Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 416 of 432 FirstFirst ... 316 366 406 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 426 ... LastLast
Results 10,376 to 10,400 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

When I heard the news it brought back so many memories...Seeing Joe and the Grease Band at The Grande...Mad Dogs And Englishmen Tour...Eastown and Tampa Stadium... Saw Joe a few more times over the years...Always a Fine show!!!!...R.I.P. ...... Whaler

Looks like BushMark is heading out again. I wonder where he's going this time.

Attachment 25345

Attachment 25346

Name:  s f band perform z.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  61.4 KB

......and then there was this guy...

Attachment 25348

Larry, where did you come across that picture? And who are the two people standing to the right of me? I should know the person standing just to the right of me with the bag, but I can't put a name to him. That isn't Neil is it?
    Last edited by old guy; December-26-14 at 04:45 AM.

By the way, you're looking good in that last photo, and since nobody's brought it up, Happy Holidays and I hope everyone's doing well.

John Collier sent me a truckload of Garwood/Stonefront photos that nobody has seen yet. I guess they are part of the latest edit/version of the what is now called Stones Throw documentary/film. If you had an email address that worked I could send you a whole batch, but that Bush Mark 51 thing always gets bounced back to me. If you still have my greyhat2008@yahoo.com address send me a line..... and I'll do you just fine. The guy to your right is Dave? It'll come to me sometime in the middle of the night.

This photo shows the infamous Bush Mark [[at least I think it's him-so does John Collier) hanging out with a few of his friends on a sunny summer afternoon. What a life that guy must have lived. That's you on the front porch rail sitting casually and carefree if I'm not mistaken.

Attachment 25352
    Last edited by stnfrnt; December-27-14 at 01:21 AM.

Yeah Larry, I tossed that last photo into photoshop and bumped it up a bit. I guess that is me sitting up on the railing. That must have been the day after the big party when I had the scuffle with the bikers and then they wanted me to stay and be one of them. Every time I tried to leave they'd stop me and tell me I was with them now. I used my old strategy of drinking all the booze and after about 36 hours the president of the Miami chapter of the Outlaws gave me a ride back to Ypsi where I returned to my uhh....normal life.
    Wow, that brings back some hair raising memories. I'll send you the right email address. Thanks. old bushmark guy.

I'm guessing that by the time the sun set that day, I had seen the mansion for the last time.

It must've been a couple of days after that photo was taken when I went back to have a little look-see. There was a group of lower level bikers there actually cleaning up a lot of stuff, or should I say they were requisitioning some articles, and I figure I might have been the last of the Garwood mansion residence to see the place before it started getting devoured.

A lot of people piss and moan and lament the fact that the life of the mansion ended the way it did. Everybody seems to think that the grandeur and the elegance of the place should have and could have been preserved somehow. Sorry sports fans, that was never going to happen, and I figure that the way in which that place spent its final days was an extremely righteous and almost sacred end of an era befitting a rebel royalty. We had some fun there......... boy did we have some fun there!

I don't know. I always thought that since the end was inevitable, going out with a bang didn't hurt anything.

That's the way I see it. When I knew we were going to get kicked to the curb, I figured what the hell; let the Outlaws have a little fun with the place, because nobody else is going to get another chance. And the fact that the place went down in an almost literal blaze of glory just seems so apropos and poetic. So be it. Are you checking your email? There should be a zip folder of some of the John Collier photos in JPEG-640 X 480 just for viewing pleasure. If you will email me your snail mail address I will send you a full set of the TIFF files on a couple DVDs.

I'm not sure who these people are, but this shot from the angle it is taken really triggers some memories. Up and down those steps thousands of times.

Attachment 25356

I believe this is a shot of that movie crew and a few other people while they were making your favorite 'bed eats people' movie. Notice the absence of Stonefront's equipment at the end of the ballroom.

Attachment 25357

Thanks Larry. Yeah, anything I can get in a higher res. the better. I'm kind of wondering if that last photo wasn't when Kunstler was there and they were attempting to film it. The bed movie was a while after we were there, and I can't imagine the picture over the fireplace, the couches or the pool table still being there at that point. Also, there are still a few pieces of equipment which reminds me more of when you guys were on the road.

Remember a few, maybe quite a few pages back when Lee said that the filming of the conference with Kunstler didn't really turn out all that well and was never released. Too bad.

Also, other than a shot of the organ, I don't think there were many other shots in the ballroom.

"It was called the worst movie never seen. “Death Bed: The Bed That Eats” was made in 1973 by a young filmmaker named George Barry. He couldn’t sell it, and nearly gave up until the age of video dawned. Once again, he tried to market the movie, but again, to no avail."

The Movie-Cult Classic ‘Death Bed: The Bed That Eats’ Moves To The Stage | Here & Now

It was filmed in 1973.

Dave Marsh, rock critic, historian, anticensorship activist, talk show host, and “Louie Louie” expert, has written more than 20 books about rock and popular music, as well as editing that many more. He co-founded and for four years edited Creem, the legendary rock and roll magazine that helped launch heavy metal, glam and punk, and spent five years as an associate and contributing editor of Rolling Stone,where he was chief music critic, columnist and feature writer. From 1985-2002, he served as music critic forPlayboy. The nineteen-year-old Marsh dropped out of Detroit’s Wayne State University to edit Creem in 1969. He departed in 1973. Maybe he could shed some light on the film, he was involved in it.

Also, the ladders and the missing curtains that seem to be props in the film make me wonder. What a horrible movie, but if nothing else some footage of the mansion. Your guess is as good as mine. I don't think most of it was filmed at the garwood, other than exterior shots and a few interior shots. The interior brickwork in the bedroom isn't the same.

Also, the Steinway concert player grand had been burned for firewood by the bikers #*!*@* by 73 I think.

I think you are both right about the final days!!!... Go out with a bang...it was never going to be the same!!!...Great photos again from John Collier!!! ... Thanks for posting Larry!!!!...Whaler

I still need your snail mail address for the CDs, and I seem to remember that movie being shot while we were still there. The reason being is that I remember Oklahoma Mike, Hoover, and me going up into the projection room so we could look through the projector hole down into the ballroom while they were filming a nude scene in the bed that they had set up where our equipment usually is. The female star, or one of them, had a world-class rack so there we were........up in the projector booth........ doing our "Porky" imitations.

I can't see William Kunstler or anybody involved with him being concerned with a bunch of rock 'n roll gear getting in the way of any filming of him or his seminars. It just does not compute.

Attachment 25359

Attachment 25360

Attachment 25361

I didn't remember Phil Ochs being at that conference. Wow, the things you forget.

I can really picture you, Oklahoma Mike & Hoover up there. I also didn't realize that they shot that movie while everybody was still there. I can't believe that you guys didn't get bit parts. Would have been perfect. Probably when I was in Arizona.

Oh yeah. They had the place tied up for about a week....maybe more. At least the ballroom got a pretty good cleaning, and they did it.

Nancy wouldn't have been too keen on me hanging around with a half naked, extremely buxom starlet all day long...........so ended my film career til now.
    Last edited by stnfrnt; January-03-15 at 01:02 AM.

Just to show you that some things never change [[and believe me when I say that it's not a bad thing at all), I had a nice long Skype chat with Tim a few days ago in which we discussed several minor details about getting the film finished; things like what should we add here or take out there or pay more attention to yada, yada, yada. I told him I thought that you came across on the screen really great [[and you do) so if there was more footage of your interview I would like to see that put into the film. He sort of chuckled a bit, and in an effort to be as kind as he could he mentioned the fact that your speech was already starting to slur citing the fact that it was late in the afternoon and perhaps there was a bit too much partying going on on that particular day. I guess there is more footage, but he has opted not to use it. I'd probably pay big money for those outtakes. Just sayin'.....

They said I was starting to slur my words towards the end of the interview? That's hogwash. I could hardly talk when the interview started and was randomly mumbling about mid way through it.

That was actually pretty late at night if you remember. I only had about 4 or 5 beers at the picnic, but we made a few stops on the way back to the hotel. Gus and I polished off about a magnum and a half of wine after that. Someone was about to give me a ride back to my hotel because I had to catch a train to Chicago at about 7:30 the next morning. When they came downstairs and said they wanted an interview I was a little nervous about it.

While they were setting up their equipment and lights, Gus said hey, I've got a fresh bottle of Tanqueray. I've been a beer and wine guy, and usually not together, for about the last 30 years. But, it sounded good at the time. Every time they had to re-set or something I'd pour another glass. I remember them mentioning a few times that the clinking of the ice cubes in my glass was being picked up by their microphones. I do remember that when the interview was over, the bottle of gin was gone and so was I. Managed to catch my train though. If I did say anything interesting later on, maybe they could do a sound over with a Stephen Hawking voice or something. That would probably match up with the picture.

I'll pass on that suggestion. It might work.

The two folks on the steps with the puppy are Me and Judy Winter and Sam...On our way to California....spent few weeks in Redondo Beach them up to Los Gatos to visit a friend of Judys for a few more weeks then back to GW...Would have been early spring "71"....

Good to hear from you Gash. Been a while.

Is that really you on the steps Gash? I never knew you to have such a cool hat. Is this the trip where you and Jeff Swanberg headed out for California by way of Canada and ended up getting quarantined somewhere in Nevada? Jeff's dad bailed you guys out I think. Or was this another one of your sojourns in search of the truth and the meaning of life. Why the hell would you want to ever leave the Garwood mansion?

Yeah that's me with Nam field hat, shirt, boots, and a PRC25 back pack......and this isn't the trip with Swanee ....but we did get hung up in Sparks Nevada because cops didn't think Judy should be with some one like me...they called her dad and sister to confirm it was OK.....By the way this site is still a pain in the arse.....after I close this entry out....I will have to sign up all over again 2- 3 different times....and it won't let me save any pics like it use to...and, yes, I do click on the remember me box.....Typing is screwed up as well....I check the site often .....guess there is a glitch somewhere between here and Det.....Anyway...Happy New Year every one and of course...Go Do Good Things