Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default U of M transfers ownership of The Henry Ford Estate

Overall looks like good news. I am a little worried about how often the home will be open to the public, however.

http://www.fordhouse.org/News.html?63

From all my dealings with the Eleanor & Edsel For House, I am not worried at all about the Ford House in Dearborn now being in loving and caring hands.

Over the last 8 years I've taken 1/2 dozen European tour buses full of [[mostly) German and Hungarian visitors [[mainly ethnic dance groups on tour of the USA) thru the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House.

I have always been very impressed with their care of the estate, the way they built a visitor center far out of site of the main house, the pristine maintenance of the grounds [[especially with the Emerald Ash Borer's killing many of the Ash trees on the property), and the wonderful docents that they use on a daily basis to keep that treasure in immaculate condition.

The visitors center was purposefully built hidden [[with a parking lot for cars/buses) behind a dense canopy of trees far and out of view of the main house and grounds. The center includes a restaurant, gift shop, picnicing areas outdoors as well as under a large white tent attached to the visitors center. They also have an auditorium that continuously shows a movie about the history of Edsel & Eleanor Ford & family. They also provide free shuttle services between the main house and visitors center so that auto traffic is kept away from the main house and grounds. The grounds have been immaculately kept up, including the tending of the Rose Garden, the Dody Ford [[3/4 scale) playhouse, the carriage house [[with the Ford's historic personal autos), all for the viewing pleasure of the paying public. All in all they have been a world class organization that receives frequent visits from Ford family members.

My only visit ever to the Henry Ford house about 10 years ago was a disappointment... somewhat shabby home interiors and grounds.

I know that in the hands of the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House Trust... the Henry Ford estate will be brought up to their standards, and regularly scheduled visits will very likely take place, once restoration and reconfiguration of the estate takes place during the closed period.

All in all this is a win-win for the legacy of Henry & Clara Ford.

This is fantastic news. The difference is the Edsel & Elanor Ford house is run by a trust, created by Elanor Ford, to maintain it and keep it in good shape for the public.

After Henry Ford died, his family didn't really want the house, so it was stripped of it's furniture and left to rot for a few years before Ford bought it and used it as storage. Finally it was donated to U of M, which fixed it up nicely, then barely maintained it for the rest of it's life.

It's better to have a dedicated organization maintain it than a university, who probably has a hundred other priorities than maintaining an old house.

LDoolan Guest

I think this is outstanding news. U of M still uses several of the rooms for meetings and so forth, maybe after this is all said & done it won't have "the feel of a faculty lounge" as another Ford historian wrote.

Last time I visited the estate was in 2003, and it showed some signs of disrepair.
    Keep in mind Eleanor Ford left a $15 million endowment to keep her mansion maintained, where as Ford Motor did not.

When Ford Motor Company owned Fairlane, they housed the Ford Archives there for a while and in the process 'commercialized' alot of the rooms. Henry & Clara's bedroom served as the oral history room, the Field room was converted into storage, the bowling alley served as a storage area for publications.

I'm curious if the Servant cottages and pony barn are included with deal?

I don't think they are there anymore, LDoolan.

Stromberg2

LDoolan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post

Stromberg2
    The Servant cottages were being used as a Daycare and offices.

If they tore them down, that's a bit odd!
    Here's a photo of them from Bing maps.

Maybe the Ford Foundation can finally pony up some bucks here in Michigan to help with the restoration of Fairlane... but I won't hold my breath...

Criticizing the Ford Foundation for turning their back on Michigan is the only thing that State Attorney General Mike Cox ever did that I agree with....

You are right LDoolan, I didn't know they were the cottages. Thanks!

Stromberg2

I wonder if they will rebuild some of the structures that were torn down, like the ice skate house.

Stromberg2

LDoolan Guest

Gistok,

I think the Ford foundation gave some money in the past, but I doubt they will in the future, their whole MO seems to have changed.

When Ford Bryan died, noted Ford author- he gave $250K for the estate, I think it went towards fixing the roof.

They need to open the top floor of the powerhouse and restore it as it was back when Henry Ford used it as his personal 'tinkering room'

LDoolan Guest

You are right LDoolan, I didn't know they were the cottages. Thanks!

Stromberg2
    The cottage at the top of the picture is where Henry Ford had his very last breakfast, consisting of oatmeal, bacon, prunes, toast and coffee. That's where his chauffeur Rankin lived.

It would be nice if the cottages and horse barn went with the estate. I think the cottages would make a marvelous little bed and breakfast, perhaps for folks in town for the Motor Company or university. Just my little pipe dream.

Stromberg2
    I work at UM-Dearborn. The cottages and Pony Barn are still there. In fact, I operated my bird research out of the Pony Barn for over ten years. I've not heard whether these buildings are part of the deal [[and will check), but I would guess not. The press I've read refer only to "the residence," the cottages are used by the University, and the buildings are far enough away from the Estate that it would be hard to disengage them from the campus.

Someone wondered about whether the ice house or those types of buildings [[e.g., maple sugar shack) would be rebuilt. I seriously doubt this. The original locations are in the campus environmental study area, which is heavily used for education and research. Plus, no good way to prevent vandalism in those areas. It's hard enough to prevent in the more public areas of the grounds.

The University wasn't and isn't in the best position to maintain Fair Lane Estate, not only from a financial point of view, but practical or logistical either.

Per their 2009 Form 990 filed with the IRS, the Eleanor and Edsel Ford House had assets of $85,500,501, down from their 2008 Form 990 which listed assets of $102,197,412.

They'll be able to pay the bills.

I recently bought a membership at the Eleanor & Edsel Ford House. I didn’t even know it was there until I searched on line for places in Detroit to take my grandchildren to see. I took my family there for lunch on Easter. We had a great time. We toured the home and the grounds; it was beautiful. My membership includes access to the grounds from 7am to 7pm every day, and free tours for my family for the whole year. I intend to go there to do some writing this summer. I highly recommend it. Another one of Detroit’s landmark’s preserved for future generations. Thanks Eleanor