Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SE Oakland County Pizza - Opinions?

All right, now that my personal favorite, Rallo's, is out of business [[they were in Royal Oak, carry-out only, and made an incredible square pizza), I'm looking for recommendations on superior, non-chain pizza in southeast Oakland County.

I'm not impressed by Green Lantern, so that's out. Has anyone tried Uncle Andy's in Berkley? Any other suggestions [[yeah, I know, Loui's is in Hazel Park, but that's way east, almost in Macomb County... I'm trying to stay closer to home and within a quicker delivery/pickup area)?

I want something on par with the original Buddy's, Cloverleaf, etc.

Two Guys from Italy is an option. Green Lantern is better than them though. Tania's also in Royal Oak has great stuffed. Uncle Andy's and Benitos are both gross don't waste your money on them.

But Louis' is worth the drive. Far better antipasto and pizza than Buddys.

Don't have any suggestions. Just wanted to say I miss the great deep dish pizza at the 8Wood Inn.

If you don't like Green Lantern, I can't help you, but did you go to the one in Madison Heights? People say it is better than the one in Royal Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    If you don't like Green Lantern, I can't help you, but did you go to the one in Madison Heights? People say it is better than the one in Royal Oak.
    Usually I get it from the one on Rochester in Royal Oak. I just can't tell the difference.

I will speak for several people when I say the pizza at Green Lantern-Madison Heights is way better than the pizza at the one in R.O.

Agreed on Loui's and Green Lantern. Yum. I've also heard good things about Amici's in Berkley, Barb's in Clawson, Pizza Connection and Gino's in Hazel Park, Pasquale's and Two Guys from Italy in Royal Oak. Some people claim to like Como's in Ferndale, but I think of that place as more of a hangout than an eatery. I've also heard good things about Primo's in Oak Park and the Stop Spot in Ferndale -- and, speaking of Ferndale, is it true that Strawberry Moon Bakery makes pies too?

Yeah, Two Guys makes a good pie and the value is pretty good there too. I enjoy Green Lantern, but Two Guys is closer and well... Primo's had a place in RO on Campbell [[now the closed name I can't remember) and that was pretty darn good years ago. Amici's is great in Berkley, but it's always packed and the pie is very good but not cheap. I've had good luck with Tania's too, but again, further away and not the cheapest. Uncle Andy's isn't bad, and they support my daughter's school [[through the PTA), so I hit that place up from time to time. Not the greatest, but far from the worst pizza I've ever had. Buddy's on Woodward is still pretty good, but it's been a while since I've been there. Same deal with Pasquale's.

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I will try Two Guys From Italy, and maybe Amici's and Pasquale's.

I have tried Tania's and it's decent, but not quite what I'm looking for.

I guess I could pick up a pizza from Loui's if I'm on my way home from work, but otherwise, it's out of my way. I agree though, Loui's is excellent.

Try Tomatoes A'Pizza at 14 mile and Middlebelt.
    www.tomatoesapizza.com

Amici's or the Madison Heights Green Lantern, Pasquale's is good but from what I renumber it took a long time to get it. Uncle Andy's is like a Little Caesar's type pizza but tastes a better. I haven't yet tried JJ Fatts pizza but my neighbor said it was pretty good.

Gracie See on Greenfield by Warren has great pizza

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    Gracie See on Greenfield by Warren has great pizza
    Ummm, hey, thanks for the suggestions, but you're naming places way out of the southeast Oakland County area. I'm talking Royal Oak, Madison Heights, Berkley, Oak Park, Ferndale, Clawson.

Quote Originally Posted by bsu View Post
    Amici's or the Madison Heights Green Lantern, Pasquale's is good but from what I renumber it took a long time to get it. Uncle Andy's is like a Little Caesar's type pizza but tastes a better. I haven't yet tried JJ Fatts pizza but my neighbor said it was pretty good.
    Amici's seems to get a lot of high marks. I've tried both the RO and MH Green Lantern pizzas, and yeah, maybe the MH one is a little better. But it's no Buddy's or Rallo's.

Shields, another one that gets mentioned a lot, is hit or miss. Sometimes it's very good, sometimes it's barely passable.

Just to reiterate, I'm keying on classic Detroit-style square pizza here, not round or thin-crust.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Ummm, hey, thanks for the suggestions, but you're naming places way out of the southeast Oakland County area. I'm talking Royal Oak, Madison Heights, Berkley, Oak Park, Ferndale, Clawson.
    I'm sorry--I got kind of carried away.

Green Lantern in MH

Voting for Green Lantern, from what I recall RO is the only location that serves the square deep dish. MH just did the round deep dish.

As for downtown Niki's is my favorite.

Amici's seems to get a lot of high marks. I've tried both the RO and MH Green Lantern pizzas, and yeah, maybe the MH one is a little better. But it's no Buddy's or Rallo's.

Shields, another one that gets mentioned a lot, is hit or miss. Sometimes it's very good, sometimes it's barely passable.

Just to reiterate, I'm keying on classic Detroit-style square pizza here, not round or thin-crust.
    I'd say just suck it up and go for Louis'

The only ones in my neck of the woods around here I can critique are the only three I've been to so far : Como's- not too bad. The Stop Spot Bar- actually pretty decent. Green Lantern- nothing special & overrated. I need to get out and sample some more pizza joints, I guess. The search continues.

I grew up on the east side so I'm familiar with Cloverleaf. I highly recommend that you try Cottage Inn Goumet Pizza on 11mile Rd just East of John R. It's similar to Cloverleaf and it is in your area. I accepted a position in St Louis, MO. The locals tell me that I have to try IMO Pizza which has a cracker thin crust, cream and ham. Similar to what I have had in Europe. Thanks for letting me reminice about my home town and get rid of my home sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    I grew up on the east side so I'm familiar with Cloverleaf. I highly recommend that you try Cottage Inn Goumet Pizza on 11mile Rd just East of John R. It's similar to Cloverleaf and it is in your area. I accepted a position in St Louis, MO. The locals tell me that I have to try IMO Pizza which has a cracker thin crust, cream and ham. Similar to what I have had in Europe. Thanks for letting me reminice about my home town and get rid of my home sickness.
    Sorry... Cottage Inn used to be good before the chain expanded... it's terrible now.

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    The locals tell me that I have to try IMO Pizza which has a cracker thin crust, cream and ham. Similar to what I have had in Europe. Thanks for letting me reminice about my home town and get rid of my home sickness.
    I stopped at an Imo's in St. Louis while driving cross-country 20 years ago. It was one of the most disgusting things I've ever eaten. Imagine eating saltines covered with Campbell's tomato soup concentrate. Absolutely horrid.

Como's is okay but nothing to write home about.

Louis' Pizza is very good, so is The Gathering Place's pizza at 17 mile rd. and John R.

Louies near the hazel park race track has great pizza, along with a place called Peperoni Grill on Mack Ave in St. Clair Shores between 8 and 9 mile.

Don't forget Dominos if you like Catchup as Pizza sauce!

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    Louis' Pizza is very good, so is The Gathering Place's pizza at 17 mile rd. and John R.
    The GP has pretty good square pizza but when it comes down to it Buddy's has better square pizza. Worth a try if you never have had it though.

Sorry... Cottage Inn used to be good before the chain expanded... it's terrible now.
    +1
    tried it recently and instantly regretted it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast