Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 427 of 432 FirstFirst ... 327 377 417 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 LastLast
Results 10,651 to 10,675 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Happy holidays to all the Garwood folks and all the people that post on this site and or don't.
    It's always great to hear from anyone here from dyes and beyond. I've always felt a great bond from the people on this site no matter what their subject was.

Good people. Great site.

Or just nothing as it seems like this holiday has become, which is ok I guess

Name:  xmasrockingchristmas.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  58.1 KB
    Still rockin' in the free world.
    Wishin" ya'all all the best for the new year!

Happy ROCKIN' TO YOU AS WELL DETgirl and to all the great people on the
    Dyes site......

This is still a great site, and I want to wish everybody who comes her the best year they've ever had.......I love you all.

oldguy.......doing any ice fishing this year?

Name:  pp 1a.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  43.1 KB

It is a sad day......
    From Ruth , I am so sorry to share with you the sad news that our Margie passed away this morning. I saw her just a few days ago and she was as bright, funny and loving as ever. She was a joy to everyone who knew her. Mike is planning a memorial service for her in about a month. I'll keep you all posted on that.

Isle......I got the same sad news yesterday, and it truly is a sad, sad day for those who knew and loved Margie.

Name:  garwood teunion 124.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  48.2 KB

Margie....2009 Garwood Mansion Family Reunion......Skipper's Hamtown Bar........Hamtramck, MI.

Very sad. She looks familiar. Before the last of your group leaves, someone should write the book. Condolences.

I hope all the people who have posted and followed this thread all these years, will still pop in and post once in a while. Age has no limits on this forum.

Look at Ray1936 and tponetom.

Attachment 32809 Attachment 32810
    Last edited by Bigb23; February-23-17 at 10:52 PM.

Bigb23......once a hippie, always a hippie.

Name:  robin and larry back.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  73.4 KB

Just stopping by to provide a heartbeat to this thread.................

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    Just stopping by to provide a heartbeat to this thread.................
    Hey Larry... At one point this Thread was the best on DetroitYes ... Wonder what happened to Rocketwhit... Quite a few have passed on... Gar Wood Mansion was one of the coolest places of its time!!!... I will never forget your Music, And Collier's Photos!!!!... "Every picture tells a story don't it"

Whaler....... "Every picture tells a story don't it".....it damn sure does. I think all the people of the Garwood Mansion just lost interest after they realized that you can't capture lightning in a bottle twice The 2009 reunion was a one time shot at reliving those glory days of the old mansion, and when that magic didn't appear everybody went home.............and [[with a few exceptions like yourself) they never came back out to play.

Greetings from Mount Shasta, California.

Life is moving on.
    The Gar Wood Mansion is a distant memory as I turn 70 years old next month.
    It was and is a great launching pad.
    It adds glamor and dazzle to our lives.

I've posted the lyrics to this song before, but perhaps it is time to do it again:

GAR WOOD MEMORIES

Well, there were twenty freaks
    and a long-haired rock'n'roll band.
    We lived in poverty in a palace.
    Like the Russian revolution
    when the peasants took the land,
    we mixed the splendid with the callous.

Barbra served me breakfast on the terrace.
    She made eggs while I would roll the jays.
    We'd get high and watch the lazy river
    passing by our house like wasted days.

CHORUS:
    Nothing works without the Spirit.
    Nothing lasts unless it's real.
    There was love, but I could not hear it.
    There was joy I could not feel.

Well, there were twenty freaks
    and a long-haired rock'n'roll band.
    As friendly strangers we succeeded
    in living near each other without getting too close
    and giving only what was needed.

We had parties celebrating freedom
    and used them as a way to pay the rent.
    Now I see the dancing and the music
    was part of our tradition and ascent.

CHORUS:
    Nothing works without the Spirit.
    Nothing lasts unless it's real.
    There was love, but I could not hear it.
    There was joy I could not feel.

Blessings from the sacred mountain Shasta,
    Lewis [["Lee") Elbinger

Default birthday

Hello
    and
    Happy Birthday
    to all the
    June ,
    July,
    August,
    and
    September
    Happy People.
    Last edited by Isle_of_fun; June-09-17 at 11:25 AM. Reason: caps

"Now I see the dancing and the music was part of our tradition and ascent."
    What a great way to put it......thank you Lewis, and Happy Birthday.....I have one today, so thank you Isle........we just keep on rockin' in the free world......

Anybody remember this house?

Name:  18492426_10211091528339040_1183881830_n.jpg
Views: 3083
Size:  199.6 KB

I've been in touch with a guy who lives on Greyhaven Island as we speak, and he's interested in the history of all things Grayhaven Island including the Garwood Mansion. I don't remember this particular house as being located on the island. There were only a total of 4 homes on that island [[I think...maybe less), and this beautiful place doesn't ring any bells in my 70 year old brain. Any help?

Saw this today , not sure if this was ever posted before on the Garwood site

Scroll to item number 1816

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...talent!/page73
    Last edited by Isle_of_fun; June-10-17 at 12:46 PM.

Where is old guy hiding?

Don't know where oldguy is.....hope all is well with him. Thanks for the Grayhaven/Garwood Mansion stuff........sweet!

Larry, Sumas [[ who has passed away) , had extensive research on Grey Haven. Maybe Lowell can connect you with her children, as her husband passed away also.

"Now I see the dancing and the music was part of our tradition and ascent."
    What a great way to put it......thank you Lewis, and Happy Birthday.....I have one today, so thank you Isle........we just keep on rockin' in the free world......

Anybody remember this house?

Name:  18492426_10211091528339040_1183881830_n.jpg
Views: 3083
Size:  199.6 KB

I've been in touch with a guy who lives on Greyhaven Island as we speak, and he's interested in the history of all things Grayhaven Island including the Garwood Mansion. I don't remember this particular house as being located on the island. There were only a total of 4 homes on that island [[I think...maybe less), and this beautiful place doesn't ring any bells in my 70 year old brain. Any help?
    yup, Dossin house, South side of the island, just an unusual view of it. That one was for sale in the last few years and was known about 8 years ago for some "alternative lifestyle" activities.

kklemmer.......if you were going down Keelson Drive after crossing the bridge headed for the Garwood Mansion would that house be set back off the road on the right hand side just after you crossed the bridge, or was it further down toward the mansion. I seem to remember a house being located somewhere on the right hand side of Keelson Drive, and Ralph's house was on the left side of the road about halfway down [[I'm positive of that).

Sad news for the Garwood family. Stonefront's brilliant guitarist Harry "HiWatt" Bourlier just lost his beautiful fiancé Linda a few days ago......no particulars, but I knew her to be a wonderful, loving, and devoted lady and those who knew her know that is the truth. My guitar playing brother and hero is hurting, and I hurt too. God Speed to Harry and family.

kklemmer.......if you were going down Keelson Drive after crossing the bridge headed for the Garwood Mansion would that house be set back off the road on the right hand side just after you crossed the bridge, or was it further down toward the mansion. I seem to remember a house being located somewhere on the right hand side of Keelson Drive, and Ralph's house was on the left side of the road about halfway down [[I'm positive of that).
    Yes, it is about 1/3 the way down the island from the bridge. Go just a little further and you are at Ralph's on the left.

Someday I'll get serious about that book i began about the island and the mansion which will answer a lot of questions.

Howdy everybody, thanks for asking about my whereabouts.
    Not much going on. Fishing, camping, working a bit and gardening a lot. Oh, and still enjoying a cocktail or three.
    Glad to hear from at least a fair number of people again.
    I'll stay in touch more often.
    Love you all, and stay healthy.