Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lilpup Guest

Default Why the need to know someone's sexual orientation?

Is it just because Americans are so titillated by anything sexual that there's this seemingly driven need to unequivocally establish the sexual orientation of celebrities and other public figures? Or is it more a matter of non-straights trying to find high profile people to identify with [[though this doesn't explain straights who also engage in the speculation game)? Or is it to establish a basis for straight discrimination? Or what?

So the Bible freaks can ostracize them?

lilpup Guest

except the particular case I'm thinking of is about someone who died 25 years ago

Just be what you are and no one cares. Closet yourself and once you're exposed people are curious as to what the fuck kind of person you were. Read Larry the WideStance Craig.

Why indeed! Have many friends and could not care less about their sexual orientation. Good friends are good friends.

In many settings and interactions it should not be necessary to discuss, know or ask.

However, because it can be socially and politically advantageous to reveal their sexual orientation, some do.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-18-10 at 09:49 PM.

Sensationalism..

Back in high school I noticed male students had female attributes and mannnerisms and tomboyish females with a proclivity toward an attraction to females and figured those behaviours and mannerisms were innate..I decided back then that sexuality probably isnt a choice but driven by biology and early childhood experiences...so yeah who cares..

So the Bible freaks can ostracize them?
    Don't forget the flip side - homosexuals taking thier sexuality and shoving it in your children's faces whether you want them exposed to it or not. It's not about protecting your kids from homosexuality, it's about protecting your kids from any sexuality, until timing is appropriate.

Walking through Disney a few years ago with my 6 year old, two men in front of us wearing T-shirts that said "A day of magic, and a night of pleasure - GAY DAY 2005"

It wasn't gay day, it wasn't even gay week for that matter. but fitting to wear to a children's theme park? Probably not.

Sexual preference is the business of the individual.
    Sensationalism..
    Bingo.
    so yeah who cares..
    Bingo again. Your neighbor's kids dont need to see your "Gay & Loving It" T-shirt,
    about as much as they would need to see my "I Bang Women" T-shirt.

Manners should be universal when it comes to sex stuff in public.

I am far from a homophobe. Lots of people go both ways, or the same way, whatever. Most of us can name several people they know who do. I know I can. But like the above poster says, America eats up sexuality like a fat man eats ice cream at the all you can eat sundae bar, so the media keeps shoving it front and center, and runs with any story they can about who puts what in where and why.
    Last edited by Papasito; April-19-10 at 04:09 PM.

When is the orientation of a public figure relevant? I'd say it's their private business for the most part. But if somebody makes a living out of homophobia and is gay ... I'd say it's relevant then because their hypocrisy should be exposed.

I could care less about someone else's sexual orientation.

I've often thought people who feel the need to proclaim their preferences, weather it be sexual, religious, politically, etc. are just looking for some controversy, as most folks could care less.

Quote: "I've often thought people who feel the need to proclaim their preferences, weather it be sexual, religious, politically, etc. are just looking for some controversy, as most folks could care less."

The same can be said about those who go off on a faux bitch session about people that don't think or live as they do.

lilpup Guest

Considering that straight seems to be the human default setting do you think it's wrong for gays to try to establish some type of past [[as well as present) gay history for group identity purposes?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Back in high school I noticed male students had female attributes and mannnerisms and tomboyish females with a proclivity toward an attraction to females and figured those behaviours and mannerisms were innate..I decided back then that sexuality probably isnt a choice but driven by biology and early childhood experiences...so yeah who cares..
    erm...stereotype much?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Considering that straight seems to be the human default setting do you think it's wrong for gays to try to establish some type of past [[as well as present) gay history for group identity purposes?
    No. Would you say the same thing about black history or history of any other minority group?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    No. Would you say the same thing about black history or history of any other minority group?
    With most other minority groups historical members can be identified on sight so there's no debate about whether they belong or not. That's not true with sexual orientation since it was illegal in most places and people could not live openly, many of them leading double lives with arranged marriages, keeping up appearances, etc.
    Last edited by lilpup; April-20-10 at 10:02 AM.

With most other minority groups historical members can be identified on sight so there's no debate about whether they belong or not. That's not true with sexual orientation since it was illegal in most places and people could not live openly, many of them leading double lives with arranged marriages, keeping up appearances, etc.
    Yes, but why does that make learning about gay history "wrong"? Repression of gay people by society is also part of the history and in spite of that some people were still out of the closet.
    Last edited by Pam; April-20-10 at 11:19 AM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Yes, but why does that make learning about gay history "wrong"? Respression of gay people by society is also part of the history and in spite of that some people were still out of the closet.
    I didn't ask about learning gay history but about establishing gay history. Abe Lincoln? Eleanor Roosevelt? Others not typically viewed as gay but argued to be?

I didn't ask about learning gay history but about establishing gay history. Abe Lincoln? Eleanor Roosevelt? Others not typically viewed as gay but argued to be?
    I don't care if people want to speculate. I don't think that is "establishing" anything, unless letters or journals or something else came to light that is fueling the speculation.

On a more personal level, I suppose it would be nice if everyone wore a button or ribbon or something... it would help avoid those occasional awkward moments when two people's eyes lock from across the room at a cocktail party... and one goes in for a move... and the gaydar's not working...

...but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

erm...stereotype much?
    Probably not anymore or less than millions ot other Americans....Youve never had a predjudice or sterotyped?
    \Not all gay men are feminine...not all lesbians are tomboyish..just saying gays and lesbians or straights with those attributes shouldn't be ostracized....

Retroit Guest

Maybe a bit too far off topic, but I was wondering: With the greater acceptance of gay marriage nowadays, what about bi-sexual marriage? I mean, shouldn't a bi-sexual be allowed to marry a man and a woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Maybe a bit too far off topic, but I was wondering: With the greater acceptance of gay marriage nowadays, what about bi-sexual marriage? I mean, shouldn't a bi-sexual be allowed to marry a man and a woman?
    Good question Im not sure how widly accepted gay marriage is...I havent looked at any polls lately, but I know that up until about 1967 Interacial marriage was still illegal in I think, 37 states....the majority of Americans around that time opposed interacial marriage.....

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    And while we're at it, why not a man, a woman, and his dog?

It's only a matter of time.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    And while we're at it, why not a man, a woman, and his dog?

It's only a matter of time.
    Yes, because marriage between two humans must finally equate to human-animal marriages.

Bigotry and Homophobia are alive and well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast