Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 380 of 432 FirstFirst ... 280 330 370 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 390 430 ... LastLast
Results 9,476 to 9,500 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Name:  thruthewindo.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  26.3 KBHey Jingles, don't forget "GarWood Rule #1".......It doesn't matter if you lived there or not......Rule= "If you think it happened there.......It did"

If in doubt......Look through the "Window" ........

Excellent rules to live by, but I looked through the window anyway, and I liked what I saw, memories of the great times I had at Grande, Eastown, Gar Wood, Plum Street, The River Rouge Festival[[s), the scent of burning leaves in the Fall, playing football for my HS team, the pom-pom parties, the float parties, WXYZ-FM, WABX, CJOM, Vernor's with real sugar, and many more memories that I won't bore you with.

AAAAhhhhhhh yesss.....Not to sure it was smell of burning leaves or something else........

Hey Whaler.....in case you didn't know it.....today is your Birthday.....so
    HAPPY FREAKIN BIRTHDAY AT YOU!!!!!!!

"I smoke marijuana, but I can't get behind your wars; and most of what I do believe is against most of your laws." [[Quicksilver Messenger Service - "What About Me?") -

The ironic thing about this is that while I really believed that I couldn't "get behind your wars" [[in Vietnam), I ended up getting drafted and sent to Vietnam - This after telling my dad instead of getting drafted into the Army, I wanted to join the Marines [[I didn't want to dodge the draft or go to Canada - and I have nothing against the people who did) - He said "What are you NUTS??" "Do you want to go to Vietnam?" I said not really [[dad was a Marine in Korea) - He said "Join the Navy, and you won't go." - I took his advice, but got sent to 'Nam anyway and became a member of an Air Rescue Crew rescuing downed pilots in North Vietnam off the aircraft carrier USS Midway CVA-41 - He was beside himself and worried about me from the time I went to boot camp until I was discharged - Dad was a good man and a good father [[the 19th anniversary of his death was September 16, 1992), he actually offered to give me money and assistance if I wanted to move to Toronto, and we were by no means rich - Don't know why these things popped into my mind, they seem to be more prevalent lately, I guess I'm getting old.

Jingles...Welcome Home, brother, and thanks for your service. There's another squid on this thread....screen name "Whaler".....great guy...keep checking in..good to have you aboard...

Sgt. Larry Merryman
    199th Infantry Brigade [[Lt) [[Sep)
    In Country: Viet Nam: 9/67-9/68

Hey Jingles.......Don't know why these things popped into your mind......It's the window......see I told ya....."Whoa whoa, whatcha gonna do about me.....

Spec 4 Gary Merryman
    25th Div. 2/27 Wolfhound
    Cu Chi/Tay Ninh 69/70
    Last edited by gash; September-18-11 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    Jingles...Welcome Home, brother, and thanks for your service. There's another squid on this thread....screen name "Whaler".....great guy...keep checking in..good to have you aboard...

Sgt. Larry Merryman
    199th Infantry Brigade [[Lt) [[Sep)
    In Country: Viet Nam: 9/67-9/68
    Welcome home as well brother - Thanks for the kind words - I thank you for your service as well - I'll keep checking in on a regular basis - Ric

Quote Originally Posted by gash View Post
    Hey Jingles.......Don't know why these things popped into your mind......It's the window......see I told ya....."Whoa whoa, whatcha gonna do about me.....

Spec 4 Gary Merryman
    25th Div. 2/27 Wolfhound
    Cu Chi/Tay Ninh 69/70
    "If you stand up for what you believe, be prepared to be shot down........", but on the other hand, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." [[Malcolm X) - I'd rather stand for something, take the flak, and keep coming back at 'em, stronger and stronger - The window is a patient teacher - Thanks for your service brother.

Anyone go to Mi. Fest this last weekend?

Not me...couldn't get a ride.

Hey Gash or anyone else: Was there something called "Greystone Mansion" somewhere around Detroit in the '60s? I seem to recall a place that was similar to Gar Wood; it might have been a biker hangout, or maybe I'm just losing my mind.

The Garwood was located on Greyhaven Island. Bikers came in and wrecked the place over a period of time after the good people left. I would have to assume by your thread name that you're perfectly sane.

Hey Ya A'll...Jingles welcome from a former Squid... Grey Noodle was not able to make it...I heard from peeps small crowd Goth kind of music besides S. Crow...About 10 bands pulled out at the last min...Carl Lundgren Poster Maker and Artist, might have some more info he was there..Hope all is good gang Having a tough last 4 months...Things will get better nothing like your health..Peace to all...Whaler

Radioman 2nd Class
    David Matteson 74-79 [[Late bloomer)
    USN

I remember that now, it just got progressively worse and more dangerous to go there especially if you were a "hippy"; at least I had the "Grey" part right!

Thanks Whaler - Look forward to talking with you.

DC-3
    Ric Larson
    Flying Squad
    USS Midway CVA-41
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club; Yankee Station
    USN '70-'72
    Last edited by Jingles in Boofland; September-21-11 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingles in Boofland View Post
    "I smoke marijuana, but I can't get behind your wars; and most of what I do believe is against most of your laws." [[Quicksilver Messenger Service - "What About Me?") -

The ironic thing about this is that while I really believed that I couldn't "get behind your wars" [[in Vietnam), I ended up getting drafted and sent to Vietnam - This after telling my dad instead of getting drafted into the Army, I wanted to join the Marines [[I didn't want to dodge the draft or go to Canada - and I have nothing against the people who did) - He said "What are you NUTS??" "Do you want to go to Vietnam?" I said not really [[dad was a Marine in Korea) - He said "Join the Navy, and you won't go." - I took his advice, but got sent to 'Nam anyway and became a member of an Air Rescue Crew rescuing downed pilots in North Vietnam off the aircraft carrier USS Midway CVA-41 - He was beside himself and worried about me from the time I went to boot camp until I was discharged - Dad was a good man and a good father [[the 19th anniversary of his death was September 16, 1992), he actually offered to give me money and assistance if I wanted to move to Toronto, and we were by no means rich - Don't know why these things popped into my mind, they seem to be more prevalent lately, I guess I'm getting old.
    Nice post Jingles,

BM3 USS Reasoner 74-78 [[Named after the first Marine killed in Vietnam)

Frank Reasoner was awarded a Medal Of Honor posthumously, after being killed in action [[as designated Commanding Officer that day) with the 3rd Marines Recon near Da Nang in June, 1965 - It would be an honor to serve aboard a ship named for him.
    Last edited by Jingles in Boofland; September-22-11 at 07:39 PM.

Sketches from Gar Wood in the '60s by unknown artist - [[not really)
    Name:  confused1small size.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  7.4 KB

after being killed in action [[as designated Commanding Officer that day)
    Well that sucks, I would have crossed my name off the POD list if I'd known.

That ship was sold to Turkey, for ten cents on the dollar. It's now renamed for Turkey's national poet. Go figure.

Attachment 10736

Yeah, but when you read about what he did that day and how he saved the lives of his fellow marines, and killing two enemy soldiers as well, it's understandable why the navy named a ship after him - Sometimes US ships end up in the most unlikely places....like Turkey! - My dad was on the USS Missouri BB-63 during Korea as a marine - I don't even know where the Missouri is anchored today.

Speaking of ships, here's the five-master [[non-navy) my grandfather served aboard when he left Sweden at 16 in 1911 - When he finally got to the US after serving five years aboard this ship, and weathering a shipwreck in the North Sea to boot, he joined the US Army in Lynn, MA [[he wanted to become a US citizen first and foremost), and was sent to fight Pancho Villa in 1916, after Villa murdered US citizens in New Mexico - They never caught Villa, or for that matter, ever saw him or his bunch of renegades - Grandad went to Fort Sill, OK and became part of the US Army Balloon Corps - He was discharged in 1919 after WWI - He lived to be 84, passing away in 1979 - Boy, the stories he would tell me when I was a kid were like the stuff from a Rudyard Kipling book, or Richard Henry Dana [[Two Years Before The Mast), really exciting adventures for an impressionable kid to hear!
    Name:  OWLship.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  34.8 KB

I'd hate to be the rigmaster on that ship...

Let alone the person who had to iron those sheets. [[The bm3). : )

Quote Originally Posted by Jingles in Boofland View Post
    Yeah, but when you read about what he did that day and how he saved the lives of his fellow marines, and killing two enemy soldiers as well, it's understandable why the navy named a ship after him - Sometimes US ships end up in the most unlikely places....like Turkey! - My dad was on the USS Missouri BB-63 during Korea as a marine - I don't even know where the Missouri is anchored today.
    I don't want to degrade what he did that day, I have lived 37 years with that knowledge. He lives on with me, and with very few else. But back to your screen name, Pretty cool. Up for grabs - Johnny Ginger, Captain Jolly, Milky the Clown, and Poopdeck Paul. [[Always wondered about that name).