Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Help with a date

Working on a research project....

Trying to find the exact date in 1980 that Detroit General Hospital on St. Antoine closed. I believe that it was sometime in the late Spring or early Summer that year but am trying to pinpoint the date.

Thank you.

Do you mean Detroit Memorial? I thought Detroit General was on Jefferson.

If that was the hospital that closed when Detroit Receiving opened, it was shortly before 7/25/80. I was clipped by a SEMTA bus at the corner of Jefferson & Randolph [[a story best left for another thread) and wound up in Receiving's ER and was later admitted. The place was so new that many of the transplanted staff didn't know which department was where, lots of signs not up yet, new paint smell everywhere, etc. I was having x-rays every hour for the first couple of days, and on one occasion I had to navigate for the orderly pushing my wheelchair since he hadn't yet learned where radiology was in the new building. Fun times.

The Dude Guest

Memorial and Old Receiving Hospitals were across the street [[Macomb) from each other.

Oh, I thought this was a thread to give advice on where to take your ladyfriend for dinner

Greektown always worked for me.

Their was at one time a Detroit General hospital on Grand River near 6 mile. I'm not sure as to when it closed. I believe it was some time in the early 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Greektown always worked for me.
    I agree, don't recommend a hospital.