Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bike racks on ddot buses!

As I mounted my Schwinn Continental steed this morning, the Chene bus approached me and I saw something I had never seen before. Were my eyes deceiving me, or was it a bike rack on what looked to be a brand new ddot bus? Now I know most of the smart buses have racks, but this this is the first time I've seen a ddot bus with one. Has anyone else seen this?

I noticed that maybe last week on a bus. I saw someone taking a bike off of it!

They're finally getting around to it! Huzzah!

Nice, just in time for summer, too. Tigershark must have lit a fire under the seats.

I wouldn't get all excited just yet, as not all DDOT buses have the bike racks installed, and you can't rely on there being a bus with one, especially on the infrequent routes. DDOT says they have more important things to do, but I think this is pretty important because it enhances the service to the people. You can get around fast and further with a bike than just on foot, and with so many people in Detroit without reliable access to a vehicle, bikes can be an important form of transportation. So while I applaud DDOT for finally putting the bike racks on, I think they could do if faster and not undercut its importance [[however I do realized the the system is strapped for cash, and bing already made drastic cuts).

DDOT's entire order of new buses have factory mounted bike racks... about 20 or so on the road so far...http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSR-2-...unt=20&dir=asc

I'm glad this is finally making it to Detroit, now if they could have more bike lock up places [[other than street signs along Woodward, Gratiot, Jefferson...they might have a start at some form of alternative transport and rebuilding a non car [[mandatory) oriented society/economy.

You mounted your steed?

Quote Originally Posted by DueNorth View Post
    As I mounted my Schwinn Continental steed this morning, the Chene bus approached me and I saw something I had never seen before. Were my eyes deceiving me, or was it a bike rack on what looked to be a brand new ddot bus? Now I know most of the smart buses have racks, but this this is the first time I've seen a ddot bus with one. Has anyone else seen this?
    Your eyes were not deceiving you. DDOT has fifty new New Flyer D40LF coaches equipped with bike racks currently being placed into service. The first ones went into service this past Monday afternoon on lines serviced by the Coolidge Terminal.

I'm sure what your eyes encountered looked something like this...
    http://detroittransithistory.info/DD0T-1012_011-tg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Nice, just in time for summer, too. Tigershark must have lit a fire under the seats.
    You could probably say that. But l have to tell you, they are really acting slow with it. I can attest to this, you'll have a better chance of seeing a SMART bus with a bike rack than a DDOT one at the current moment, although we'll probably see more DDOT buses with bike racks by Memorial Day weekend.

We still need to continue to shout to the city officials. That's the only way that they will listen.

About half of DDOT's buses now have bicycle racks. DDOT expects all of their buses to have racks by the first quarter of 2011.

More details at:
    http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2010/11/1...-bike-shorts-3

Meanwhile, real needs go unmet.

What a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

What a waste of money.
    Actually this is a very cost effective way to attract new riders and expand the service area of bus routes. New riders mean less seats go unfilled and increases the farebox revenue, meaning a better leveredge of federal dollars. Highway dollars paid for 80 percent of this through the Enhancement Program. Now I suppose the money could have gone for widening a road, though it would not widen much road. Personally I'd rather see the funding go towards roadway preservation, but I would put bike racks on buses before widening roads that are only somewhat congested two hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

What a waste of money.
    Not as much of a waste as that space between your ears.

Living on the lower east side and being a WSU student I would consider taking the bus but lack of bike racks have stopped me from doing that. Hopefully we'll get them sooner than later otherwise it looks like another semester of me driving to Midtown.

I have been noticing some bike racks now have what looks to be a solar panel on the front? Can anyone tell me what this is for?

Is there a bus from Detroit to Windsor that has bike racks?

ask Transit Windsor

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    Is there a bus from Detroit to Windsor that has bike racks?
    skyl4rk......this is a cut n paste from Transit Windsor

Bikes: Due to licensing regulations, bike racks cannot be deployed during Tunnel Bus services, including transportation to Comerica Park or Ford Field. You may disassemble your bike and board the bus with it in a bike bag. Note: If the bus is full, bringing the bike bag on board is allowed only at the discretion of the driver.

A "bike bag"? Huh, sounds like a bitch. But I guess ultimatly....yes, you can bring a bike over...but it has to go thru customs with you. I wonder if you'd need proof you didn't buy it here?

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I noticed that maybe last week on a bus. I saw someone taking a bike off of it!
    Unfortunately, it wasn't his.

Quote Originally Posted by ray1936 View Post
    unfortunately, it wasn't his.

...............zing!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Bikes: Due to licensing regulations, bike racks cannot be deployed during Tunnel Bus services
    I suppose the Tunnel prohibits one vehicle carrying another vehicle?

Is there a ferry that takes bikes?

I'm trying to plan a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Unfortunately, it wasn't his.
    Yes, the bike racks have arrived just in time for Detroiters to find bikes for their kid's Christmas presents.

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    I suppose the Tunnel prohibits one vehicle carrying another vehicle?

Is there a ferry that takes bikes?

I'm trying to plan a trip.

I don't know why the bus won't carry bikes thru the tunnel.....hmmm. Maybe with the rack deployed it takes up too much room? Can't fit thru the curve on the Detroit side??? Interesting. Actually, I think you have to take your bike to the Customs officer with you when you get off the bus, and the nose of the bus stops juuuuust past the gate into the Customs office...so you wouldn't be able to access your bike on the front of it.

Currently, there are no cross border ferries aside from the truck ferry. I think your only option is this bike bag thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    I don't know why the bus won't carry bikes thru the tunnel.....hmmm. Maybe with the rack deployed it takes up too much room? Can't fit thru the curve on the Detroit side??? Interesting. Actually, I think you have to take your bike to the Customs officer with you when you get off the bus, and the nose of the bus stops juuuuust past the gate into the Customs office...so you wouldn't be able to access your bike on the front of it.

Currently, there are no cross border ferries aside from the truck ferry. I think your only option is this bike bag thing.
    I sense a lawsuit. Bikes are legally entitled to roads with the exception of freeways. Since neither the bridge or the tunnel qualify as a freeway you should be legally allowed to roll up to a toll both, pay your toll, and cross like any other vehicle. [[Bikes are vehicles under state law and must follow Michigan Vehicular codes or face the same punishment as motorist[[for example: you can get a DUI on a bicycle)).

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    I sense a lawsuit. Bikes are legally entitled to roads with the exception of freeways. Since neither the bridge or the tunnel qualify as a freeway you should be legally allowed to roll up to a toll both, pay your toll, and cross like any other vehicle. [[Bikes are vehicles under state law and must follow Michigan Vehicular codes or face the same punishment as motorist[[for example: you can get a DUI on a bicycle)).
    True, but would these be considered controlled access roadways? If that's the case then people are S.O.L. The Bridge should definitly allow bikes and people back on the sidewalk, but the tunnel has no room for a bike lane. I know we're supposed to ride on the road and act like a car, but when traffic gets moving in the tunnel, you won't be able to keep up and then you get killed, or delay cross border movement severly since there's no wiggle room to get around you. Plus cyclist weave around all over the place, with the lack of space in the tunnel a cyclists would get clipped by vehicles left right and center. Not to mention all the fumes being blown directly in your face. At least in a car you can roll up the window.

The only real solutions are re-open the bridge to pedestrians, a new pedestrian ferry between the cities, or you try and talk the truck ferry operator into taking you over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast