Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default lafayette orleans area

Does anyone know why lafaytette avenue is closed at the intersection of Orleans. Is the bridge that is over the dequindre cut undergoing replacement?

will the dequindr cut shut down in that area?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    will the dequindr cut shut down in that area?
    I was wondering why Lafayette was shut down as well. But the Dequindre Cut I assume will be left alone. It is below street level.

When I lived in Lafayette Park from 2005-2008 that bridge had been planned for replacement on multiple occasions. I would guess they finally found the resources to make it happen.

The Lafayette and Larned bridges over the Dequindre Cut are currently closed for bridge repairs. You can still go under the bridges on the Cut.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    The Lafayette and Larned bridges over the Dequindre Cut are currently closed for bridge repairs. You can still go under the bridges on the Cut.
    Woud the Dequindre Cut Close if the bridges are being replaced. I can't see tearing down the bridge when people are walking underneasth them

Um, no one said they were tearing the bridges down. They're just being repaired. You don't have to tear something down to repair it. There have been a few closures of the Cut for a day or two for certain aspects of the construction. But they're open now and have been open during most of the construction.

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    Um, no one said they were tearing the bridges down. They're just being repaired. You don't have to tear something down to repair it. There have been a few closures of the Cut for a day or two for certain aspects of the construction. But they're open now and have been open during most of the construction.
    I had went into the Cut yesterday evening and it is fenced off underneath the bridges so you can't go through. It looks as though the bridges are being taken apart on top. That should had been done during the late fall early winter months when traffic in the cut was light

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSTAR View Post
    When I lived in Lafayette Park from 2005-2008 that bridge had been planned for replacement on multiple occasions. I would guess they finally found the resources to make it happen.
    There's a friendly orange sign nearby stating that the project is being funded by ARRA.

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    You are right. The Cut is open. I stand corrected

I had found that the lafayette bridge and Larned bridge will take four months to complete. The dequindre cut will be closed during the weekday and open on the weekend. What bad timing. This project should had been worked on last winter. The Cut could had opened it's Atwater section and walkers could had enjoyed the whole cut from Gratiot to Atwater uninterrupted by the time summer had arrived. Just like the city leaders to botch this one up also

Although I agree that this should have been done in the winter; A) It's way more expensive to do it then and B) ARRA money needed to be used on "shovel ready" projects. This is why M59 was started last fall and stopped half way through for the winter.

The question I have is when are they going to replace the Dequindre Cut sign that someone hit over 6 weeks ago [[that's as long as I've noticed it). Someone picked it up off the sidewalk and leaned it up against one of the mangled posts but it looks to be gone now.