Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bridge or Tunnel Friday at around 3:30p-4p?

I am planning to cross from Windsor into Detroit this Friday around 3:30p-4p. I want to drop off my luggage in Troy and then head back down to the Tigers game for a 7p start.

What will be a faster crossing, the tunnel or bridge? Or should I just stay downtown? If so, what the is the most secure lot to park at if I have my luggage and laptop?

Also, I will be coming back Sunday early evening. Where do you recommend I cross?

I would stay downtown, at least for Friday night. The drive to/from Troy can be messy in rush hour. And I'd take the bridge.

Thanks Sarah, what if I cross at Port Huron and head straight to Troy? I would avoid Detroit to Troy 3:30p traffic.

I dunno, if you're ending up downtown, take the tunnel.

The crossing money goes to the city instead of a maniacal mogul.

My cousin works at that Hilton Garden Inn, which is blocks from the stadium.

Just across the street, you can fill up on Harbor House goodness before heading to the game!

Gannon, Interesting comment. I cross frequently and never really thought about where the money goes. The bridge is more convenient for where I am coming/going to and I find the wait a tunnel more bothersome, but you've given me something to think about.

Toronto, If you are set on going to Troy, then I suppose crossing in Port Huron makes sense. I would personally not stay in Troy, especially after a ball game. If it were me, I'd cross in Detroit, stay in the city at least Friday night then maybe move to Troy Saturday and go back through Port Huron/Sarnia. I agree with Gannon that the Hilton Garden Inn is ideally located.

If I stay at the Hilton Garden, what are the best bars to go to after the game that I can walk to?

Cheli's Chili, Coaches Corner, Detroiter, Old Shillelaugh, State Bar, the Well, Town Pump, the Park... I know I'm missing a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto99 View Post
    I am planning to cross from Windsor into Detroit this Friday around 3:30p-4p. I want to drop off my luggage in Troy and then head back down to the Tigers game for a 7p start.

What will be a faster crossing, the tunnel or bridge? Or should I just stay downtown? If so, what the is the most secure lot to park at if I have my luggage and laptop?

Also, I will be coming back Sunday early evening. Where do you recommend I cross?
    I went through the tunnel yesterday and traffic to Detroit was all the way up to the Canadian toll booths. Took me 40 minutes to get across in the morning. Came back around 3 and noticed the tunnel was still all the way back to the Canadian tolls. Coming to the Canadian side took me a few minutes though.

I crossed on the bridge a few weeks ago on a Friday about 4pm, took 1hr 20 mins. Not sure if this is the norm or if it varies.