Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Aol news article gives detroit another black eye

I couldn't help but chuckle after reading this article and how they stated that the group in the article were Detroit Based...lol...why is it that every negative thing coming from Michigan has to be connected to Detroit....but if it's something positive they make sure that they attatch it to a specific suburb outside of Detroit....

Read the article for yourself and see how Detroit just pops up...

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...-la%2F19444067

DetroitDad Guest

Don't take so much offense to it all, we are taking the lead of creating the new American urban culture here... some nuts are bound to come out of that kind of fertile garden.

L.A. handled it nicely.

A 48213 PO box. I doubt they live in that hood. Probably too embarassing to rent a PO box closer to where they really live.

detroitjim Guest

Big Deal ! There are already a few hundred thousand black guys in Detroit .
    Whats one more?

lilpup Guest

Isn't this the group the local news announced as moving here a few years ago from Minnesota? Their website has a Detroit P.O. Box but the phone number listed has a St. Paul, MN area code. This group, which according to the ADL is the largest Neo-Nazi organization in the country, has state chapters all over the place.

Quote: "Don't take so much offense to it all, we are taking the lead of creating the new American urban culture here... some nuts are bound to come out of that kind of fertile garden."

ROFL...

LL Cool D Guest

And the debate goes on:

a) Fast On "Race" Day
    b) Found On the Road Dead

[quote=motorcitymadness;138357]I couldn't help but chuckle after reading this article and how they stated that the group in the article were Detroit Based...lol...why is it that every negative thing coming from Michigan has to be connected to Detroit....but if it's something positive they make sure that they attatch it to a specific suburb outside of Detroit....

Read the article for yourself and see how Detroit just pops up...

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...-la%2F19444067

I won't even bother to read the article. After a half-century of uninformed and biased bullshit, why waste any energy on it?. I'm not saying it might not be a slightly accurate assessment of outsider's views of Detroit, I'm saying go on and live your life, day to day, in and around Detroit. Detroit is what it is. And there's still plenty to like about our city, proper, informed, criticism, notwithsatnding. Spend a day at Eastern Market, Belle Isle, Detroit Jazz Fest, The Dally, a dive, corner bar, rolling on the river, and you see what a cool place we have here.Work toward the goal of improving Detroit, just don't hinge your enjoyment on it being like other cities.

I never really understood the term "black eye" in this situation. People have been talking about Detroit's problems [[often unfairly) for years. Exactly how many eyes does Detroit have?

1KielsonDrive,

Go ahead and read the article. It doesn't express anyone's view about Detroit. It only says that the NeoNazi group was Detroit based.

No reason for anyone to get his/her back up about ...

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I won't even bother to read the article. After a half-century of uninformed and biased bullshit, why waste any energy on it?. I'm not saying it might not be a slightly accurate assessment of outsider's views of Detroit, I'm saying go on and live your life, day to day, in and around Detroit. Detroit is what it is. And there's still plenty to like about our city, proper, informed, criticism, notwithsatnding. Spend a day at Eastern Market, Belle Isle, Detroit Jazz Fest, The Dally, a dive, corner bar, rolling on the river, and you see what a cool place we have here.Work toward the goal of improving Detroit, just don't hinge your enjoyment on it being like other cities.
    Beautiful post! Pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by missn View Post
    1KielsonDrive,

Go ahead and read the article. It doesn't express anyone's view about Detroit. It only says that the NeoNazi group was Detroit based.

No reason for anyone to get his/her back up about ...
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    Beautiful post! Pure and simple.
    Thank you!

I like to use last Labor Day weekend as an example. I live on Ford Lake at present. I came to Hamtramck for business during the day. Headed downtown to catch an interview with Hank Jones at the Jazz Fest. Hiked around for a while and headed back to meet friends in Hamtown. Spent a few hours milling around the Labor Day Festival and bars in Hamtramck. Departed to hit a couple of bars on the west side near the Ford Rouge. Hit a couple more bars along Vernor Springwells and headed back down to the Jazz Fest and walking around downtown. Closed out with burgers and coffee at Tel-Way. Drove home to Ford Lake. Sitting on the steps of the library, eating burgers, drinking coffee and watching people walking and cruising Michigan Avenue was the capper on a great day in Detroit. They're not all like that, but I had some pretty miserable days in San Francisco, too.