Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default serious question....

How do you date in Detroit [[and surrounding suburbs, lol)?

For someone ready to get back into the dating scene, what do you suggest? No clubs or bars, please.

Are there local meetups? Church? Social events? What about a local dating site that doesn't have pervs and creeps all over it [[and don't say Craigs List!)? Speed dating?

Go to church, attend the fellowship session or go grocery shopping.

Go do the stuff you like to do.

Going to church for a date doesn't make sense unless you're really into church.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post

Going to church for a date doesn't make sense unless you're really into church.
    Better than looking for a hook-up at a family reunion.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Better than looking for a hook-up at a family reunion.
    "Hey babe, do you come here often? Can I offer you some wine?"

"Blood of Christ"

"Amen"

I don't think going to church is a bad idea. Church ladies show comitment and less likely to be pervs.

Alternately, I suggest doing what you like. Join a tennis club or something similar. Most have singles nights. Look for a parents without partners org in your area.

If bars are out, try coffee houses with entertainment or a Starbucks in the am. Actually I take back the Starbucks suggestion, since anyone paying $5 for a coffee anything would be an expensive first date.

Ask friends or co workers to set you up with blind dates or crash weddings, single women at those are on a feeding frenzy.

Actually do know several people who met and married through "connect" type ads.

Happy hunting!

I notice that Detwa lists her gender as female in her forum public profile. Although forum members can set that to whatever they wish I will assume Detwa is female and ISO of male. If so, a woman friend of mine had a good suggestion.

Try going to a big computer / techy store, like Micro Center by Oakland Mall, particularly if you actually need something, cruise the aisles and ask 'do you know which of these are better' tech questions of customers without wedding rings. They will almost all be guys, often geeky, but smart and probably have good jobs. They may be a little socially awkward so they might be happy to have a reason to engage in a conversation about something with which they are comfortable. Who knows they may be open to helping you set it up/show you how to use it over coffee. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Go to church, attend the fellowship session or go grocery shopping.
    Especially since the original poster mentioned "church," I would agree with that church would certainly be one of the best possible places for someone looking to meet someone of similar faith.
    Another option would be a religion-based singles group. I met my own wife through such a group.

Try Googling "Christian singles" + "Detroit", for example, for a number of Christian options.

LOL, yes, I am female!

Seems like people go to church these days as couples or families. I don't see too many single men sitting alone in church anymore, but I think I'll start some church tours this summer.

There was that board game club too, I wonder if that's still going on, that would be fun.

Try supermarkets especially if they have singles nights. A friend of mine did and raved about the connections he made. Stay away frome local dating services, a lot of them are a rip off, At least they used to be. Good luck.

Detwa-

For my guy friends when one is looking for a companion, I tell them this:

When you want to hunt deer, where do you go? The city or the country?

The country. Why? because that is where the deer are located.

Hence when looking for a Dear, a Male Dear, go to where the Dears are located. As you know there are few single ones in church, but like Lowell suggests a computer store is a good place to start. For a more physical type, head to Dunhams, the gym or a used car emporium.

Primarily, the best way to find a sweetie is to not want one. Set your sights lower. Set your sights on drinking coffee. When you meet a Mr. Possible, set up a half-hour coffee date. The time limit will do two things for you; one, it takes the preasure off if you don't "feel" it; two, since the time is short you won't spend it on meaningless small talk. If it goes well, arrange another, if not you're not out much.

Not true about church ladies..some of the church ladies I hooked up with were the biggest 'freaks' youre biology doesn't change because you attend church...
    I would suggest you don't remain too aloof...like guys shouldnt come on too strong..dont seem over eager or to the other extreme desperate...If you are a female it shouldng be hard to find a suitor...be open ..

What age group are you looking for? Try a DY picnic or a Dy get together. Volunteer for Habitat.

My best advice is to start running in 5k, half marathons.