Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 430 of 432 FirstFirst ... 330 380 420 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 LastLast
Results 10,726 to 10,750 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

old guy.......back at you with the new year wishes..........i touch base with neil or penny every once in a while......i'll give them a shout out for you.........the winter is a bit milder so far, but it was only last year that we survived some -50° wind chill stuff, and i'm a california guy at heart so it was tough for me.....

Harry Boulier is playing in a cover band up there in Michigan, and Gary Markley sold all his property in Detroit and moved up to Torch Lake. Our dear Ruth retired, and she and her husband bought a house up in Ann Arbor, so she basically went back home. John Collier pops up every once in a while, and seems to enjoy growing and photographing his orchids and bromeliads. My favorite Fender bass guitar player in the whole world, Mark Swanberg, damn near died last Christmas from sepsis. After a year of surgeries and recovery in Nashville where his daughter lives, he's back home in Tupelo, Mississippi, having a cup of coffee with Elvis. I'm still writing and recording in my own little studio, so the rock 'n roll will never die in this household.

If you'll get your snail mail address to me, I'll send you a flash drive with a copy of the ill fated movie/documentary Stonefront: The Garwood Years put on there. It never really got finished, and I think it needs a narrative laid over the top of it, but it is what it is, and it's pretty enjoyable if you ask me.

I'll leave you now with a photograph of some of your old buddies…… Check with you later.

Name:  bikers on steps .jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  169.0 KB
    Last edited by stnfrnt; January-01-20 at 11:25 AM.

Larry, thanks for the information about everyone. And yes, I’d love to have a copy of that. I sent you a P.M. with the info.

On another note, I was wondering if you’d seen the movie [[documentary?) Echo in the Canyon. An excellent film about Laurel Canyon, but more importantly a lot about the evolution of the early West coast sound and guitar riffs. Kind of a Pet Sounds meets Sgt. Pepper. Jakob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Brian Wilson, Tom Petty, Stephen Stills, Eric Clapton, etc.
    Excellent watch for old guitar aficionados like you and Markley.

Maybe you’ve seen it. If not, definitely check it out. I watched it on Netflix but I think you can find it other places too. You can google the trailer.

I’ll keep in touch. I’ve got a few things I’d like to add to this thread but I need to remember how to utilize the tools.

I’ll be around. Bush Mark,

Just wanted to say thank you to Stnfrnt and Old Guy and all of the other contributors to this thread. It’s been very entertaining. I’m from Detroit, about ten years or so following you guys, so I came a bit late to the party, but it was nice hear about how things were back in the day. I didn’t make it to the Grande, but got my musical baptism at Pine Knob [[in the audience, not playing) before moving out west and enjoying The Greek Theater. It’s interesting how music played such an important part of our lives, don’t you think? Anyways, best wishes.

Gary

Last edited by RaumVogel; April-22-20 at 12:49 PM.

Hey Raum Vogel.......thanks for stopping by; it's been a long time. Ya, those links are just a few of the articles or visuals about the Garwood Mansion or the documentary about living there. All you have to do is Google Stonefront or Garwood mansion, and you'll find several sites with info. You should really check out http://collierpics.blogspot.com/2009...f6ea1f8955d997 ..................that's some of John Collier's good work on that website..........you'll enjoy it.

howdy everybody...........just checking in..........hot and humid in rockford, illinois..........that's about it.............later, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    howdy everybody...........just checking in..........hot and humid in rockford, illinois..........that's about it.............later, i guess.
    Hi Larry, i think you and i are the only ones that ever check this thread anymore ... not much happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by kklemmer View Post
    Hi Larry, i think you and i are the only ones that ever check this thread anymore ... not much happening here.
    Yup........folks seem to be busy with other things, but we're still here.

Just recently found this thread after hearing stories from my dad for years about the Garwood mansion. My brother and I started google searching the mansion earlier this year trying to come up with pictures for my dad to remember things by. Sadly he passed away in June from brain cancer but he could still remember things from the mansion like it was yesterday. After the mansion was destroyed my dad went back and found a light fixture from the pool area, and weÂ’ve had it since then. It was hand painted and light green in a bulbous shape. I wish I would have known what a big deal it was to so many other people as well! Dad seemed to have downplayed it through the years although I think it was one of his best memories. If anyone has any memories from my dad[[by some off chance), let me know. My dad stayed a partier and I never would have changed that about him. His name was Paul Trenz.

That is too bad your father didn’t know about this forum, I’m sure he would have found it interesting. The name doesn’t ring a bell with me, but that doesn’t mean much. Did he happen to have a nickname that might give us a clue?

Crystaldawnt........sorry you didn't hook up with us here on DY sooner, but here we are......and welcome aboard. There were thousands who partied at the Garwood over the years, and I'm sure those folks have some great memories too. Would you by any chance have any photos of your dad during those crazy days?

Hey Larry, just got off the phone with Hoover. He’s still in the Miami area, waiting for a chance to move back to the Middle East.

Strange times we’re living through.

"Strange times we’re living through"?

Oh, I don't know about that. The early 1970s at the Garwood might be considered strange times to some folks. Good to touch base with you, and Hoover is nuts.

Crystaldawnt, Sorry for the passing of you dad Paul Trenz. There was a guy I new as Paul, from I think Minn. , a cowboy , and his friend at the Gar Wood was dancing Dan. I believe he had a military background as well. Does any of this apply to your dad?

Hello to everyone. ONE HELL OF A YEAR for me, hope all are well.

Isle........doing as well as can be expected here in rockford, illinois......

There were people who stayed at the Gar Wood using another name. Fear of being caught as draft dodgers or runaway's .

Good to hear from you Isle. I used another name simply out of the fear of being me. It worked out well.

Wow, that was 50 years ago. Of all the places I’ve lived, and there have been many, Detroit was without a doubt the most interesting place I ever lived in. Yes, it was a point in time, an incredible point in time, but one that I’ll never forget, well, until I forget everything, so maybe a few weeks.
    Last edited by old guy; October-12-20 at 12:59 AM.

aw crap!

Name:  EE2E9E27-5BCB-46B5-886E-2CC69C91E293.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  42.9 KBLarry, could you elaborate on that somewhat. Strange times indeed. Wow, you, me, & Isle, that’s it?

Larry, we should cruise up to Minnesota if this freaking thing ever ends, and check out Mr. Capone, a little jazz, he’s a good time. I bet you haven’t seen him since the Michigan reunion, 2009. Think about it old man.

Or other people. Let’s do it.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Name:  EE2E9E27-5BCB-46B5-886E-2CC69C91E293.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  42.9 KBLarry, could you elaborate on that somewhat. Strange times indeed. Wow, you, me, & Isle, that’s it?
    No. I won't elaborate just yet. Great photo.......I'm in fairly regular touch with Jeep........my traveling days are over.

Merry Christmas...............I guess.

And a Merry Christmas to you Larry, well... sort of. Jeez.