Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Brown Brothers Service on Parker & Vernor

I recall there was a thread about Brown Brothers a year or two ago.
    For those that might be interested, here are some photos I acquired taken on September 30, 1945.
    Interesting that Vernor ran both ways then.

Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing. Very nostalgiac. I never knew that "service stations" sold Naptha, which I know as a useful solvent for cleaning and finishing, as in wood finishing. Why would the general public buy Naptha in 1945?

Thanks Krawlspace. Looking at BigTreble's Google street view link, it brings to my mind my notion that Detroit was the city bombed during the cold war. If someone said, 'Oh yeah, that was blown away in the war', it would be semi-believable, like some of the areas I saw in East Germany that still bore the damage and bullet wounds of WWII.

Wow. Thank you so much. I grew up a couple of blocks away from there, and my parents were customers there for years. Of course, I don't remember it looking like that, but I'm certain my father went by it all the time on his way to and from Wayne in 1945.

Some good friends of mine when I was a kid in the '60s lived in that house to the side of the station, and the row houses across Vernor. Incidentally, the house at the corner 2 houses back behind the station, shown in the bottom 2 pictures, was one of the childhood homes of future ABA & NBA star George Gervin.

My father still has his Jimmie Allen Flying Club membership certificate from Hi-Speed Gas in a frame on his wall.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-28-10 at 10:27 PM.