Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default East Detroit Schools Pink Slip Once Again!

With the recent pink-slipping of countless amazing veteran teachers at East Detroit High School, one must ask: Since there are too many students, but not enough teachers [[teachers being the core product - because, well, they actually teach and educate the students - and that being the primary purpose of a public education) - Why are there 3 Six-Figure Earning Assistant Principals in a declining school when there are simply not enough teachers for the min. amount of students?

The salary of one Non-Educating, Non-Disciplining, Paper Pushing Vice Principal alone could fund the salaries of 2 high-performing & experienced teachers?

Call me crazy, but my high school had 1 Principal & 1 Vice Principal - it sufficed - although, my former school also didn't cram 35 students into a taxpayer funded classroom and expect an already overworked and underpaid teacher to raise the bar, while "salaried admins" sipped coffee and trotted off to meetings in their district-paid vehicles! Give me a break.

How about we trim from the top and keep some teachers around. There's no need to even get into how the guy who runs "maintenance" doubled his salary last year to a near six figures! Let's just say this further pink-slipping shows the incompetence of the East Detroit administration, the very ignorant & self-loving School Board, and non-existent public voice at large…

Get teachers back in the classroom! There's fat to cut elsewhere...

every school system in michigan is doing this, and it has nothing to do with class sizes. it is an employment holocaust. they are robbing every last penny from these systems, and the agenda is simple: PRIVATIZE

it is all union busting. why no bail out for schools ? why hasnt anyone even asked for help from the federal government ?

Retroit Guest

Agreed. Or shall I say "uh...greed!" There is a history of greed, corruption and mismanagement in the East Detroit School System. Maybe they figure there is little likelihood that someone with the integrity of Veronica Klinefelt will call them out on it. Too many people go into education for the security of a government desk job without any desire to help children learn. Shame on them. Maybe the corruption in Detroit is contagious.

I'd encourage you to voice your opinion at the school board meetings.

On the bright side, the Gardiner Administration Building is getting their huge parking lot repaved [[for the handful of cars that park there!)

Chuck_MI Guest

They shoulda changed to Eastpointe Public Schools back when the city changed it's name.

Retroit Guest

Maybe they wanted to preserve their association with Detroit.

Everyone knows that Wall Street is more important than education.

Just ask India. They had a 20 yr plan to turn all their kids into engineers with Masters degrees. Didn't work for them, did it?