Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit School Demolitions

Revived Thread Aug. 19, 2015: Jump to Updated Discussion >>

========================================
    Does any one know when Ferry Elementary School [[on Palmer) is scheduled to be torn down? Think there is any way to get a brick or some such rememberence of the greatest elementary school of all time?? Is it unadvisable to just show up and look thru the building?? Any one have photos of Ferry from the late 50's early 60's??

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FerryGirl View Post
    Does any one know when Ferry Elementary School [[on Palmer) is scheduled to be torn down? Think there is any way to get a brick or some such rememberence of the greatest elementary school of all time?? Is it unadvisable to just show up and look thru the building?? Any one have photos of Ferry from the late 50's early 60's??
    The 30's will have to do.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...y=1;view=image

Thank You! I see that is from Wayne State. Think if I went to WS they would have more pics? What about the Detroit Library downtown?

Thank You! I see that is from Wayne State. Think if I went to WS they would have more pics? What about the Detroit Library downtown?
    This site may be helpful, check it out - http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/i/imag...ge=index;c=bhl

I don't advise just showing up and going in...you might be able to get a momento of the school directly after demolition, though. Just be there when it happens and ask the demo team.

As of right now, demolitons and everything else in DPS is on hold. This falls under Bobb's academic plan and that is on hold for now. My guess is the earliest anyone will know anything is early June when the court battles MAY be over. While I don't agree with much of what Bobb is doing at the moment, I do think the old vacant buildings should come down. Right now, they are a safety issue. Per the bond that was passed in November, everything that was included in the bond must be complete by march 2012...time is running out.
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; April-24-10 at 08:07 PM.

Ha! Compare that master architecture with the plastic shit out at Stoney Creek HS or Dakota HS.

If you want a piece of the building, and want to curry favor with the demo crew, bring liquor--that is the currency of the realm with those guys. A fifth of Jack or a case of beer [[they love Budweiser, don't try to give them fancy beer, it will offend them) Show up with one of these things, tell them what you want and you should have no problems.

The building has a bit of fire damage inside- I would not recommend going in it. There is all sorts of crap in the air. That being said, I talked with some of demo guys at the Breitmeyer site and they were really friendly. They said they thought they were doing Ferry School as well. I think if you spoke with them you could get a momento or something- especially if you were offering an "in kind" gift.

The picture linked above is the only one that Wayne State has- there are two negatives in the packet, but they are from an identical angle. I think the photographer took a test shot first, then moved a little to frame the telephone pole better.

Good luck!

McMillan was a pile of rubble for a month or so...showing up, there was no one around at all and there were pieces of the fancy architectural details and also the year markers [[1895) just laying around [[along with about a million bricks)

^I went in McMillan quite a few times. I took so many pictures there, I was sad to see it go but it was beyond repaid. I heard that it was Detroits oldest school still standing at the time. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    ^I went in McMillan quite a few times. I took so many pictures there, I was sad to see it go but it was beyond repaid. I heard that it was Detroits oldest school still standing at the time. Is that true?
    I believe that the former Clay School [[1888) is Detroit's oldest school building that is still standing. It's on Martin Luther King Blvd. just west of Woodward. It was rehabed and converted to offices years ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clay_School

The Beard School [[1896) is the oldest school building still used as a Detroit Public School. It's on the corner of Waterman & I75 and clearly visible from the Fisher X-way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_A._Garfield_School
    Last edited by Neilr; April-26-10 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    The building has a bit of fire damage inside- I would not recommend going in it. There is all sorts of crap in the air. That being said, I talked with some of demo guys at the Breitmeyer site and they were really friendly. They said they thought they were doing Ferry School as well. I think if you spoke with them you could get a momento or something- especially if you were offering an "in kind" gift.
    So is Breitmeyer coming down as we speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Khartoum View Post
    So is Breitmeyer coming down as we speak?
    They are doing the prep work right now on both Breitmeyer and Sherrard- emptying them out and securing the sites. The workers said both would come down within the month.

Breitmeyer may be in rough shape but she is still a gorgeous building. It is a shame- she is just five years shy of making her 100th birthday.

I heard my old school Munger/Chadsey was slated for the demo. Anyone know anything about that? Plenty legends of music went to school there. Just to name a couple that for sure went there are my good friends Spyder Turner “Stand By Me” http://www.spyderturner.com/
    and Joe Billingslea of the Contours
    http://www.thecontours.net/

I'd love to know if anyone is aware of the time slotted for demolishion.
    Johnnie Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Sue Bridges View Post
    I heard my old school Munger/Chadsey was slated for the demo. Anyone know anything about that? Plenty legends of music went to school there. Just to name a couple that for sure went there are my good friends Spyder Turner “Stand By Me†http://www.spyderturner.com/
    and Joe Billingslea of the Contours
    http://www.thecontours.net/

I'd love to know if anyone is aware of the time slotted for demolishion.
    Johnnie Sue
    Munger/Chadsey was on the initial list of 14 to be demolished, but more recently they only announced that 10 of those 14 would be demolished between April & June. They didn't say anything about the other 4 which were on the initial list, but they're not listed for demolition between April & June.

Also, thanks aoife, I'm not located near Detroit anymore, so I appreciate the updates. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Munger/Chadsey was on the initial list of 14 to be demolished, but more recently they only announced that 10 of those 14 would be demolished between April & June. They didn't say anything about the other 4 which were on the initial list, but they're not listed for demolition between April & June.

Also, thanks aoife, I'm not located near Detroit anymore, so I appreciate the updates. I agree with you wholeheartedly.
    Thank you Khartoum
    Please keep me posted if anyone hears of demo days for Munger/Chadsey. I'd love to get the chance to walk inside one more time and snap a few photos. Anyone got privi's to get inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Sue Bridges View Post
    Thank you Khartoum
    Please keep me posted if anyone hears of demo days for Munger/Chadsey. I'd love to get the chance to walk inside one more time and snap a few photos. Anyone got privi's to get inside?
    Be careful going through the tunnel between Chadsey & Munger.

Still seems like the demo process/bidding is corrupt.
    Top priority to the dangerous dilapidated structures, huh?
    Chadsey's been closed just one year, and the building was not near as old or dilapidated as alot of schools that closed a few years ago.

Is Cass Tech scheduled for demo?

Originally yes but more recently when they named the 10 it wasn't one of them. So hopefully it's not going to be. That building would make some great lofts.

fancy architectural details

Ya know, those tires appear to be in very good condition. Hm.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the site in time. So sad.
    BTW... the link [[http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/i/imag...ge=index;c=bhl) didn't work. Page not found.. or need access privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Ha! Compare that master architecture with the plastic shit out at Stoney Creek HS or Dakota HS.
    Or the gorgeous new modern Northville High School, complete with rows of pickle buckets in the hallways when it rains, to catch the downpour of leaks.

D.Ferry in 2009 after it was burned:
    http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=2673

Today is HISTORIC SCHOOLS DAY!!

http://blogs.nationaltrust.org/prese...nation/?p=9689

Ten Good Reasons to Show Historic Schools Some Love

by National Trust for Historic Preservation on April 27th, 2010

Today is Historic Schools Day, which is part of School Building Week, an annual program organized by the Council of Educational Facility Planners. To celebrate, I thought I’d start a conversation about the many reasons why we love our older and historic schools.
    Here’s my top ten [[in no particular order).
    Reason #1 – They’re old. Yes, that’s right – we love them because they have served and continue to educate our students. From the worn grooves on their staircases to their old-fashioned lockers, these buildings simply exude history.
    Reason #2 – We like how they look. We love admiring their architecture, which has been enjoyed by generations before us.
    Reason #3 – We like where they’re located. We think being able to walk and bike to school is pretty cool, not to mention the fact that it’s great for the environment.
    Reason #4 – We like their “compact build” [[small footprint, multiple stories, etc.), which allow them to be nestled in our neighborhoods.
    Reason #5 – We appreciate the workmanship and long-lasting materials that went into them. We like walking on their gleaming terrazzo floors and appreciate the longevity of their slate roofs.
    Reason #6 – We think the schools’ civic design and prominent placement shows how much education was – and is – valued by community members.
    Reason #7 – We like wondering about the generations who came before us. Did the folks in those old class photos have as much trouble in high school as I did? Did we take math in the same classroom? Did I use their locker?
    Reason #8 – We enjoy seeing our neighbors there – whether it’s to vote, to enjoy a potluck supper, or to walk around the track after hours.
    Reason # 9 – We appreciate the care that has gone into maintaining the building…even more so now that we’re older ourselves.
    Reason #10 – We like that they are true centers of community.
    I know these aren’t all of the reasons. Take a moment to celebrate Historic Schools Day by telling us what you appreciate about the older and historic schools in your town. Need some inspiration? We hear dusting off those old yearbooks really helps to get the wheels turning.

Renee Kuhlman is the director of special projects for the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s Center for State and Local Policy. The National Trust undertook the “Helping Johnny Walk to School: Sustaining Communities Through Smart Policy” project through a cooperative agreement with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Want to learn more? Click here to download the recently-released “Helping Johnny Walk to School: Policy Recommendations for Community-Centered Schools.”

This is self-serving, but what the hell:

http://www.michigannow.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast