Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sherrard and Breitmeyer schools

If you want to see these schools one last time I would do it soon! Some pictures from yesterday.

2 more

Thanks for sharing these.

No problem, I am hoping to hear stories anyone has to share from these 2 schools.

Thanks for posting these. My beloved late father attended both of these schools in the 1930s.

At the time, the area was a mix of African American and Jewish working / middle class families....my family is AA.

My dad had very fond memories of both schools and the neighborhood. He said that during hot summer nights, people of all groups would sleep in the open air on the school grounds.

I have a couple of snapshots that were taken in front of both schools in the late 1930s.

Wild, do you think you could scan and post those snapshots for us to see? I would love to see them.

such beautiful buildings...what a shame

Thanks for posting these DetroitZack.

Default National Register nomination

Breitmeyer is on the list of Detroit Public Schools being nominated to the National Register of Historic Places. The Michigan State Historic Preservation Review Board and interested members of the public will hear the nomination at their quarterly meeting coming up next Monday, May 10 in Lansing at the Michigan Historical Center at 10:00am. I'm not sure why Sherrard is not on the list.

Nomination to the register will not protect either building, nor any of the others [[there are something like 94 resources in the multiple resource nomination), but it does recognize their architectural and cultural importance in America's - and our - society.

^I'm having problems with the pdf off the site. What are the other schools up for nomination?

Attachment 5932

Here is the list of all DPS resources to be included in the NR Nomination.

May 3, 4:00 AM EDT

City High first of 10 schools to be torn down

DETROIT [[AP) -- The old Detroit City High will be the first of 10 public schools torn down as part of plan to rid neighborhoods of blighted buildings.
    The district says in a release that demolition of the school is expected to start Monday morning. Nine other schools are slated to be torn down through June.
    Demolition was authorized by emergency financial manager Robert Bobb and will be financed through bond money. Bobb says the district has established a hiring target of 100 percent Detroit residents to do the work and will help contractors meet that goal.
    The district has dozens of closed schools and is expected to shutter about 50 more over the next three years. Bobb says the district hopes to sell or lease closed school buildings that are not in blighted condition.

have any of you did any exlploring inside the schools? there may be some yearbooks, pictures or some other memorabilia lying around....

I explored Sherrard a while back but not Breitmeyer. It was too trashed to find anything good laying around. I will post the pictures on here tonight.

Here is Sherrard. Sorry for the quality, these were with my old crappy camera.

Loved the old clock!

I've been into the courtyard at the old Detroit High [[wilbur wright) and there was nothing really much inside, scrappers had done their damage.
    There was Fallout shelter Boxes and Water barrels here and there.
    I drive by it all the time and the boldness of the graffiti is crazy.
    That was the first time I saw graffiti that was done with a paint roller.
    And the Fence around the courtyard has been removed.

In this Detroit News article it says that in place of these schools will be a 25,000 square foot Office of Public Safety Headquarters. It's too bad they couldn't just use the 2 schools for it.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...down-City-High

Excellent point DZ. I'm sure it wasn't even considered, but I imagine all or at least some portion of the two existing buildings could have been saved for the new use of the property.

According to the article below, the two subject schools in question will begin to see demo work TODAY.

http://detroitnews.com/article/20100...-wrecking-ball

The addition on the front of Sherrard is pretty much all demo'd. Just letting everyone know because it's definately not a view you could get before with that ugly crap infront of it. Later today I will post the picture I took yesterday.

Good job Zack....youre brave to enter them dwellings... Old clock was interesting...I think Sherrad had a Jewish student body? There is a pic in a book in my collection, title escapses me, but there is a pic of a groundbreaking for the school..I think the houses in the foreground could have been part of the neighborhood where 75 runs...

Maybe you could find the book for us and photocopy the picture or tell us the name of the book when you find out. I am interested in anything that has to do with these 2 schools. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    Maybe you could find the book for us and photocopy the picture or tell us the name of the book when you find out. I am interested in anything that has to do with these 2 schools. Thanks!
    Sure thing Zack..I am on my laptop now...let me text my other half....

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Sure thing Zack..I am on my laptop now...let me text my other half....
    The book is titled 'Harmony and Dissonance' by Sydney something or other.... Jewish Identity in Detroit, I believe is the sub-title...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast