Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Friday Blues... Campbell-Ewald to lose GM Chevrolet ad account

My Crain's email alert on this just popped into the inbox. White collar outsourcing continues.

[snip]
    "General Motors Co. confirmed this afternoon plans to move all the remaining Chevrolet advertising work away from Warren-based Campbell-Ewald to a rival — ending a relationship dating back to 1919."
    “Over the coming months we will transition the business to Publicis Worldwide, which has recently been handling our car and crossover brands.” [Paris-based rival advertising holding company Publicis Groupe SA, owns Worldwide.]

Campbell-Ewald will retain some non-Chevrolet GM work, said Klaus-Peter Martin of Chevy communications. He declined to say what the work is, and could not provide any other details on the agency shift.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article.../100429911/-1#

I believe the work is going to their offices in Dallas and Seattle. Just in case anybody feels like bringing up the debate about mass transit and ad agencies again.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I believe the work is going to their offices in Dallas and Seattle. Just in case anybody feels like bringing up the debate about mass transit and ad agencies again.
    Huh? C-E isn't moving, the account is going to a competitor.

Perhaps the real debate should be why a company owned by the American taxpayer is now going to us a French company to do its ads.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Huh? C-E isn't moving, the account is going to a competitor.

Perhaps the real debate should be why a company owned by the American taxpayer is now going to us a French company to do its ads.
    Publicis has several locations in the United States. The Chevy work is being split between their Seattle and Dallas offices, as I understand it.

Publicis has several locations in the United States. The Chevy work is being split between their Seattle and Dallas offices, as I understand it.
    Yes but wasnt the whole "creatives need mass transit argument "about the closing of the Detroit office of an agency? C-E isn't moving...it may go out of business after losing chevy, but it's not like it closed the Detroit...er um...Warren office and sent the Chevy work to Dallas and Seattle. They lost it to a French competitor.
    Last edited by bailey; April-23-10 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Yes but wasnt the whole creatives need mass transit argument about the closing of the Detroit office of an agency? C-E isn't moving...it may go out of business after losing chevy, but it's not like it closed the Detroit...er um...Warren office and sent the Chevy work to Dallas and Seattle. They lost it to a French competitor.
    Ah, I don't know. I only skimmed that nonsense. The thrust of my post is to let you know where the work went, and the other part was just for my own amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    My Crain's email alert on this just popped into the inbox. White collar outsourcing continues.
    Outsourcing? When was the work ever insourced? GM's farmed it out for a century and they'll continue to do so with a different vendor.

Don't Seattle and Dallas both have train systems?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Don't Seattle and Dallas both have train systems?
    I can't clarify myself any more times. Just pretend I said whatever you want.

I can't clarify myself any more times. Just pretend I said whatever you want.
    Eh, guess I just didn't get the joke.

Did Obama's team make this happen? Was this inevitable after 90 years? Regardless, it is not good and the headlines should read that many, many local jobs will be lost becasue of this.

Hat tip to forumer Bill Shea for his scoop, which earned attribution in a Wall Street Journal pickup.

Retroit Guest

When all the foreign car owners start complaining that their foreign cars are being advertised by foreign firms, I'll start complaining about the outsourcing of American jobs.

When all the foreign car owners start complaining that their foreign cars are being advertised by foreign firms, I'll start complaining about the outsourcing of American jobs.
    How bout when your job is given to Pedro in Juarez?

Exactly... I have a couple of friends at C-E. Some that have weathered other cuts and account drops. This one will hurt... there are already floor half occupied over there. Not to mention all of the vendors, media buyers, web staff, printers, etc who will be effected by this... it will be a w-i-d-e ripple.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Did Obama's team make this happen? Was this inevitable after 90 years? Regardless, it is not good and the headlines should read that many, many local jobs will be lost becasue of this.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    How bout when your job is given to Pedro in Juarez?
    As long as Pedro is being employed by an American company and not a foreign company, then I guess my only gripe should be with my government for allowing foreign labor to be cheaper, or rather, for allowing foreign goods made with cheap labor to be dumped in our country.

Huh? Pedro?
    .----
    This is horrid news for the metro area. Especially for places like Birmingham and Royal Oak where a ton of C-E employees call home. The loss of creative proffessional jobs is a stab in the heart of recording, animation, illustration, film studios and editing salons. One of the reasons there is a creative vibe in places like Ferndale and Royal Oak is due to the people at C-E.

With the Chevy work gone, and the closing of suppliers, other ad shops and their suppliers will find it more difficult to keep the doors open. When those grove kats shut their doors, the fun and funky store fronts and eateries that service that crowd will likewise fold.

This is a bigger hit than is known right now.

Publisis owns Leo Burnett Agency. Leo Burnett has a big office in Troy near Somerset used to do some Cadillac. Those jobs may be going down the road.

http://www.publicisgroupe.com/site/i...sp?language=EN

Leo Burnett website;
    http://www.leoburnett.com/#/brands

In some sense, it's almost no surprise..Ed whitacre is in charge. Former boss of ATT, a company that was the undisputed world leader in "telecom" manufacturing, which, amazingly, now makes absolutely NOTHING. They don't make a single wire, chip, bolt, etc. Makes me sick to pay the phone bill here. That said, they new GM TV ads are great, featuring ed, of course. I wonder who did it?
    Also, another alarming note: The GM board of directors has another new member, this week. Like all the other new members, no "factory" experience whatsoever. This illustrious member is a psychology teacher in california, who is also involved in mexican immigrants rights issues. [[read: another ammensty for the illegals) Of course she is hispanic, and 'ol Ed praised the diversity she brings to GM. Stupid me, I thought GM exists to make stuff! Those old Chevy ads were the greatest, it's sad to see'em go.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    One of the reasons there is a creative vibe in places like Ferndale and Royal Oak is due to the people at C-E.
    This is a bigger hit than is known right now.
    We saw this last year at Woodward dreamcruise, and were wondering where all these shops came from, and who their customers were. Thanks!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mpf View Post
    Also, another alarming note: The GM board of directors has another new member, this week. Like all the other new members, no "factory" experience whatsoever. This illustrious member is a psychology teacher in california, who is also involved in mexican immigrants rights issues. [[read: another ammensty for the illegals) Of course she is hispanic, and 'ol Ed praised the diversity she brings to GM.
    In what way is this relevant to anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    In what way is this relevant to anything?
    Shakeups at GM...the subject of the initial post. Get it?

GM board of directors has always had its share of token preachers, teachers, and community activist types since the early 1970's, of various persuasions, with at least one female on the board.

Has meant nothing for the last 30 years and means nothing now. Adding a female, Hispanic, teacher to the GM Board is more window dressing. Boards of large Corps. are usually far afield from the actual working of the company.

As for Whitacre he might be an Iacocca wannabe.

Wonder when Ed relocates GM's HQ to Houston? It is more likely than you think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast