Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Have Republicans Been Out-Foxed?

From Newsweek: Have Republicans Been Out-Foxed?
    Some conservatives are beginning to question whether Fox News is good for their movement.

GOP Sen. Tom Coburn scored a perfect 100 on the American Conservative Union's rankings for lawmakers last year. That makes him one of the last people you'd expect to criticize what liberals see as the GOP's most notable media mouthpiece, Fox News, but that's exactly what he did at a recent town-hall meeting in Oklahoma. When an audience member fretted about going to prison for not buying health insurance, Coburn responded, "The intention is not to put anyone in jail. That makes for good TV on Fox, but that isn't the intention." When discussing disagreements with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, he described her as a "nice lady" and warned the jeering crowd to be civil and to get their news from more than one source: "Don't catch yourself being biased by Fox News that somebody is no good."

Coburn's calling out of Fox was notable precisely because it's rare for Fox and Republicans to find their messages out of sync. The image of Fox that one gets from liberal critics such as The Daily Show's Jon Stewart is that it parrots Republican talking points, pushes conservative ideas into the mainstream, and keeps the base animated. But some conservatives are asking whether the news channel has become too extreme and whether, by angering and agitating the base, it may be making it harder, rather than easier, for Republicans to win elections.

David Frum, a prominent conservative pundit and former speechwriter for George W. Bush, led the charge last month when he lambasted Republicans’ handling of health-care reform. In a piece about the health-care vote titled “Waterloo,” Frum wrote, "We followed the most radical voices in the party and the movement, and they led us to abject and irreversible defeat. There were leaders who knew better, who would have liked to deal. But they were trapped. Conservative talkers on Fox and talk radio had whipped the Republican voting base into such a frenzy that deal-making was rendered impossible…By mobilizing them with hysterical accusations and pseudo-information, overheated talk has made it impossible for representatives to represent and elected leaders to lead." On Nightline, Frum noted, "Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us, and now we're discovering we work for Fox…The thing that sustains a strong Fox network is the thing that undermines a strong Republican Party."...
    And all of Murdoch's horses and all of his men couldn't put Faux News together again.

Dream on. As usual.

like the swifter [[funny Kramatic) broom the Foxers have left the republican fo rtheir offshoot Tea Party

I think it's just another example of the developing splintering of the Republican Party in the aftermath of all the Bush disasters. There's also a power vacuum surrounding Steele that is driving these fractures.

It will just have to play out. It always does.

The denial factor is also interesting. Notice how much more rarely the term "neocon" is heard lately. LOL! It doesn't even appear in the ieSpell dictionary!

oh they are there [[neocons)///just turn over many rocks...Krauthammer et al...are alive and well..in the think tanks that most of them now work for, are behind the scenes calling for war in Iran and other issues...they are there...waiting

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-..._b_145174.html

or to be fair and balanced here's the comservatgive spin

http://www.amconmag.com/article/2009/jan/12/00006/
    Last edited by gibran; April-17-10 at 05:25 AM.

I just want the Republicans to start doing the right thing, which in my mind they slowly are, and I wish the Democrats would get some common sense in their brains. We have the dumbest group of politicians in their running our government right now. It's sad, especially because they just replaced the previous idiots. You think they couldn't possibly be any worse.

You know, I wouldn't have a problem with them having a viewpoint that leans one way or the other if they would do it intelligently. This whole "you're too dumb to understand big ideas, so we'll simplify everything and talk down to you" approach is insulting.
    "Educated elitists are bad! Real Americans don't need no dadgum education! They have common sense, traditional values, a Bible and Fox News to tell them everything they need to know! Don't read newspapers or listen to the mainstream media! They're lying to you!" It reminds me of the Wizard of Oz telling Dorothy not to look behind the curtain.
    What if their viewers were to one day see through this condescending charade and become intellectually curious enough to do some research and seek their information from multiple sources? Would the GOP be completely out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    This whole "you're too dumb to understand big ideas, so we'll simplify everything and talk down to you" approach is insulting.
    From DetroitYES Forums > Non Detroit Issues > Texas dumbs down textbooks:
    While not apologizing for the reports, Steve Doocy of the morning show Fox & Friends said the network had been "trying to make it simpler" for viewers to understand the process by reporting that the State Board of Education was reviewing new textbooks....
    They're mocking America's problems. They haven't a clue of the repercussions.
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-17-10 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I just want the Republicans to start doing the right thing, which in my mind they slowly are, and I wish the Democrats would get some common sense in their brains. We have the dumbest group of politicians in their running our government right now. It's sad, especially because they just replaced the previous idiots. You think they couldn't possibly be any worse.
    jerrytimes, these politicans aren't dumb by any means, they are only following the money. The game is about staying in office, and you need money to do that. The money comes from whatever special interest that politican happens to be in bed with that night

DC48080 Guest

You know, I wouldn't have a problem with them having a viewpoint that leans one way or the other if they would do it intelligently. This whole "you're too dumb to understand big ideas, so we'll simplify everything and talk down to you" approach is insulting.
    "Educated elitists are bad! Real Americans don't need no dadgum education! They have common sense, traditional values, a Bible and Fox News to tell them everything they need to know! Don't read newspapers or listen to the mainstream media! They're lying to you!" It reminds me of the Wizard of Oz telling Dorothy not to look behind the curtain.
    What if their viewers were to one day see through this condescending charade and become intellectually curious enough to do some research and seek their information from multiple sources? Would the GOP be completely out of business?
    You know, what you said could accurately be spun the other way and said about people who listen to NPR and CNN for their news.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    You know, what you said could accurately be spun the other way and said about people who listen to NPR and CNN for their news.
    Really? You're telling me CNN and NPR intentionally dumb down their news, get people angry about hypothetical situations and conspiracy theories, organize anti-government rallies and pretend they're the only ones covering them, demonize the president and tell people not to pay attention to any other news source? I must have missed that.

DC48080 Guest

Really? You're telling me CNN and NPR intentionally dumb down their news, get people angry about hypothetical situations and conspiracy theories, organize anti-government rallies and pretend they're the only ones covering them, demonize the president and tell people not to pay attention to any other news source? I must have missed that.
    Yes, I am saying that NPR and CNN get liberals all fired up and play to the Moveon.org types and get them all worked into a lather so that they froth at the mouth with their shrill screaming about how Republicans are ruining this country.

And by the way, they don't have to "dumb down" their news to do this. They really are dumb to begin with. Their typical listener is so in tune to conspiracy theories that it is an easy sell for them.

Stosh Guest

Yes, I am saying that NPR and CNN get liberals all fired up and play to the Moveon.org types and get them all worked into a lather so that they froth at the mouth with their shrill screaming about how Republicans are ruining this country.
    Well they have good reason to, they are, in fact, ruining and have been ruining this country.

And by the way, they don't have to "dumb down" their news to do this. They really are dumb to begin with. Their typical listener is so in tune to conspiracy theories that it is an easy sell for them.
    You really shouldn't speak of FOX news in that manner. Your masters will be angry at you. Better get back to the AM and listen for further instructions.

Yet more evidence of Republican splintering: Right-wing radio host calls tea parties ‘the Sarah Palin movement’
    "You're a punk!" a man yelled.

"I'm a punk? Walsh asked. "Because I'm talking about Sarah Palin?"

"She's more of a man than you are!" another protester cried out.

"Sir, you need to back off and let me have my time up here, okay?" Walsh fired back. "You're the problem, sir. I'm a punk and you're an old, senile fart, now back off. ... I'm not sure why I can't point out the fact that Sarah Palin is a Republican and is part of the system. She couldn't even finish her time as Governor of Alaska! I know that's because she was being attacked but she's gonna be attacked ten-fold when she runs for office. I'm advocating that we put real independents in office."

At that point in the speech, a man in a light blue shirt picked up a sign advocating Sam Adams beer and flipped it over revealing the word "infiltrator," with an arrow pointing directly at Walsh

"I'm not an infiltrator!" Walsh protested as the audience erupted into cheers. "I guarantee you, I'm more conservative than you are. I guarantee you, I'm more conservative than everyone in this audience -- tune into my show sometime. Hold on, wait a second, because I'm insulting Sarah Palin that makes me an infiltrator? This is not the Sarah Palin movement, is it?"

The boos grew even louder.
    You go, girl! They're at each others' throats.

It wouldn't take much to out Faux the Republicrats. Maybe just a yes instead of a no. Unfortunately, the Demicans really have no clue either. So, it's a matter of getting lucky once in a while. The Demicans certainly can't count on out Fauxing anyone on any regular basis.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Well they have good reason to, they are, in fact, ruining and have been ruining this country.

You really shouldn't speak of FOX news in that manner. Your masters will be angry at you. Better get back to the AM and listen for further instructions.

Same old tired liberal refrain, all Republicans cannot think for themselves and worship talk radio.

You need to take your meds and not stand so close to the microwave with your tinfoil hat on.
    Last edited by DC48080; April-19-10 at 06:07 AM.

spoken like someone who has never listened to NPR. Fact is, you hear more uncontradicted republican crap on NPR than democratic. Fact is, most liberal I know are far more likely to research info on their own, using credible sources.

Your response is so ridiculous and out of touch that I can't even begin to respond. What planet do you live on?

DC48080 Guest

Your response is so ridiculous and out of touch that I can't even begin to respond. What planet do you live on?
    I wouldn't expect you to understand. You've been drinking the liberal Kool-Aid far too long.

I wouldn't expect you to understand. You've been drinking the liberal Kool-Aid far too long.
    Ah, the good ol' "you're too stupid and brainwashed to get it" response. One of my favorites.
    Some actual examples would lend a lot more credibility to your ridiculousness than personal attacks. Of course, that might require some research on your part. We'll wait.

Stosh Guest

Same old tired liberal refrain, all Republicans cannot think for themselves and worship talk radio.
    Of course. The truth hurts, doesn't it?

You need to take your meds and not stand so close to the microwave with your tinfoil hat on.
    Damn. I thought that was YOUR mode of operation. How else can you explain the inane posts here?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    spoken like someone who has never listened to NPR. Fact is, you hear more uncontradicted republican crap on NPR than democratic. Fact is, most liberal I know are far more likely to research info on their own, using credible sources.
    True to a "t". The problem is most repub's don't listen to NPR and only parrot what they hear on right wing radio shows. That is a major problem when an entire ideology calls themselves ditto heads.

another problem is about three years ago NPR had to take on big business sponsors and have moved to the right [[but still near center for now)

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    You got that part of it right.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    another problem is about three years ago NPR had to take on big business sponsors and have moved to the right [[but still near center for now)
    True. That was when the Repubs cut funding. They needed to continue funding their phony war in Iraq and wire tapping the masses to spy unconstitutionally on people. Where were the tea baggers back then, oh, wait, they are merely partisan hacks which is why most educated folks can't take them seriously.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast