Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Cms

Default Cms

Fellow web designers and developers on the forum. I am currently working on a web site and the client I am working for just informed me that she would like a Content Management System that she can use to update her site as well as include a blog. Is there any software that I can find out there where I can just attach it to the site instead of doing it from scratch with php or coldfusion?

Thanx in advance...

Stosh Guest

There's lots of content management system software out there, but if free is good try Joomla.

Wordpress is probably the easiest, is highly versatile and continually improving. Andrew's www.internationalmetropolis.com is a good demonstration of what can be done with it. Joomla, Drupal, Xoops, Expression web and vBulletin [what this site is built on] will all do what you need and each has its advantages and weaknesses.

The main thing all offer is a prebuilt database, php programming to connect all the parts and a backend control panel with adjustable permissions to allow your customer to control the pages they need without mucking up the overall design and structure. The first four are free source and have large support communities. Expression Web and vBulletin cost, but they are worth it and have great support too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Wordpress is probably the easiest, is highly versatile and continually improving. Andrew's www.internationalmetropolis.com is a good demonstration of what can be done with it. Joomla, Drupal, Xoops, Expression web and vBulletin [what this site is built on] will all do what you need and each has its advantages and weaknesses.

The main thing all offer is a prebuilt database, php programming to connect all the parts and a backend control panel with adjustable permissions to allow your customer to control the pages they need without mucking up the overall design and structure. The first four are free source and have large support communities. Expression Web and vBulletin cost, but they are worth it and have great support too.
    ok so what I am asking is....can I build my own skin and somehow get word press to function in there? This blog will also be incorporated into a large web site that i am developing...

I just downloaded Joomla and Wordpress, but after that I am pretty lost on whats next. I would appreciate any help...

Yes to all above. However it is a little different. The first thing you need to do is create an empty mySQL database on your website, then upload and install Wordpress. All the files, programming and fields in the database etc. will be populated for you and administrative control panel will be created.

At that point you will login and largely work through the admin control panel. There will be a default skin but since the free source Wordpress community is so large there are thousands of free skins available. Once installed you can switch skins in a single click, just as you can change this site to its mobile/small screen version using the Quick Style Chooser at the bottom of any page on this site.

From there, with some practice, you can manually alter those skin templates and stylesheets to bend them to your look. In other words Wordpress forms a database centered backbone to your site from which you can build out pages you need either within Wordpress or outside of it. By the same token you could throw a Wordpress install into an existing site.

With in Wordpress you have the option to create blog pages or just regular page. Then there are thousands of plug-ins [programming already done] that you can add.

I recommend that you open a $25 a month account with www.lynda.com. They have excellent step by step training for Wordpress installation and use, along with all kinds of other software, that will guide you through what you need to know and far more. You will only need it for one month.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Yes to all above. However it is a little different. The first thing you need to do is create an empty mySQL database on your website, then upload and install Wordpress. All the files, programming and fields in the database etc. will be populated for you and administrative control panel will be created.

At that point you will login and largely work through the admin control panel. There will be a default skin but since the free source Wordpress community is so large there are thousands of free skins available. Once installed you can switch skins in a single click, just as you can change this site to its mobile/small screen version using the Quick Style Chooser at the bottom of any page on this site.

From there, with some practice, you can manually alter those skin templates and stylesheets to bend them to your look. In other words Wordpress forms a database centered backbone to your site from which you can build out pages you need either within Wordpress or outside of it. By the same token you could throw a Wordpress install into an existing site.

With in Wordpress you have the option to create blog pages or just regular page. Then there are thousands of plug-ins [programming already done] that you can add.

I recommend that you open a $25 a month account with www.lynda.com. They have excellent step by step training for Wordpress installation and use, along with all kinds of other software, that will guide you through what you need to know and far more. You will only need it for one month.

Ok I guess I am officially an idiot. I cant make niehter head nor tails of this....if anyway possible could someone contact me and kinda of walk me through it? Im reading these instructions and they are reading like heiroglyphic graffitti....

I really could use some assistance with this wordpress. Its literally giving me a migraine!

Default wordpress tutorials on youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    I really could use some assistance with this wordpress. Its literally giving me a migraine!
    Hi,

Try youtube.com there are a bunch of wordpress installation tutorials as well as many on creating and modifying wordpress themes.

http://www.detropia.com - a wordpress site btw