Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default CREW's List of America's Worst Governors

CREW's List of America's Worst Governors
    CREW’s Worst Governors report details the unethical and incompetent actions of 11 governors who pride their self-interests over their states'.

CREW reviewed the job performance of all 50 of our nation’s governors to determine which are the worst. We considered whether governors had violated ethics, campaign finance and personal financial disclosure rules as well as whether they had complied with state transparency laws. It is nearly impossible to compare governors’ adherence to the laws because state rules and laws vary so widely. Each state has its own ethical rules and standards. Requirements regarding disclosure of campaign contributions and expenditures and personal finances differ significantly as do state open records laws. Some states make much more information publicly available than others.

Despite these difficulties, CREW was been able to reach some general conclusions about which governors violated agreed upon notions of competence, transparency and integrity.
    • Gov. Haley Barbour [[R-MS)
    • Gov. Donald Carcieri [[R-RI)
    • Gov. Jim Gibbons [[R-NV)
    • Gov. Bobby Jindal [[R-LA)
    • Gov. David Paterson [[D-NY)
    • Gov. Sonny Perdue [[R-GA)
    • Gov. Rick Perry [[R-TX)
    • Gov. Bill Richardson [[D-NM)
    • Gov. Mike Rounds [[R-SD)
    • Gov. Mark Sanford [[R-SC)
    • Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger [[R-CA)
    Details at the link.

You people up there would be beyond lucky to have a governor who is a fraction as talented, professional, honest and effective as Texas' Governor Rick Perry. [[And, it would take luck because Michiganians seem incapable of electing anybody who knows what they're doing, but do know how to suck up to unions and perpetuate their elected status.)

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    You people up there would be beyond lucky to have a governor who is a fraction as talented, professional, honest and effective as Texas' Governor Rick Perry. [[And, it would take luck because Michiganians seem incapable of electing anybody who knows what they're doing, but do know how to suck up to unions and perpetuate their elected status.)
    I think Granholm is basically honest, my problem with her was that until she became a lame duck she was too much into sticking her finger in the air to see which way the political winds were blowing. As a result it damaged whatever legacy she may have had.

Bearinabox Guest

Wasn't Jim Gibbons the guy who took his girlfriend on a trip to DC, and continually denied that she was there with him after someone caught the two of them on camera leaving the airport and getting into the same car? That was pretty funny. Guy's dumber than Kwame.

There's a lot of evidence of Pelosi using her position to get free trips and transportation for her friends and family. Google it and the links are astounding & numerous, as well as interesting & credible.

Papasito, can you take a minute from work to find out what elected position Nancy Pelosi holds in the state of California? Then start another thread. Thanks

there is counciling available for people with anger issues
    control the rage

find out what elected position Nancy Pelosi holds
    I am fully aware Pelosi is not a Governer.
    But the thread does pertain to politicians that abuse power and are shady.

As far as Governers go, I'm interested to read about what Arnie is doing to get on that list when I get home from work!

A different measure of the worst governors might include the ten most bankrupt states unless the governors were actively vetoing legislative spending. the ten most bankrupt states are California, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island,Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida, and Nevada, having 6D governors and 4R governors, which is statistically not very significant.

CREW criticizes some governors on it's list because they "Endangered his state’s economy by threatening to reject federal stimulus funds". As I recall, the stimulus money often came with strings attached which were financially damaging for the state accepting the strings. How is it that refusing to further damage one's state economy is considered an 'ethical' violation? It says something about where CREW is coming from.

I would consider the Governor of North Dakota, John Hoeven [[R), which has about the lowest unemployment and largest budget surplus to be a candidate for the best governor. Those things don't happen with corruption or big spending.

I would also vote for Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer [[D) who has about the highest popularity rating of any Governor. Wikipedia has a good article on Schweitzer and the unique positions he has taken as Governor which have earned him bi-partisan support.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Schweitzer

yeah, it would be great to have a governor who practices cronie capitalism, who bails out businesses and grants special status to companies who contributed bg bucks to his campaign, who doles out state funds to his buddies on no-bid contracts all the while refusing to provide anything like transparency in government contracting practices. yep, that would be great

Michigan needs a governor like Rick Perry?!?!?!

Seriously, what would Rick Perry do that would be so wonderful for the state?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    Michigan needs a governor like Rick Perry?!?!?!

Seriously, what would Rick Perry do that would be so wonderful for the state?
    Secede from the union, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    There's a lot of evidence of Pelosi using her position to get free trips and transportation for her friends and family. Google it and the links are astounding & numerous, as well as interesting & credible.
    I'd suggest this is a problem with politicians in general and not Pelosi in particular. Politicians make the laws and break the laws. They then lean on their fellow polticians to bail them out. Even their most vociferous opponents will usually scratch their backs hoping for a back scratch in return. They have numerous ways to do the bidding of their fellow politicians, the Committee being one of the most common. Every now and then you'll see a politician being thrown overboard as a sacrifice to the Gods of the Electorate. These are not necessarily the worst, but usually the ones who've attracted the most attention and can therefore garner the most attention to the Gods of the Electorate's enforcer's attempts to appear to sanctify and purify.

When is he coming out?

Politicians make the laws and break the laws.
    Exactly. It's not a left or right thing, it's a power corrupts thing. These folks get the OJ Simpson/Donovan McNabb/Ben Roethlesberger syndrome and think they are untouchable, they think they are above the people they represent, and even exempt themselves from laws they place upon citizens. Politicians should be held accountable and punished just as the average citizen would. Ethics committees are a joke and wield little power, and turn thier eyes the other way depending upon who it is that's in question.

donovan mcnabb???
    I don't recall him stepping out of line

politicians, I think, should be given harsher sentencing/fines etc. for violating the public trust when they get convicted

OOPS
    I meant Michael Vick

[[not an eagles fan lol)

and, yes, Rb, I completely agree with you.