ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Police cop sleeping on the Job

Here's the source:

Posted: 2:17 p.m. April 27, 2010

Snapshot of Detroit cop apparently sleeping in squad car posted to Web

By AMBER HUNT
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

By anyone’s account, it isn’t a pretty picture: a uniformed Detroit police officer appears to be asleep, his mouth agape, sitting in what is apparently the driver’s seat of a squad car.

The image was posted over the weekend on www.mediatakeout.com, and, according to the site’s traffic counter, it’s been viewed more than 400,000 times.

Among the viewers? The officer’s bosses.
    “We were made aware of the photo over the weekend and began investigating immediately,” Detroit Police Spokesman John Roach said today. “As of this morning, we’ve identified the officer, we know who he is. We have not yet had an opportunity to interview him directly, but we will as soon as possible.”
    Roach declined to release the officer’s name but said he works as a patrolman in the city’s 8th Precinct. Roach said police are investigating whether the officer was on duty and not on a break when the photo was shot.
    Information about the photo’s origins — including where it was shot, by whom and when — isn’t included in the posting. An e-mail sent Monday to the blogging site where it is posted, Media Take Out, seeking information about the photo’s origins has not yet been answered.
    Danyelle Coleman, 27, of Detroit told the Free Press she saw the picture over the weekend and posted it to her personal Facebook page. It has sparked heated debate among both friends and strangers, she said.
    Some people have said they know the officer and that he’s a good cop, she said.
    Coleman said that even if the picture was shot while the officer was off duty or on a break, the image is a negative for the city.
    “This is nothing to laugh about,” she said. “We can’t get police to come on time when we call. Is it because they’re taking a nap?”

Now the whole world sees how negative Detroit is.

WORD FROM STREET PROPHET

The law may sleeps, but it never dies.

In Memoriam: Neda Soltani

This isn't the first cop to doze off behind the wheel of a parked cruiser and he won't be the last. It may not look good, but who can say that sitting in a parked car for a long time on a warm, sunny day wouldn't cause them to doze off too?

One of our union maintenance employees was asleep on a vinyl sofa in a hallway here when I arrived at 6:45 am, at 8:00 I walked down that hallway again and the same guy was still sleeping. It's not the first time I have seen the same man asleep in the same hallway. I see notyhing wrong with disciplinary action for sleeping on the job.

There is no sleep as good as the sleep you get while you're on the clock. Everybody knows that.

Doesn't DPD patrol with 2 officers in each car? Where's his partner?

Perhaps THEY'RE the one clicking the camera!

Danny, please at least get her name correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Neda_Agha-Soltan

Poor Neda Soltani had to flee to Germany because people like you kept getting her damn name wrong!
    Last edited by Gannon; April-28-10 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Doesn't DPD patrol with 2 officers in each car? Where's his partner?
    Sleeping inside the Dunkin Donuts??

Probably getting donuts and some coffee to wake him up.
    Check for white powder on their uniforms when they finally get to your
    emergency.

He was not asleep. It appears that he was either yawning or blinked when the photo was taken.

[quote=Danny;141217]Here's the source:

Now the whole world sees how negative Detroit is.

I don't think the whole world is going to think any more negatively about Detroit because of this story and photo. A few years back it was posted on the internet that a FHP officer found a Florida DCF employee asleep in her car in the center turn lane of a busy highway. Actually she had passed out from drinking. She was returning from a supervised visit and had an enfant in the back seat in a baby carrier. This incident is far worse in the public's eye than a police officer sleeping in his patrol car especially when he may have been on break.

jbd441,

When people see people do crazy things either in cyberspace or real space, they would critical, talk critical and mediated. It's all part of being a individual human.

WORD FROM THE STREET

Neda Soltani is Neda Agha-Soltan: You will be remembered.

If I had a $1 for every time someone in my office fell asleep on the job, I wouldn't even have to publish a newspaper. I'd be rich. Now, if this was the Police Helicopter thread, I'd be a little nervous.

Retroit Guest

Hey, he's so busy fighting crime he figured he'll take a quick power nap between calls. At least that would be my story.

lilpup Guest

Saw a Washtenaw County sheriff's deputy snoozing in his car on the night shift just a few weeks ago - parked outside the learning center and jail area in the sheriff's department parking lot!

I don't think the photo is proof that he is asleep, and I'll bet his union rep or PBA attorney says the same. I can't tell you how many bad photos have been taken of me just as I blinked. Gotta love the interwebs!

I am waiting for RAY 36 to give his input.

There are many stories of officers "Hitting the hole",
    sleeping on the job, especially midnight shift.

and then they over sleep and the shift is going crazy trying to figure out
    where the crew is!!!

not the first, not the last, and not the only persons asleep on the job.
    I got asked to leave a job once for sleeping.

A guy at work was caught sleeping in a stall in the restroom. Poor guy wouldn't have been caught if he didn't snore.

Yes, he was "canned."

Sorry, but this isn't news.

News is something out of the norm; something rare and unusual.

There's also the possibility the guy was on lunch. Maybe his partner was eating somewhere and this guy decided to take a short nap instead of eating.
    Last edited by Meddle; April-28-10 at 02:31 PM.

Most cops, most of the time, are good and hard working. This incident is nothing new. When I was in New York City [[many decades ago!), I once approached a patrol car, in order to ask directions. Inside were four cops, two with beers in hand, who laughed and told me to go find a tour guide.
    Police officers are human!

He sure looks beat. Also looks a little like ex-mayor kwame k.

Detroit - where the laughter never seems to cease. If nothing else it must be the most comical place in america. If ya think about it.
    Last edited by ggores; April-28-10 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    I am waiting for RAY 36 to give his input.

There are many stories of officers "Hitting the hole".
    Hey, I won't deny it. Midnight shift around 5 a.m. [[Back in the days when you didn't have runs backed up all night). Working Scout 2-1, down around Trumbull and Fort. Slip over to 12th street and head south, park on the railroad property. Summertime, and a handful of fishermen line the rail. Walk over and bullshit with some of them for a while, ooh and aah over their catches. Back in the car and close the eyes for about an hour. Back on the road at 6 to catch a rush hour traffic violation to make the bosses happy, and off duty at 8 am.

On occasion, you and your partner might be completely wiped out, and you hit the hole at 4. Beats the hell out of falling asleep at the wheel and wrecking the car. Midnights can be a bitch when you have a hard time sleeping during the day.

It's funny, too....you could be sawing zzz's pretty good, but above the chatter of the police radio when dispatch said "2-1", you jumped right up.

Days and afternoons....no problem keeping the eyes open. Just in the wee hours of the graveyard shift.

I miss those guys fishing off the foot of 12th street. They were lots of fun to chat with. Hope they all got their limit.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    He was not asleep. It appears that he was either yawning or blinked when the photo was taken.
    OMG he totally was sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Sorry, but this isn't news.

News is something out of the norm; something rare and unusual.

There's also the possibility the guy was on lunch. Maybe his partner was eating somewhere and this guy decided to take a short nap instead of eating.
    Sorry, This is huge news. First off if he was supposed to be working than I would guess that wasn't happening. Second, he is exposing himself and the entire community that he is supposed to be protecting.

And for all you other people that have slept on the job or know someone that has, what a disgrace. I have never fallen asleep at work and do not intend to, there have been some day I MAY have been slacking but still did my job.

What kind of morals do people have now-a-days????????????????????????

WERE YOU THERE???? WHO TOLD YOU HE WAS SLEEPING??????

Quote Originally Posted by Just Amazed View Post
    OMG he totally was sleeping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast