Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Did they take unused, old street signs and made them into new ones?

Back at the beginning of this month I rode to the city's east side. Driving down Conner past the airport, I noticed strange street signs. Could they have taken the old ones and made them into new?

This one is at Conner St. and Kenmoor St.

I also saw similar signs at:

Conner @ Minden
    Gratiot @ Peter Hunt
    Several locations along Fort & Jefferson on the west side.

Some other pictures taken during that trip:

An old suspended mast arm mounted traffic light at Holbrook St. & Gallagher St., Hamtramck.

Two DDOT-owned Nova RTS buses along Gratiot.

A DDOT-owned New Flyer C40LF, also on Gratiot Avenue.
    Last edited by mtburb; April-21-10 at 09:43 PM.

Michigan Guest

Do you mean they repainted them with new street names?

I fail to see what it is you are asking.

why? when they can do all this.....

http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=14685

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Back at the beginning of this month I rode to the city's east side. Driving down Conner past the airport, I noticed strange street signs. Could they have taken the old ones and made them into new?

This one is at Conner St. and Kenmoor St.

I also saw similar signs at:

Conner @ Minden
    Gratiot @ Peter Hunt
    Several locations along Fort & Jefferson on the west side.

Some other pictures taken during that trip:

An old suspended mast arm mounted traffic light at Holbrook St. & Gallagher St., Hamtramck.

Two DDOT-owned Nova RTS buses along Gratiot.

A DDOT-owned New Flyer C40LF, also on Gratiot Avenue.
    I REALLY don't understand what you're asking.

The sign like at Kenmoor & Conner are all over the city. They've been up for about 5 years or so.

As for the bigger signs at Outer Drive & Gratiot, I believe the city put those up back in the late 90s and early 2000s to make a distinction from the secondary/side strets and the avenues. They're at all the businer intersections along said avenues.

When I saw them the font was very similar to the ones on the older signs.

????????????????????

When I saw them the font was very similar to the ones on the older signs.
    Well then, you ought to call DPW right away and inform them. Something that is obviously so awry should not be allowed to persist.

Michigan Guest

I see what you are saying. It might be that someone has "removed" the new ones and rehung the old. I'll bet that there is some scrap value to the new ones.

Maybe they took the old FHWA font street sign and added a white border [[like on the Clearview font signs). Very very cheap! Way to gow DPW!

EDIT
    Here are some other pictures taken during me taking advantage of "April in the D" [[it's not just a sports thing you know!)

Another cheapie: A Cobra Head light mounted on a Pineapple post at Gratiot and Pennsylvania.

Self explanitory...

Another cheap "Cobra light on Pineapple pole" example on Gratiot. Note the intresting thing near where the "cobra head" is mounted, that used to mount the wires for the PCC cars back in the 50's.
    Last edited by mtburb; April-21-10 at 08:22 PM.

Retroit Guest

So, in other words, they are using an old font with a new border?

What is the significance of the new buses: are they hybrid?

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    So, in other words, they are using an old font with a new border?

What is the significance of the new buses: are they hybrid?
    First, looks like it to me.

Second, no.

On the topic of DDOT, the C40LF was a typo. They are D40LF's.

Retroit Guest

Okay, I figured it out. When you said they were "New Flyer" buses, I thought you meant they were new "Flyer" buses. But in fact these are the same buses that have been in service for 20 years.

To answer your question - yes. Detroit has [[not sure if they still do) taken signs and recovered or re-lettered them after they've been removed from service. Most cities will re-use the signs and just put another name and a new reflective covering on them. Detroit appears to be using a different font in the clearview family now and these signs also have the new reflective background that is now a federal mandate. You will also see other cities/counties start to use signs with this reflective background, which supposedly has better contrast for night driving and is more visible.

I have some of the old white with black letter signs and one was recovered with a new name and new background [[Hardyke to Orangelawn).

Still confused. Oh well, who really cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    To answer your question - yes. Detroit has [[not sure if they still do) taken signs and recovered or re-lettered them after they've been removed from service. Most cities will re-use the signs and just put another name and a new reflective covering on them. Detroit appears to be using a different font in the clearview family now and these signs also have the new reflective background that is now a federal mandate. You will also see other cities/counties start to use signs with this reflective background, which supposedly has better contrast for night driving and is more visible.

I have some of the old white with black letter signs and one was recovered with a new name and new background [[Hardyke to Orangelawn).
    Where on Orangelawn did they place the recovered sign?

Where on Orangelawn did they place the recovered sign?
    Not sure. I bought these well after they were taken out of service. I have
    BIRWOOD
    CURTIS
    MARGARETA
    CLARITA
    HARDYKE
    PICKFORD

I know the bus signs are new, I saw a crew on Van Dyke last week going up and down the street replacing them.