Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Repairs to Michigan Ave

Just a heads up to anyone that makes a commute down Michigan Ave. This work is expected to begin Monday.

Construction that will reduce a 2.5-mile stretch of Michigan Avenue to one lane each way is expected to start Monday.
    The Michigan Department of Transportation said this morning that crews will kick off a $7.1 million resurfacing of Michigan between Livernois and Rosa Parks Boulevard around 8 a.m. Monday. The parking lane and the lane adjacent to it in each direction will close first, through late May. Crews will then move to the left and center turn lanes.
    MDOT said the project, which includes traffic signal upgrades and curb repairs, will wrap up in mid-October. Access to businesses along that section of the avenue will be maintained.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010042...o-start-Monday

Let's hope they get done faster than that stretch from Livernois to Wyoming. That took forEVER.

Isn't that stretch the General Motors test track?

They are removing the brick and pumping in cement with a brick-like look. You have to admit, if they used brick, it would last so long the contractors would have to wait another 60 years for more work. This way, they can start rebuilding this stretch of Michigan in 10 years, tops. At least your car won't slide on slick brick ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    This way, they can start rebuilding this stretch of Michigan in 10 years, tops. At least your car won't slide on slick brick ...
    TEN years??? It took Telegraph Rd. only a few months to start falling apart after they rebuilt it from 12 Mile to Square Lake around 2001. Now it's in terrible shape and they are going to do the work all over again. Our MI tax $$ at work.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    TEN years??? It took Telegraph Rd. only a few months to start falling apart after they rebuilt it from 12 Mile to Square Lake around 2001. Now it's in terrible shape and they are going to do the work all over again. Our MI tax $$ at work.
    I know. Actually, though, now that I look more closely, this isn't the brick stretch. [[This is just past it.) But, as they say ... wait for it ... the brick must be torn up soon so that wonderful new concrete can go down and be busted up in eight years or so, as you say.

DN, actually it is a brick stretch. about 20 years ago it was paved over with asphalt. That was the last real work done to the roadway.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    DN, actually it is a brick stretch. about 20 years ago it was paved over with asphalt. That was the last real work done to the roadway.
    Rosa Parks to Livernois is brick? News to me. I thought only Rosa Parks to the Lodge was brick.

Well, let's go pick up some of the last Michigan Avenue bricks, then. See you on eBay?

does anyone know if this is only resurfacing or does it include # of lanes changes? Mich ave is waaaay too wide for it's current traffic. I wouldn't mind seeing them take a lane off either side and make it more pedestrian.

Don't worry folks The construction crew will patch some broken concrete on Michigan Ave. buy cutting the potholes and refill it new concrete.

"A short term delay means long term relief." McNamara.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    does anyone know if this is only resurfacing or does it include # of lanes changes? Mich ave is waaaay too wide for it's current traffic. I wouldn't mind seeing them take a lane off either side and make it more pedestrian.
    Now that you mention it, one of the points of discussion regarding the argument for mass transit on MI ave. was that it had several lanes to work with, as opposed to the issues with putting mass transit on Woodward first.

MI ave used to accommodate a high level of traffic back when the plants between MI ave and the rail line were all running, and at full capacity. But there aren't a whole lot of pedestrians walking around on the ave to justify expanding the sidewalk. The commercial strip between Clark and Livernois is HIT. That do-it-yourself carwash looks like a scene out of a horror flick, and someone keeps breaking into the abandoned Firehouse across the street.

And I WISH they would fix the brick section of MI ave. I live two streets south of it and can't find any more creative ways to get around it.

I would like to have some of those bricks.

Boy, wouldn't it be nice to see a stretch of boulevard down Mich Ave for a ways out of Downtown, sort of like Gratiot in the Easter Market area. The Corktown area keeps looking better, maybe a little greenery down Michigan Ave would look good. but I'm certain that would cost some real money, and the state doesn not have it.

We're workin on it. Right now the community feels that safety is a greater issue than beautification, and you'll hear no arguments from me. I know that there are lots of plans in the works for MI ave through Corktown, and greenery is a big part of the plan.

One of the dominating discussions regarding development is centered on the old tiger stadium site. Most folks here in the neighborhood want it to become a park for baseball and/or soccer and a community center, with a showcase of greenery to compliment the park's high visibility from the intersection and the freeway. Not sure if that will be the end result, but the final plan is up to DEGC.

Also, the guys that are fixing up the coney restaurant across from OTS are also fixing up the old pawn shop and the commercial stretch just west of it is supposed to be next. Not sure if they are big greening guys but I can find out.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; April-26-10 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    We're workin on it. Right now the community feels that safety is a greater issue than beautification, and you'll hear no arguments from me. I know that there are lots of plans in the works for MI ave through Corktown, and greenery is a big part of the plan.

One of the dominating discussions regarding development is centered on the old tiger stadium site. Most folks here in the neighborhood want it to become a park for baseball and/or soccer and a community center, with a showcase of greenery to compliment the park's high visibility from the intersection and the freeway. Not sure if that will be the end result, but the final plan is up to DEGC.

Also, the guys that are fixing up the coney restaurant across from OTS are also fixing up the old pawn shop and the commercial stretch just west of it is supposed to be next. Not sure if they are big greening guys but I can find out.

So nice to hear this stuff. Please keep us posted.