Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Let me ask...

What do these cities have in common?? Baghdad, Iraq / Caracas, Venezuela / Detroit / New Orleans / Juarez, Mexico / Karachi, Pakistan / Cape Town, South Africa / Moscow, Russia / Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo / Beirut, Lebanon

Click here for answer

I find it a complete embarrassment that both Detroit and NO are on this list.
    Last edited by izzyindetroit; April-15-10 at 10:50 PM.

It might be an "embarrassment" however it is no surprise. You would have to be brain dead not to know that Detroit is among the most dangerous places in the world.

http://www.travellinginsurance.org/m...s-in-the-world

Most dangerous in the world is absurd. Detroit doesn't even come close to having the types of problems these other cities have.

How come Chechnya isn't on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    How come Chechnya isn't on this list.
    ... or Kandahar??

And Detroit isn't even the most dangerous city in the U.S. The list is a joke.

nope, your all wrong, they showed bullet proof glass in one of the pictures. It MUST be true

Ummmm why isnt Kingston Jamaica on that list?

Why isn't Rio on the list? It's also far more dangerous than Detroit.

Default The world's most dangerous cities?

Yep, Detroit is on the list [[other cities oddly are not)... well um-eh, so where do we go from here?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...rld/index.html

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0lMzGFThh

Here's the list, which was presented by CNN in no particular order:

Caracas, Venezuela
    Detroit
    New Orleans
    Juarez, Mexico
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Moscow, Russia
    Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo

DC48080 Guest

Don't get all worked up about this one folks. Afterall, this list was compiled by CNN. It's not like it was from a credible news source or anything. Don't give credence to anything that comes out of CNN.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Don't get all worked up about this one folks. Afterall, this list was compiled by CNN. It's not like it was from a credible news source or anything. Don't give credence to anything that comes out of CNN.

You are so right. Fox News would have made it a top ten and put Detroit as NO.1

Yeah I am sure any city in Iraq and Afghanastan are so much safer with all their random bombings.

bartock Guest

I was reading some of the comments on the CNN site, and they were ripped for comparing Detroit to Baghdad and some of the other cities. Two comments that I thought were very fitting - one was that the list is an insult to our troops overseas, the other was that this is just a continuation of Detroit being in the spotlight for the past year and a very convenient target. I find it interesting that none of these stories ever seems to put their data in the context of the region and not the core city. It would make places like Detroit "safer" and places like Paris more dangerous. I'd also like to see "random" violent crimes as a category. Even as a core city, while from what I understand it was relatively more commonplace in the 70s and 80s, the Detroit I lived in as an adult in the 1990s and still work in has not had much [[relatively speaking again) RANDOM violent crime.

Does it really matter what other places are or are not on the list?
    Folks have been TOO long in denial of how bad Detroit has gotten.
    What is going on in Detroit MUST be changed.
    The real question is how can Detroit be improved? And where is the calvary?
    Why is there no urgency among the leaders to turn things around?
    Where is the outcry?
    Where is the million man march in Detroit to draw attention about how bad the conditions are?
    Where is Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Barack Obama? Is the work too hard or is it not glamorus for them to tackle?
    If things continue as they are, it won't be "last one out, turn out the lights"
    It will be; last one alive, turn out the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmil View Post
    Does it really matter what other places are or are not on the list?
    Yes, it does.

"Yes, it does. "
    That is exactly why the problems only gets worse.
    Folks worrying about stuff that is of no importance, and not working on the real problem. If you add EVERY dangerous place to the list, does it make Detroit any safer? Any kids a little less dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmil View Post
    "Yes, it does. "
    That is exactly why the problems only gets worse.
    Folks worrying about stuff that is of no importance, and not working on the real problem. If you add EVERY dangerous place to the list, does it make Detroit any safer? Any kids a little less dead?
    Bloviate much? How can you put together a list of the worlds "most dangerous" cities... without including some of the world's most dangerous cities? This is just sensationalism. Because let's face it: putting Detroit or New Orleans on a list generates mouse clicks [[and sells ad space).

I have never felt safer walking down the street in my neighborhood. My children play happily in the back yard. We walk to the corner [[liquor) store on warm days. We haven't had to dodge any bombs, or even gunfire. Sure, I hear gunfire once in a while in the distance. Yep, there is probably a drug house on the next block. And yes, when my alarm goes off by mistake it takes four hours for the police to arrive and get the all clear. But in no way is Detroit as a hole one the most dangerous cities in the world.

Yes, there needs to be ALOT of improvement, things are getting worse before they get better, and mismanagement has alot to do with it. People in many of those cities that have been listed are trying to escape, but have no means to do so. A large part of New Orleans looks similar to a waste land, just like Detroit has its "urban prarie", but people move to New Orleans and Detroit every day for a reason. Yes, people are moving away at the same rate, but its not a one way door.

Lets agree that change is needed and show the outsiders. Maybe then they will stop driving to Detroit to dump their boats, tires, and other trash. Then maybe the unfortunate few in every community will get a little more pride about their city and stop trashing it themselves. When I see a child throw trash on any neighboring lawn, I tell them where are trash can is so that they can pick it up and throw it away. People from foreign countries are buying Detroit's land for a reason. Maybe it will be turned into farmland, maybe a huge energy production plant, but maybe it will return to some sort of glory. Whatever happens, I will be around to get that fat check, or enjoy that same quiet community.

I understand that some folks have to leave. Its not worth it to pay a mortgage, and private school tuition, and spend thousands on security shutters and glass block windows to secure a property. But for those who can afford the hassle, something great is coming.

For all the runners who ran just past the border, and now have to run even further because those neighborhoods have turned to crap and the schools suck just as bad as Detroit's, just keep running. As your property values continue to drop and you find yourself at a loss, join the Detroiters. Times will get better for all of us. Just as things get better for Detroit a wave will follow and the sun will shine again in your neighborhood.

Sorry to be sooo winded, I just love my city waaaaay too much. I'm a teacher and double as a realtor in my spare time. I have been watching the MEAP scores as my predictor of the next neighborhood to fall. The wave of falling scores [[and home values) has skipped over a few choice places but is coming to a neighborhood near you [[runners). Well, I'm probably going to be the last one alive in Detroit...

How is Rio not on that list?

Putting Juarez in the same category as either Detroit or New Orleans seems quite unfair, given the level of violence there in the past two years.

I think our troops might have a difference of opinion...just saying.

Whether you agree or not with the results, the fact Detroit is even in the discussion is troubling. You can't deny that Detroit is a dangerous city to live in.
    Question is, "How can we make it a desirable city that more people want to live in again?"

Iheart, "Bloviate much?" I don't know, but I do something is a lot of fun, you can join me if you like.
    By the way, you didn't answer my questions.

PHP, good for you, glad you are happy with the choices you have made. Does that mean Detroit is not bad? Are others places bad also, yes, I still don't understand how that fixes Detroits problems.

I would have thought both Bagdad and Bogota to be more dangerous, but that is just my opinion.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast