Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Claiming Detroit as place residence in the Census [[even though I don't live there)...

After recently returning to the Detroit area after spending the winter in SE Asia, my wife and I realized that we had not filed out a 2010 Census form. We are temporarily staying with a friend in metro Detroit while in transit to reside in another state.

Having living in Detroit for half a century [[mostly in City of) until 2003, I told my wife that since we will not have an established residence as of May 1st [[which the Census form asks for), we should indicate that we reside in Detroit in order to give the city a boost with the addition of "two more warm bodies."

We were residents of Detroit in Corktown at the time of the 2000 Census.

Curious what the estimated population of Detroit is today. If Detroit's census count surpasses 900K this time, I will be surprised.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    After recently returning to the Detroit area after spending the winter in SE Asia, my wife and I realized that we had not filed out a 2010 Census form. We are temporarily staying with a friend in metro Detroit while in transit to reside in another state.

Having living in Detroit for half a century [[mostly in City of) until 2003, I told my wife that since we will not have an established residence as of May 1st [[which the Census form asks for), we should indicate that we reside in Detroit in order to give the city a boost with the addition of "two more warm bodies."

We were residents of Detroit in Corktown at the time of the 2000 Census.

Curious what the estimated population of Detroit is today. If Detroit's census count surpasses 900K this time, I will be surprised.
    As if it matters what residency we fill out...
    Every city and state is coaxing residents to fill out the form
    College towns are desperate to claim students as residents for them tax $$

And no matter what the final count is, it will be contested, and some crazy formula will be used to add homeless, illegal immigrants, etc. to 'up' the count for more revenue sharing.

The federal government defines a "family" as any group of people living under one roof. So if you are temporarily staying with someone you are part of their "family" and get counted in Detroit.

As for the number of residents in Detroit, then Census said back in 2005 or 2008 that the city was at about 815k. I think it's reached the tipping point of hemorrhaging population.

My wife and I decided to use our old Corktown address on our 2010 Census form since we are currently in transition to reside for a spell in North Carolina. I'd rather give two more warm bodies to Mich than NC. I just hope the Census folks don't come a knockin' for us in Corktown [[where we filed our 2000 Census form) as I noticed our former residence is vacant and boarded up. Like, what could the feds do to us...send us to Detroit?

The Census Bureau's estimate of the population of the city of Detroit as of 7-1-2008 was
    912,062. Their estimate of the population as of July 1, 2009 should be available within a month.
    The Census 2010 count for the city of Detroit will be released April 1, 2011 unless a federal judge intervenes.

Not to be cynical about it, but maybe we could start a pool based on Detroit's official 2010 Census tally. Winner gets a warm case of Goebbel beer. [[They still making that stuff?)

^ I'm in! Start the thread

Ravine Guest

English, I get the feeling that you have never tasted Goebel.

If not, make it a point to not do so.

^ Good point!

Make it a nice microbrew, and I'm in.

So hurt your own community so you can give money to a city that has people leaving for almost any other city?