Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
"Now I see the dancing and the music was part of our tradition and ascent."
What a great way to put it......thank you Lewis, and Happy Birthday.....I have one today, so thank you Isle........we just keep on rockin' in the free world......

Anybody remember this house?

Name:  18492426_10211091528339040_1183881830_n.jpg
Views: 3088
Size:  199.6 KB

I've been in touch with a guy who lives on Greyhaven Island as we speak, and he's interested in the history of all things Grayhaven Island including the Garwood Mansion. I don't remember this particular house as being located on the island. There were only a total of 4 homes on that island [[I think...maybe less), and this beautiful place doesn't ring any bells in my 70 year old brain. Any help?
Name:  THF95944 execs 1913.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  67.2 KB
I can help with the earliest portion, my grandfather worked for Mr. Edward Gray [[that's him front row, far left with Ford Executives, 1913) back before he even moved to Michigan. He worked for him in Oil City, PA at Riverside Engine Company where Henry Ford purchased the first power plant engine for the new [[1909) Highland Park Model T plant. Ford soon hired Gray to be his Chief and Construction Engineer. My grandfather had been his 'draughtsman' there in Oil City and moved with Gray early 1910. Gray began working on the Grayhaven idea around 1914 or earlier. As Construction Engineer he had access to a lot of 'fill dirt' to build Grayhaven with. He had constant battles with the city in getting the island built, lots of issues with whether his work would cause flooding form the Conner's Creek area. His original plan was for a number of more affordable [[much more affordable than the Gar Wood Mansion, that's for sure!), each with boat mooring and shelter. In reality, not a lot different than what is there today. There are ads starting around 1914 for property there. Gray lived in his yacht, the Mildred GIII while working on the project for a number of years. This is that yacht- [[I confirmed that grandma's notes were correct- photo c. 1915-16 as Gray's son is on the end and he died in 1918.)
Name:  Edward Gray boat display.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  156.0 KB
Grandpa died in 1945, before I was even born, so much of what I know of that time was from my mother. I didn't know about this history until after grandma had died also and my mother was born in Pennsylvania after the family returned in 1919. They returned again in 1937 as Edward Gray had plans for a 'steam-diesel' train engine, using some of the thoughts behind the 'gas-steam' 6000hp power plant engines he designed for Highland Park [[one of which is in the Henry Ford Museum)- he was in need of money as fighting the city had dried up his funds. Grandpa's shop was on Grayhaven just over the bridge in a building that had a two lane bowling alley in the back. Gray died in 1939 so grandpa's work was just with Gar Wood after that, working on a Spanish outboard engine that was designed for 'Storm Boats', small attack boats that could travel at high speed. The front faced Port Drive- Name:  Grayhaven-Elmer-gar wood office.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  80.5 KB
It would have been to the right of this photo almost under the original bridge, my mother and grandmother c. 1943 there- Name:  Grayhaven-mom-grayhaven 1941_0003.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  113.2 KB
This photo shows one of those engines near the shop at Grayhaven- Name:  GWood3.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  33.1 KB
The Soriano engines were the same outboard engines that Gar Jr. and other top outboard boat engine drivers were using.
So my family's history with Grayhaven ended soon after grandpa's death in 1945. They lived at the end of Continental in those days- so close grandma could signal my uncle for dinner time by pulling a shade down on an upstairs window. Uncle Bob used to hang out on Grayhaven with the guys in the shop which included the top outboard boat racers of that time and he'd ge to ride in the bow during time trials on the river- a mile marked course with the mile marks on the Canadian side. Here's uncle Bob with the night watchman of Grayhaven, the watchman had a 'pet pheasant that nested near the office. Name:  Grayhaven-LeSuer-Album-1-captions_0031.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  119.6 KB
Although my uncle is still living his memory is pretty much gone now, sad state that too many older folks face. Been in and out of the hospital a few times recently too. He was born in 1930 so he wasn't around during the 'Ford days'. Most of what I have are notes my mother left and she died before I got around to researching all of this- too bad as those must have been VERY interesting days! I can see if I can answer any specific questions your friend may have with what I have here. I now live in Oregon but last visited in 2015 and took my uncle back down there before dementia took much of his memory away. He found it sad to see it so different- hadn't been down there in a LONG time.Name:  IMG_0651.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  99.9 KB