Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking For Advice [[Midtown Living)

Hi all,

Long time lurker here.

I'm in my 20s, living in the 'burbs, and looking to move into the city. I work downtown and have explored some apartment possibilities downtown, but am increasingly more and more interested in Midtown.

I have a friend that has some interest to move as well, but I want to look into a studio apartment for just me at the moment. I'm thinking west of Woodward near the Bronx Bar seems to have a lot of action going on. I do not want to live in an apartment building with a bunch of undergrads that are constantly partying [[since I'm a young professional now).

Budget wise I'm hoping to find a place under $500 [[w/o utilities). I'm also hoping to have "relatively" secure parking [[I've had a few friends have their cars broken into recently in that general area). I'd like to be as close to the action/near Wayne State as possible - for both the amenities nearby and the security. I'd like to be in a very walkable area.

Additionally, for anyone living in Midtown, what is the best place gym to get a membership to? Is it reasonably priced?

Sorry if this rambled too long - just looking for some input. Thanks!

One more thing - I'm open to any length of lease, but for obvious reasons would be very interested in month-to-month [[unless I get a great deal for a six month or year lease).

Woodbridge... look into it. Start talking to some of the landlords & residents there.

If you are a Wayne State Alumni, you can use the gym there. It looks like you might be able to get in if you work for an affiliate as well.

http://rfc.wayne.edu/membership.php

I would also recommend the WSU gym if you can sign up for it. Also there are a few apt. buildings on Ferry and Palmer west of woodward that always looked well kept and you are practically on WSU campus for safety sake. Seemed to be a mix of students and professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I'm thinking west of Woodward near the Bronx Bar seems to have a lot of action going on. I do not want to live in an apartment building with a bunch of undergrads that are constantly partying [[since I'm a young professional now).

Budget wise I'm hoping to find a place under $500 [[w/o utilities). I'm also hoping to have "relatively" secure parking [[I've had a few friends have their cars broken into recently in that general area). I'd like to be as close to the action/near Wayne State as possible - for both the amenities nearby and the security. I'd like to be in a very walkable area.
    Give Carol a call, she has place for rent next to the Bronx. It's in pretty good shape, the bathroom could use some work if your handy. Parking is pretty safe, but if you tend to leave lots of valuables in your car or don't secure it properly, don't be surprised if it’s broken into or stolen. The building is small and most of the tenants are over 40.
    313-897-6415

PS. You will get evicted for having a party here. So beware!

I live at John R and Ferry near the DIA and CCS in a 121 year old building right next to an open parking lot its a great place. The rent is really cheap and the building is awesome. The rent includes all utilites It's around $425.00 a month for rent. Behind our building they are also building an urban garden. If your interested let me know and I can get you in touch with the landlord.

Phillips Manor on East Willis at Woodward is having a special deal, 550 for a two bedroom with heat and water included. Very good deal, I must say. Right around the corner you have Passport Pizza, Kim's Produce, Bancock Express, Majestic Cafe, Sgt. Pepperonis, Majestic Theatre, Magic Stick, Garden Bowl, a Liqour Store, a Flower shop, McDonalds, Union Street restaurant and within two blocks you have Avalon Bakery, Goodwell's Health Foods, Curl Up & Dye salon, Spiral Collective, The Whitney, Bigbee Coffee, Rite Aid, Utrech art store, Radio Shack, Starters Bar & Grill, Midtown Corner Cafe, Sole Sisters + new retail/restaurant/theatre developent a block south [[Garden Block), and new retail botiques to open soon at Willis and Cass. You also would have the 53 Woodward bus almost right outside your door which runs 24/7 pretty frequently, usually within 10 minutes of waiting. I don't think you can beat this in terms of location. The one problem I know of with that block is a CHRONIC problem with cars getting broken into and windows smashed. The police seem to not care. The problem is likely related to the fact that the majestic theatre complex is next door and draws "tourists" that are easy targets. It sucks when you want to have friends over and their car windows get smashed. But you really can't beat the price and the location.

There are always those darn strings attached.
    Things are cheap down by Zug Island too.

Thanks for all the insight everyone. I will certainly take note on some of these ideas and may get in touch with some of you. Much appreciated.

Cass and Ferry and the lofts above Rite aid on Woodward, both have gated parking.