Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fisher Auto Body 21

Does anyone know what's going on at Fisher Auto Body 21? I hadn't noticed anything new there in a while but when I was driving by yesterday I noticed about 45 cars in the parking lot there, all with numbers and tags on them. As well as what looked like security talking with someone on the property.

DetroitZak....Whats up mah dude....long time no talk to, eh? Yeah, Fisher Body is now officially a Detroit Police Impound Lot! WTF? What a waste of money for that huge environmental cleanup they did a couple years ago....all for a stupid impound lot....only in detroit!

Hey man! Wow, must not of been any other lots in the whole city for them to use. I was hoping something would be done with the place. Sticks out like a sore thumb when you are drivng by on the highway.

There's now a security trailer and security truck there that were added a month ago, but I haven't seen any vehicles there in months. Are they still using this as an impound lot? I haven't seen cars parked there since at least before december.

Like my first post says on April 22 I counted at least 45 cars there.

i went by there today, and the lot is full of cars

I've seen a striking contrast between the Fisher Body plant 21 and the Strijp-S complex in Eindhoven, the Netherlands. Strijp was the birthplace of the Philips electronics company. In the US perhaps better known as Norelco. The complex was vacated some time ago but the buildings have been declared a national monument. These buildings incidently also survive an allied bombardament in December 1942.

These buildings are just as old as most of the Michigan industrial buildings. This part is known as "Het Klokgebouw" or Clockbuilding. The reason why is evident. It was build in 1928. The whole complex was declared a national industrial monument, which means all these buildings will be spared for future generations.

The Clockbuilding. The rotating Philips logo on top still works.

The Philips logo.

Granted, these buildings have one thing in hand that the Fisher Body plant doesn't; a dense population surrounding it. These buildings will be converted to apparmentbuildings and an entertainment center. And the buildings have stood vacant for a much shorter period, some since 2000, others were still in use until recently. And they also never suffered from vandalism. The Philips company also has a heart for their history

Not everything was saved. This just happened a few hours ago from posting this message...
    Last edited by Whitehouse; May-08-10 at 10:27 AM.

I hope they are not tearing-down the plant. I will be starting a nonprofit organization in 2011. dedicated to the restoration of the plant .
    Last edited by im habit formin; June-07-10 at 02:22 PM.

Is this perhaps, the latest location shot for some movie?

I work down the street from the plant. what movie are they shooting?

I will be meeting with a guy who use to work at the plant. do you think they are going to tearing-down fisher body 21?
    Last edited by im habit formin; June-06-10 at 10:54 PM.

It definitely has some structural issues that need addressing. Certain area have had floor slabs collapse, and considering the building's skeleton is a monolithic cast in place system, it's not a matter of fixing a few broken pieces

What's with all the worry about Fisher being demolished? I don't see any indication that it is in imediate danger.

LodgeDodger Guest

Who owns Fisher Body 21?

I think the city of Detroit owns it.
    Last edited by im habit formin; June-07-10 at 12:45 PM.