Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 67 Riots Properties

I lived two blocks north of 8 Mile during the riots and although I moved out of state that fall, I've always been interested in the history of the riots.

I recently came across a list of those killed during the 1967 riots, with specific addresses. I looked up each address on Google and Bing's maps to see the locations today.

It was VERY interesting! With the exception of two apartment bldgs, both of which are now boarded up, EVERY location is now a vacant lot! It just hit me as weird that after over 40 years nothing had been built on those sites.

I know that the City of Detroit took over the land where the Algiers Motel was, rerouted the side street and made a park there. It's almost like the city took over all of the properties and has never done anything with them. Does anyone have any info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by rodj44137 View Post
    I lived two blocks north of 8 Mile during the riots and although I moved out of state that fall, I've always been interested in the history of the riots.

I recently came across a list of those killed during the 1967 riots, with specific addresses. I looked up each address on Google and Bing's maps to see the locations today....

I know that the City of Detroit took over the land where the Algiers Motel was, rerouted the side street and made a park there. It's almost like the city took over all of the properties and has never done anything with them. Does anyone have any info on this?
    So you're saying that private houses where people killed in the riot/rebellion simply lived are all gone? As distinct from houses, like the Algiers, that were the site of violence during those days?

Yes, every address of a house, or store, or whatever [[except the two apartment bldgs) where someone was killed is now a vacant lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    So you're saying that private houses where people killed in the riot/rebellion simply lived are all gone? As distinct from houses, like the Algiers, that were the site of violence during those days?
    ...as has been the fate of countless other homes and businesses in Detroit, without even a thought as to whether or not they or their owners or occupants even existed at the time of the riots.

In case you didn't notice on your virtual tour, there are many thousands of vacant lots where houses and stores once stood, most of which were in no way connected to the summer of '67.

Yes, I know there are thousands of vacant lots, but I still think its a funny coincidence that every one of those is vacant, even sites that were things like an A&P grocery store. It was just a thought!

For anyone who is interested, I previously plotted out these locations on Bing maps. It is mostly complete, but there are a few omissions where the location was not clear in my sources.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=42.419999999999995~-82.90000000000003&lvl=4&sty=r&cid=3955189678A63F7D !198

LL Cool D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rodj44137 View Post
    Yes, I know there are thousands of vacant lots, but I still think its a funny coincidence that every one of those is vacant, even sites that were things like an A&P grocery store. It was just a thought!
    Let's run with it, rodj, you've made it to 29 posts, that's got to be worth something, maybe a free car wash, or a free round of Putt-Putt Golf. You've already scoured-up the data, and know your way around Google Earth, the next step is to put those push-pins at each location, do a screen-dump, then post the map.

Once we see the locations of these houses, maybe the DYes brain-trust [[smarter people than me), could put together a plausible back-story.

Addendum: Well milt, great minds think alike, some just think, and type, faster.
    Last edited by LL Cool D; April-19-10 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    For anyone who is interested, I previously plotted out these locations on Bing maps. It is mostly complete, but there are a few omissions where the location was not clear in my sources.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=42.419999999999995~-82.90000000000003&lvl=4&sty=r&cid=3955189678A63F7D !198
    I checked out your map and I want say that my mother was in the flat where no. 25 Tanya Blanding was killed. The description of events is similar to what my mother told us about that night. She described how the National Guard ordered everyone out of the flat and lay on their stomaches in the street.

Milt721: Bravo. Interesting map. Hope you finish it.
    I know both papers did similar maps shortly after the riot. The News published a long list of every building and house in which there was a fire. [[I've seen those things in the years since the riot. I'm sure they're in the riot files at the Burton.)

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post

Is this proof of being able to travel to the future here? Shugar grabbed a shotgun from his 69 Oldsmobile in 1967. Number 13 on this list.

Nathaniel Edmonds

A 23-year-old African-American male, died at 4:20 pm on 7/24/67 from gunshots fired by Richard Shugar, a 24-year-old white male. Edmonds was sitting his backyard at 7714 Harper when a car driven by Shugar passed by. Shugar accused Edmonds of breaking into his store. When Edmonds denied the allegation, an argument ensued. Shugar went to the trunk of the 1969 red Oldsmobile and grabbed a shotgun, which he then used to shoot Edmondson in his chest. Shugar was charged with first-degree murder.

If you are that interested in the riot victims check out the book " Nightmare in Detroit " by Van Gordon Sauter and Burleigh Hines. This book gives a brief history of each victim and the circumstances in which they died. You should be able to get it at the library.

LL Cool D Guest

Engine 51: "Rampart, we have a middle-aged thread with no vital signs, over."

Rampart: "10-4 Engine 51, apply defibrillation, over."

Engine 51: "10-4 Rampart, over."

Engine 51: "Rampart, we have a pulse, over."

Rampart: "10-4 Engine 51, if patient is conscious, ask what happened to those damned houses, over."

Engine 51: "10-4 Rampart, patient is conscious, over."

Engine 51: "Rampart, patient says houses were owned by rioters shot in riot. Bank tried to sell houses to live people, but after white flight, better houses became available, so rioters' houses just sat, empty, then got tore down, over."

Rampart: "10-4 Engine 51, okee-dokee, over and out."

Roger Wilco, LL Cool D.
    Thanks
    Over and Out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    Is this proof of being able to travel to the future here? Shugar grabbed a shotgun from his 69 Oldsmobile in 1967. Number 13 on this list.

Nathaniel Edmonds

A 23-year-old African-American male, died at 4:20 pm on 7/24/67 from gunshots fired by Richard Shugar, a 24-year-old white male. Edmonds was sitting his backyard at 7714 Harper when a car driven by Shugar passed by. Shugar accused Edmonds of breaking into his store. When Edmonds denied the allegation, an argument ensued. Shugar went to the trunk of the 1969 red Oldsmobile and grabbed a shotgun, which he then used to shoot Edmondson in his chest. Shugar was charged with first-degree murder.
    Lol, a 1969 Oldsmobile in 1967. He must have been kin to a GM Executive.

The starting point of the 1967 violence now has the name Gordon Park. For whom was this park named? I seem to remember is was named for a
    Detroit soldier who was killed in World War I. Is that correct?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    For whom was this park named?
    i could be wrong [[ just ask my wife ), but i think Thomas Gordon was the name of the returning Viet Nam vet that the party in the blind pig was for.

I'm sure this horse's corpse has been kicked more than a few times, but a family friend growing up who was in the NG during the riots always insisted that scores more people were killed than ultimately reported and documented.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    I'm sure this horse's corpse has been kicked more than a few times, but a family friend growing up who was in the NG during the riots always insisted that scores more people were killed than ultimately reported and documented.
    I mean this is possible. Around that time there was around 1.6 million people in Detroit. Whose to say a few didn't just completely vanish around that time. Completely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    I mean this is possible. Around that time there was around 1.6 million people in Detroit. Whose to say a few didn't just completely vanish around that time. Completely possible.
    https://www.wxyz.com/news/detroit196...the-1967-riots

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Okay. I read this earlier today before you linked it lol But not sure what that had to do with my comment lol

I was too young to remember the riot. Last year I had wished that some of the bloggers on DYES were put on the numerous of panel discussions with their recollections of the riot instead of the hand picked persons that sat on the panels last year

The official total stands at 40 something. The story as it was related to me by PD and FD people on the scenes .... 'if there were 40, there were 400'.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The official total stands at 40 something. The story as it was related to me by PD and FD people on the scenes .... 'if there were 40, there were 400'.
    I was in the thick of it with DPD. I don't recall anything much over the reported data. But time mists history, doesn't it?

Apartment building were mentioned in the OP. I would say that about 70% of the apartment buildings in the city in 1967 have been demolished or are now not operating. And I believe that to be a conservative estimate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast