Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Newberry Hall apartments

Stumbled on this building today, what a nice one it is! Hopefully they still plan on restoring it.

That's quite a nice building. I am glad to see it being rehabbed.

^ It is not "being" rehabbed. As you can see no work has been done except placement of a billboard that has started to fall apart. We've heard that story before in Brush park with a few unfortunate endings.

The story on this building is strange, and has been strange since it was built. The architect is the same guy who designed our state capitol, Eli Myers. A guy who woke up mad at the world and lived his life dedicated to making sure everyone knew it.

Flash forward to a couple years ago, the Jonna Construction firm had the rights to develop the place; but they fell out of favor with The Felon and many of their projects suffered for not being able to get occupancy permits. One of their projects is at Amsterdam and Second... and has lingered at the edge on completion for years. I'm sure a ton of folks have driven by that corner and wondered why a building with new windows, doors and mechanical is sitting empty.

Anyway, Jonna lost the gig on the Newberry renovation and I believe it is now in the hands of Phoenix Development. Thats the guys who occupy the chateau on Grand River at 12th St that use to be a police precinct.

The Phoenix guy also testified recently that MonCon would sidle up and actually pull money out of his pocket.

I heard that it was going to be taken down to make room for some expansion but this was several years ago.

Work is indeed being done. There have been workers on the site for the past week.

YAY....well, the sign said LATE 2010

I'm still surprised that this renovation is actually happening. It had every odd stacked against it. I'm sure the DMC wanted this place gone long ago.

It really is a beautiful building - I hope it does get renovated. Would make for great apartments/condos for medical professionals.

Oh, it's definitely getting renovated. They've been working on it for months.

There were some hiccups, but the renovation is definitely moving forward. Expect completion this year.

It should be done by the end of December. The front lobby is incredible.

Has anyone seen updated prices for the leases? Or know who to call?

Yes. Call Zachary & Associates at 313-831-6100. Ask for Ernie Zachary or Diane VanBuren.

Does anyone know if this was the residence hall for the Harper Hospital School of Nursing back in the early 60's? I remember going to an Orientation back then...but can't remember if this was the building or not.

Blueidone, did you know Wilda Rush from nursing school?

Mike, I never attended the school. I went to two orientations where they took us through the hospital and the school. Then they served "high tea" in what I think was the lobby of the residence hall. This would have been in 1964 and 1965, I think. As much as my inner being seems to contain the spirit of Florence Nightengale, I decided not to go into nursing. I went to Grand Valley State to become a teacher instead, but never finished. I met the "man of my dreams" and got married and left school. I'm thinking I should have gone to Harper School of Nursing since the man of my dreams became the man nightmares are made of.

^^^
    Well, Blue, at least you're with the man of your dreams now!

Stromberg2

Yes, Stromberg! I firmly believe that every life event is a learning experience and the choices you make lead you on to better things. It may have taken me 20+ years to find him, but it was well worth the wait! Hope to see you again soon...maybe at the Holiday Dinner at the Garden?

Update-o-rama! Newberry has a waiting list. Will open Jan. 1! http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...nteriors-1.php

This is great to see a building like this renovated and being put to good use. The building looks amazing and charming, but looking out of the windows in the pictures the surrounding area doesn't look so charming. Not that it's the Ghetto or anything, but I picture a building like this on a more "charming" street with a nice courtyard. Of course if I worked at the Hospital I would love that commute.