Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: DPD history

Default DPD history

Check out this facebook page for some history on the Detroit Police Department and some old pictures of precincts.

http://www.facebook.com/detroitpolice#!/detroitpolice

I joined it.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor48 View Post
    How many Remember the Big 4 in Detroit ?
    There was No Crime Nor any thugs that intimidated them
    As I understand it, that's because they WERE thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Make my day, punk!
    No trial, no reports to file.............

I worked #2 cruiser for six months. I loved it because I could be a thug. I only came on the job so I could beat up innocent people.

Thank you for your rememberance, Detroitnerd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I worked #2 cruiser for six months. I loved it because I could be a thug. I only came on the job so I could beat up innocent people.

Thank you for your rememberance, Detroitnerd.
    Apologies, Ray, I was thinking of STRESS, not the Big Four.

Apologies, Ray, I was thinking of STRESS, not the Big Four.
    No prob. Sometimes I get grumpy in my old age.

I remember hearing about Big Four, but can't rememer seeing any. When did they disband them? We need something like that today [[no, not STRESS).

Historical Facts:
    1) used to be alot of Police in the neighborhood, no big deal, then things went from bad to worse, and then they left.

2) once upon a time you could actually get a traffic ticket for speeding down a secondary street. Not anymo.

3) Big Four - Occassionally they would patrol and drive about the blocks for one, two, or maybe three days in a row, depending on what was going on. Upon first sightings, word would spread that the Big Four were around and about, watch yer P's and Q's. Being little kids, they never bothered us much, except for one time to slowly pull alongside, roll down the window, "where are you going? where do you live? don't walk in the street." And so, we walked on the sidewalk temporarily. Once they were gone and there were no more sightings, things relaxed a little bit. Sometimes you'd hear that they beat someone up, but that was OK because that person most likely deserved it. The end.

4) That band, The Blue Pigs, they were pretty popular and I wonder if they still rock.

http://www.bluepigsdpd.com/Contactin...Blue-Pigs.html

Here is a web site, if you check the link for schedule it says nothing scheduled.
    Also refers to the DPD web site but no Blue Pig contact I could find.

Yes they were a great PR tool.

About a month ago, in front of the police station at the corner of Woodward and East Grand Boulevard, I saw a van with "Detroit Blue Pigs" professionally written on it. Maybe they still use the van, though the band is gone?

Piss on the big 4. A group of us young teenagers [[ we're white ) were hanging around a school in the early 60s when the big 4 pulled up. They ordered us to leave the area and used filthy language to make thier point. for adults to act that way around kids don't show me much. I heard the 1967 riot was started in part because of them and I can believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    I heard the 1967 riot was started in part because of them and I can believe it.
    The '67 riot began with a raid by a vice unit on a blind pig [[unlicensed liquor establishment) in the early morning hours of July 23, 1967. The patronage was far, far in excess of what was anticipated, and as they gathered outside as the "owners" were being arrested, disorder started and the rest is history. Since the "big four" got off duty at 3:00 a.m. and the raid took place after that, I can assure you they were not involved.

The '67 riot began with a raid by a vice unit on a blind pig [[unlicensed liquor establishment) in the early morning hours of July 23, 1967. The patronage was far, far in excess of what was anticipated, and as they gathered outside as the "owners" were being arrested, disorder started and the rest is history. Since the "big four" got off duty at 3:00 a.m. and the raid took place after that, I can assure you they were not involved.
    Sometimes Ray I think the problem was,and is in some cases how individual officers approach suspects or citizens. There is at times unecessary sarcasm, anger and disrespect toward individuals who are innocent, even if the cops do have probable cause there is no reason to let out a tirade of verbal abuse. Theyre in the unmarked car,with the power and authority to at the very least inconvenience a citizen with trumped up charges because the citizen demanded to see i.d. or a badge #.etc... Its a good way for the police to make anti social angry citizens even more disagreeable.....if they want to be macho jerks they should do so off duty with individuals that can verbally and physicall fight back without the aggravation of lost freedom and court... most of my encounters-experiences with the police have been positive...just saying the police shouldn't intimidate [[unless it is for an interrogation tool)...just some random thoughts...

It happens, Terry. Ever run into a snotty car mechanic? Or a retail clerk that got off the day with his panties in a bunch? How about a physician's office on trying to get a bill straightened out between them and your insurance company? Or dealing with the insurance company itself?

Sometimes life just sucks. But don't let the bun holes of the world overshadow all the good that there is.

It happens, Terry. Ever run into a snotty car mechanic? Or a retail clerk that got off the day with his panties in a bunch? How about a physician's office on trying to get a bill straightened out between them and your insurance company? Or dealing with the insurance company itself?

Sometimes life just sucks. But don't let the bun holes of the world overshadow all the good that there is.
    Agreed Ray...the police deal with the worst of the worst hardcore sociopaths...mans inhumanity to man etc....budgets should if possible guarantee full benefits and top wages for public safety workers... And I meant that!