Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Great, Exit wounds on tv.

Orin Boyd [[Steven Seagal) is a cop who works in Detroit's 21st precinct, and his attitude and rough means of enforcing the law always end up annoying the precinct captain, Frank Daniels [[Bruce McGill). When a Michigan militant group try to kill the Vice President [[Christopher Lawford) of the United States, Orin kills the militants. Even though Orin saved the Vice President's life, Frank does not like the way Orin did it, so Frank transfers Orin to the 15th precinct—Detroit's worst precinct.
    Well, not being a Detroit native, or indeed a visitor, I would be surprised to see some Detroit footage. Many times a city scene comes from the Hollywood back lots. Question; was this movie indeed shot [[No pun intended) in Detroit? And is the premise of this movie correct? Is the 15th the worst or is this sooo 2001?

There are only eight precincts today, however one of those remaining is named the 12th.

In another region of this website there are maps of the precincts. In one of the eastern areas, I recall that being three or more precincts in the mid-80's.

The name of the movie is Exit Wounds, in case that wasn't clear.

I guess I could have filled in the blank myself. Halfway the movie, not a single signature building seen. Exept in the first scene where they say "all mayhem broke out on the Belle Isle Bridge." So far the only reference to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Well, not being a Detroit native, or indeed a visitor, I would be surprised to see some Detroit footage. Many times a city scene comes from the Hollywood back lots. Question; was this movie indeed shot [[No pun intended) in Detroit? And is the premise of this movie correct? Is the 15th the worst or is this sooo 2001?
    I picked up a copy and watched it not too long after you mentioned it out of curiousity. I wondered why the sites looked so familiar. At first, I thought it might have been filmed in the metro Detroit area with a lot of extras and digital touch ups. Then, I googled it and it said most of it was filmed in Canada. That's why a lot of the scenes looked so familiar to me while watching it. They were of Toronto.

It's a Steven Seagal movie, and as such bears absolutely no relationship to reality.

The streets are way too busy in the movie...

It makes me wonder though. Which movies and blockbusters have actually been shot in Detroit? [[apart from 8 mile, Four brothers and the Red Dawn remake.)

It makes me wonder though. Which movies and blockbusters have actually been shot in Detroit? [[apart from 8 mile, Four brothers and the Red Dawn remake.)
    Movies that filmed scenes in Detroit though the scenes didn't represent Detroit:
    Transformers, The Island, Driven, Presumed Innocent

Movies that were filmed and based in Detroit:
    Out of Sight, Zebrahead, Collision Course, Renaissance Man, The Beverly Hills franchise

Truth be told, Detroit has a habit of being represented by other cities in other films [[see:RoboCop) but it was never good enough to come and film here. In the movie Narc, I believe the actor Jason Patric insisted that they have to film some scenes in Detroit proper though the movie was made in Toronto based on Detroit of course.

My favorite in this regard was the infamous Bird On A Wire, which subbed in some western Canadian city [[with mountains in the background!) for Detroit. The main characters leave Detroit by taking a Detroit-to-Racine ferry [[yes, that Racine, the one in Wisconsin). Mel Gibson tells Goldie Hawn that the ferry ride will take "about 2 hours"!!

A lot of Four Brothers was also filmed in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Brothers_%28film%29

Yes, Hollywood has a heightened sense of reality to put it politely. I worked on a movie entitled Taking Lives in 2006 where the action takes place in Montreal. The 3 principal cops were all french actors with the inappropriate european accents. We shot scenes in both Quebec City and Montreal posing as the one city in spite of their very different landmarks. The movie wasnt all that bad, but if you are looking for local color in speech, etc... then it sucks big time!!!

It would be very hard for Detroit to play Detroit in the movies. I remember when they were making the TV movie about the Temptations they could not shoot in Detroit because it did not look as it appeared in the early 60's so they chose Pittsburgh to play Detroit. Look at Dreamgirls which was based on Motown and in that movie The Dreams as well as Curtis Taylor and Rainbow Records were from "Detroit" but Detroit was played by Los Angeles and they never shot any Detroit scenes in Detroit.

Maybe we somebody can convince David Simon to film a version of The Wire in movie form that would be based in the "D" and then Detroit could be shown in its full glory. [[Vacants are plenty)

I would very much like to see Detroit directors setting up shop without the Hollywood strings and producing independent films about Detroit. What I crave is something not reliant on the Hollywood model. Materially, there are fewer constraints now to making movies than ever. The only problem is financing to some degree, and distribution. A city like Detroit needs to have its stories told and as much as possible by knowing and caring storytellers. This will happen in the next ten years I am pretty sure. Cities that own their history and can reinterpret it to a wider audience become their own republics. Like in the renaissance...

Great Scott! Nice wiki!

Meanwhile, I got lost for a few hours in this site about the rise and demise of the 40 acres backlot of RKO pictures in Culver City LA. It's the very site where blockbusters like the 1932 version of Tarzan, King Kong and Gone With The Wind were shot, as well as the bulk of the Andy Griffith Show. Sad to see that come to an end in 1976.

Great pictures and if you're a fan of movies, a great site to see. Worth your time. Report back.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; April-24-10 at 02:48 PM.