Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Retroit Guest

Default Dateline NBC Special on Detroit

Tonight at 7:00 p.m. on Channel 4, if anyone is interested.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/23173756/detail.html

Oh yeah, I heard about this recently. Definately going to watch it.

Watching right now...

I totally just double posted, sorry about that.

I didn't know about the raccoon trapping and hunting, but folks I know have been doing this with rabbits, pheasants, and opossum as long as I can remember. My male relatives also went hunting and fishing, just like many other Michiganders who worked in the plants. I feel that it's more of a Michigan thing than anything else.

But it's yet another reason to make us look weird in the eyes of the nation... the message is that "times are so hard in Detroit that they have to hunt and farm all their food." Sigh...

watching and "ti-voing"

Oh man, they are playing "The Fall"
    Chris Hansen know about The Wire...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I didn't know about the raccoon trapping and hunting, but folks I know have been doing this with rabbits, pheasants, and opossum as long as I can remember. My male relatives also went hunting and fishing, just like many other Michiganders who worked in the plants. I feel that it's more of a Michigan thing than anything else.

But it's yet another reason to make us look weird in the eyes of the nation... the message is that "times are so hard in Detroit that they have to hunt and farm all their food." Sigh...
    Hunting is not just a Michigan thing and the guy hunts outside the city limits then brings it back.

As far as making Detroit look bad, I've lived in Washington Hgts. in NYC, Chicago and comparatively Detroit is a war zone.

But on a positive note I heard Campus Martius was named Urban park of the year? I read the link so I guess yes.

I assume that most of the footage is shot on the East side
    Last edited by tallboy66; April-18-10 at 06:33 PM.

I tell people that I am glad that I am not a teenager in this day and age. It's hell being out in these streets especially when there is no money out there to get unless you are willing to knock someone over the head to get it.

I'm glad I was NEVER a teenager in Detroit it's been bad since the 70's and no end in site.

Remember these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Boys_Inc. sent a video tape to the police! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    I'm glad I was NEVER a teenager in Detroit it's been bad since the 70's and no end in site.

Remember these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Boys_Inc. sent a video tape to the police! LOL.
    Man, you must have been shaking in fear of Detroiters. What? Black folk give you nightmares?

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    As far as making Detroit look bad, I've lived in Washington Hgts. in NYC, Chicago and comparatively Detroit is a war zone.
    The special is mainly following one family and purports to be about the whole city. Why not call the special "Raising Kids in Today's Detroit?" I think my frustration, and the frustration of thousands of other Detroiters, is that the Herculean efforts of some Detroiters are always ignored. The one nonprofit organization we've seen thus far is run by a "suburban mom." Kudos to her, but reports like this make it seem as if there are no Detroiters who are self-reliant, responsible, and working against horrific odds to make the city better.

They get no press and no ink, and it shows that the media doesn't follow their own standards. What we are seeing tonight is the media's equivalent of "dog bites man." Is there a person with access to news sources on the planet who doesn't know that Detroit has issues with violence, blight, schools, retail, and unemployment? Who doesn't know that the city government is corrupt? That there is a kleptocracy? Where is the news here?

What would be new is the "man bites dog" story. What is going on in Detroit that people don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Man, you must have been shaking in fear of Detroiters. What? Black folk give you nightmares?
    No ha,ha but the 80's were not really the best times in Detroit either, it had some momentum going in the 90's when I lived there too bad it didn't last.

And I'm thankful for the experience of living in the city, making a few friends and dating a few fine women.

While nearly everything in the special was factually correct to one extent or another, Chris Hansen claimed there were no grocery stores in Detroit expect Aldi & Save-A-Lot. I guess he failed to hear about the numerous Arab-owned markets throughout the city.

detroitjim Guest

A noble attempt by NBC to give hope to the hopeless, in a nearly impossible situation.
    Ok! now lets hear from those who received their free pair of rose colored glasses.

Well well, isn't this a surprise. A "Look-How-Shitty-Detroit-Is" hit piece. Very rare indeed. You hardly ever see those. And it's narrated by a former "Detroiter" from Birmingham [[!) who presented this because he's so concerned over the dire condition of his old "home town" that he left over 20 years ago for greener pastures. It's all so touching I gotta sign off, I'm getting choked up.

The special is mainly following one family and purports to be about the whole city. Why not call the special "Raising Kids in Today's Detroit?" I think my frustration, and the frustration of thousands of other Detroiters, is that the Herculean efforts of some Detroiters are always ignored. The one nonprofit organization we've seen thus far is run by a "suburban mom." Kudos to her, but reports like this make it seem as if there are no Detroiters who are self-reliant, responsible, and working against horrific odds to make the city better.

They get no press and no ink, and it shows that the media doesn't follow their own standards. What we are seeing tonight is the media's equivalent of "dog bites man." Is there a person with access to news sources on the planet who doesn't know that Detroit has issues with violence, blight, schools, retail, and unemployment? Who doesn't know that the city government is corrupt? That there is a kleptocracy? Where is the news here?

What would be new is the "man bites dog" story. What is going on in Detroit that people don't know about?

You would really be surprised about how many people don't know about the situation of Detroit. I have made a thread on the main forum that I belong to, and it has already ballooned to twelve pages.
    People just don't understand what Detroit is going through right now.

That's true. They did redo Cass Tech, and have made the whole area from John R. to the Lodge a little better I haven't been there in 10 years but they did a special a few years ago when Kwame was elected I should find that tape and see.

And one must admit we would need a entire week [[non-stop) of media air-time to discuss all of the problems Detroit has. They did load quite a bit into a one-hour documentary, so you have to give them credit for that...

grew up and lived in detroit through the mid 1970's uh, the show didn't tell me anything i didn't already know. guess they just wanted to pass it along to the rest of the world.

Retroit Guest

If the national media have a special on Detroit, people complain that they are portraying the city in a bad light.
    If the national media never mention Detroit, people complain that problems in Detroit are being ignored.

LOL.

Michigan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    If the national media have a special on Detroit, people complain that they are portraying the city in a bad light.
    If the national media never mention Detroit, people complain that problems in Detroit are being ignored.

LOL.

Thank you for seeing the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

LOL.
    Pretty much. Ya can't win for losing.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast