Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bill would pay Detroit students to earn good grades

From today's Freep:

"Detroit high school students could earn up to $2,000 a year for passing major subjects under a bill that is to be introduced in Lansing today.

It is one of three bills from Sen. Hansen Clarke, D-Detroit, that would reorganize about 30 failing high schools in Detroit Public Schools and offer extra pay to teachers and students for improvements.

One bill would demand sweeping reorganization, including maximum class sizes of 16 students, character education classes, mentors and individualized learning plans for each student in DPS's high schools that failed to make adequate yearly progress the past five years.

Clarke said he wants the changes implemented before school lets out for the summer. He said he would approach the Broad Foundation, created by DPS alum Eli Broad to support changes in education, about providing money to pay students for good grades. He has not formally requested it, he added.

Sen. Wayne Kuipers, R-Holland, chair of the Senate Education Committee, said Monday he would be interested to know how such changes are working in other states."

?!

I understand scholarships, but cold hard cash? Is this not a remedial incentive that would ultimately undermine itself?
    Last edited by oneway; April-21-09 at 12:28 PM.

Wow!!

How about every other good student in Michigan, shouldn't they gte money? How about retroactive pay? You can't do much these days without a crutch.

How about free shoes for people who can tie their own shoe laces or money for people if you don't commit a crime.

If Lansing wants to throw out money they don't have to Detroit Schools, maybe they should buy them some books and toilet paper first?

[quote=oneway;10429]From today's Freep:

"Detroit high school students could earn up to $2,000 a year for passing major subjects under a bill that is to be introduced in Lansing today.

That is the most disgusting thing I ever heard. Why not just be a diploma mill and sell the diplomas for $5.00 each? That bill is an insult to anyone who worked hard to get an education.

Stosh Guest

[quote=marshall;10482]
    Quote Originally Posted by oneway View Post
    From today's Freep:

That is the most disgusting thing I ever heard. Why not just be a diploma mill and sell the diplomas for $5.00 each? That bill is an insult to anyone who worked hard to get an education.
    I agree. Where in a 800 ++ million dollar black hole of a budget can they come up with the cash for this program? Let alone the possibilities for kickbacks? And what about the other poorer performing districts in the state? What are they? Chopped liver?

The money would NOT be tax dollars. As Clarke said, he would solicit funding from the likes of Eli Broad.....

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    The money would NOT be tax dollars. As Clarke said, he would solicit funding from the likes of Eli Broad.....
    As Barnum said once, there's a sucker born every minute.

Sounds like Merit Pay for high performing students. If it's good for students, why not teachers and admins?

When I attended college full time I received Pell grants and even got something called a "Smart Grant" for maintaining a GPA higher then 3.5. I never thought to question the origins of the grants until this thread. If college kids can get grants, why is paying high school kids seen as a "handout"?

Stosh Guest

[QUOTE=oneway;10429]From today's Freep:

[\quote]

I see nothing that mentions high performance. Merely a passing grade.

i agree with countrysquire.

i'm guessing there's a lot of kids in dps who are in really tough financial situations who have to weigh going to school or dropping out and getting a job. this might help them decide to stay in school

While I don't like the idea of paying students to earn grades, I do like the rest of what was said in the article [[about class size being 16 and such). I talked with some of my students about this today and they are NOT for it...they gave many reasons but said that they don't want a hand out just because they live in Detroit.

I used to get $1 for every A and 50ΒΆ for a B, but it wasn't the gov't that gave it to me. My how times have changed.

To reward high school students with cash that may not necessarily be used for higher education makes absolutely no sense. What is the expectation exactly? Grants and scholarships reward scholastic achivement by offering a relevant opportunity for growth. It's an investment, which is why some cities like Kalamazoo have promise programs.

And I agree with DetroitTeacher, the other proposals regarding class size, mentors and individualized learning plans would go much further to ensure a decent educational opportunity.
    Last edited by oneway; April-21-09 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    I used to get $1 for every A and 50ΒΆ for a B, but it wasn't the gov't that gave it to me. My how times have changed.
    And I bet that was for report card grades, not every test or paper, right?

First and only time I brought home a report card with a "D" I was convinced my mother would skin me alive.

Quote Originally Posted by oneway View Post
    To reward high school students with cash that may not necessarily be used for higher education makes absolutely no sense. What is the expectation exactly? Grants and scholarships reward scholastic achivement by offering a relevant opportunity for growth. It's an investment, which is why some cities like Kalamazoo have promise programs.
    The scholastic performance that would earn this pay is itself "growth" that might otherwise not occur. The performance may lead to other opportunities for scholarships or college grants. Even if a student who wins the payment does not go on to college, he/she received a better education because of his/her own hard work. I cannot see how the fact that this is not itself a scholarship or grant for the next level of education makes it worthless.

Learning is good in and of itself, even at the now-lowly high school level. If this serves as an effective incentive, then it's accomplishing something good.

The fact that it would be funded by private money is also important, I think. I doubt I agree with the politician bringing up this idea on most issues, but it seems like the sort of creative solution that DPS and other failing school systems can use.

as far as pell grants [[and the like), those funds are available for students who have shown initiative and want to further their education. this money is for people who seemingly must be coaxed to do the bare minimum. there's a big difference.

but i do think it would be a highly effective means of keeping kids in school in detroit. just give them $2000 and dare them to walk out the front door.

Angry Dad Guest

Maybe Monica can fund this after she sells Cobo Hall for a billion and a half to L Brooks Patterson.

cloud_wall,

Despite your scenario that some students might take their education more seriously due to the proposal, it doesn't begin to fix the reasons why DPS and many of the students' academics suffer. And if DPS or any advocate think some short-sighted incentives or pandering gimmicks is what's going to keep DPS' head above water, the school system will continue in its state.
    Last edited by oneway; April-21-09 at 07:54 PM.

They should offer the money to the parents of children who get passing grades, good attendance and good conduct. I think the root of this problem lies within the parents, and if the parents could be enticed to become more involved the better the results would be. Paying kids to get passing grades only means some children will buy into the rewards program. Paying parents means those that fall behind or get in trouble face very bad news at home.

good lord, a pill for everything, and cash too.

Haikoont Guest

DetroitTeacher, I'm curious. Is there a portion of the student population you'd have trepidation about not passing? I believe you've mentioned teacher assaults on these boards before. With this plan, you'd have the power to take money right out of students' pockets, so to speak. Could that be troublesome to your health?

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    When I attended college full time I received Pell grants and even got something called a "Smart Grant" for maintaining a GPA higher then 3.5. I never thought to question the origins of the grants until this thread. If college kids can get grants, why is paying high school kids seen as a "handout"?
    That's college. You are paying for that, so you have a greater incentive to mitigate costs through securing grants and scholarships.

This may be effective, but it's ugly that it has come to this for Michigan. I don't think it's the correct way, but really what's left for Detroit Public Schools?