

If I walked up to every Detroiter and offered them a home in the suburbs free of charge, what percentage would accept?

DC48080 Guest

Re-read your post. It certainly implied an either/or scenario.
    My issue with your opinion is that you seem to only believe the people that speak strictly about how messed up Detroit is while you dismiss anyone that has anything positive to say.
    Perhaps you should re-read my post and stop putting words in my mouth. What you feel that someone implies is subject to your emotions. Quit being so sensitive.

And I have not dismissed anyone who said anything positive about Detroit. Again, quit being so sensitive.

Detroit could use about 100,000 or so "Pollyanna types sipping their lattes in Campus Martius", who vote, hold their local government accountable, relatively obey the law, and attack crab grass with fervor and tenacity!

"Improving Detroit, one blade of grass at a time" - The Sod Father