Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dearborn loses Ritz-Carlton

Another victim of the Michigan economy.

http://freep.com/article/20100414/BU...z-Carlton-name

I remember when I was growing up, Ford was eager to "Troyify" all their land along Southfield. Hubbard, interestingly, was opposed to most of it, but they finally got their way. What now? Now that the principals have made their pile, will much of the developments around Southfield, Ford, Michigan and Mercury Drive revert to field?

I didn't know that hotel was so "new". I thought it was built in the 1970s...

ETA: Sorry, wrong building. I was thinking of another hotel in that area.
    Last edited by iheartthed; April-14-10 at 02:25 PM.

Its the Pink Palace as it is called

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I remember when I was growing up, Ford was eager to "Troyify" all their land along Southfield. Hubbard, interestingly, was opposed to most of it, but they finally got their way. What now? Now that the principals have made their pile, will much of the developments around Southfield, Ford, Michigan and Mercury Drive revert to field?

Maybe they can put in sidewalks so you can walk to the nearby restraunts or shopping? For a company that has been bragging about being 'Green' they sure make it hard to traverse their properties without a car.

Didn't most visiting MLB teams used to stay there? Where do they stay now?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Maybe they can put in sidewalks so you can walk to the nearby restraunts or shopping? For a company that has been bragging about being 'Green' they sure make it hard to traverse their properties without a car.
    Actually, Ford is not "green" so much as "greenwashed." It's just a major PR push, as I believe they are still the No. 1 most polluting automaker, or some such thing. Can't recall right now.

Um, you know that they're not closing it, it's just not going to be named Ritz-Carlton anymore, right?

Quote: "Ford is not "green" so much as "greenwashed.""

As is the "Green movement". Just a marketing ploy, and it works..

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Um, you know that they're not closing it, it's just not going to be named Ritz-Carlton anymore, right?
    Yes, the article said as much. But I'm taking this within the context of the way that some retailers have cleared out of the big commercial developments along Mercury, and the coming commercial real estate crash. Greenwood might be a good management company, but when hotels change names and lose a prestige brand name, that's the point where things can go wrong in the hospitality business. I wish them well, but I worry about what's coming, especially given how car-dependent all that new development was.

Of course, bear in mind, as a lad I used to be able to stand on Greenfield Road and look across more than 1,000 acres of undeveloped Ford land greenbelt. Now that it's almost all developed, I wonder how durable the environment is -- especially with volatile gas prices, rising brick-and-mortar costs, a tanking local economy, and a coming commercial real estate crash.

Actually, Ford is not "green" so much as "greenwashed." It's just a major PR push
    agreed. "ecoboost" = turbocharged.

as I believe they are still the No. 1 most polluting automaker, or some such thing. Can't recall right now
    disagree. but i would have to know what criteria you're talking about to back up that argument [[based off our recent discussion ) i would hazard a guess that their emphasis on "green" building would take them out of the running for worst. [ref. new F-150 assembly plant at the rouge and the IT center by mercury drive.]

but when hotels change names and lose a prestige brand name, that's the point where things can go wrong in the hospitality business.
    Rooms $50 per night, hourly rates available.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa.313 View Post
    disagree. but i would have to know what criteria you're talking about to back up that argument [[based off our recent discussion ) i would hazard a guess that their emphasis on "green" building would take them out of the running for worst. [ref. new F-150 assembly plant at the rouge and the IT center by mercury drive.]
    Well, I'm not sure what the metrics were for deeming Ford a top polluter. This link would seem to bear it out, as no U.S. car companies top them on this list. They come in at No. 17. Then again, I don't know what they used to decide that.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0933679.html

Well, I'm not sure what the metrics were for deeming Ford a top polluter. This link would seem to bear it out, as no U.S. car companies top them on this list. They come in at No. 17. Then again, I don't know what they used to decide that.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0933679.html
    interesting. [i would note that GM is #18.]

NOTE: The Toxic 100 index is based on air releases of hundreds of chemicals from industrial facilities across the United States. The rankings take into account not only the quantity of air releases, but the relative toxicity of chemicals, nearby populations, and factors such as prevailing winds and height of smokestacks. The data on chemical releases come from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Toxics Release Inventory [[TRI) for the year 2005, the latest data available.
    sounds like pollution is based on the manufacturing process. i wonder how this ranking is now, 5 years later than that report, with all of the closures and new facilities.

Horrible news. Lets just hope the hotel can stabalize under a new flag and doesn't fall in quality too fast. Looked up Greenwood Hospitality, they seem to favor the Hilton flag. Dearborn Hilton anyone?

What I don't understand is who owned the hotel before it selling? Was it Ritz or was it Ford or was it someone else? Just because the hotel's ownership changes, doesn't mean the mgmt has to.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    FYI, the same thing was said about The Leland and Ponchartrain when Crowne Plaza & Ramada Inn Left.

We see what condition those hotels are in...

It seems like 9 times out of 10, at least here in Detroit, any time a hotel goes from being part of a chain to an independent...its future is doomed. I could probably name close to 10 local hotels that were once luxury properties and now they are either abandoned or independent hotels with poor reputations.

Lets hope that they replace the Ritz name with a reputable chain like Hilton, JW Marriott, a Starwood brand, etc.

Sstashmoo makes a good point. Hotels seem to change afiliations about as often as gas stations [[and seemingly, banks), so what may be a Ritz-Carlton today could very easily be a Sheraton tomorrow. I think this is a case of wait and see......

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Sstashmoo makes a good point. Hotels seem to change afiliations about as often as gas stations [[and seemingly, banks)
    Apples & Oranges!

Ritz Carlton is not synonomous with Sheraton, Hilton, Hyatt, Westin or any of those luxury brands. It is truly in a class of its own [[maybe with Four Seasons). This is a loss for the metro area and the state. Including DC, there are only 17 states [[soon to be 16 after Dearborn closes) that have a Ritz. Very exclusive chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    As is the "Green movement"

I had green movement once. Have no idea what I ate.

I fear Dearborn will lose it's status as a top destination for tourists.

Will they bring back the Fairlane Mall to Hotel people mover?

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Didn't most visiting MLB teams used to stay there? Where do they stay now?
    Most of the teams now stay at the Townsend in Birmingham. The traveling secretary for the White Sox said there is more to do out there.
    Please, no jokes about getting Cabrera drunk.

There are still a lot of prestigious hotel brands out there: W for instance. As many have stated, hotel brands change a lot. This is not uncommon. And it likely includes a management company change. A Ritz likely doesn't fit the Detroit economy these days, certainly not in Dearborn any more. Expect something reputable and upscale to come as the new flag. You don't buy a property like the Ritz and put a Holiday Inn name on it.

And for what it's worth, the Greenwood company turned the Ypsilanti Marriott from a stereotypical suburban hotel with a bar in a ho-hum location on the edge of closing into an outstanding property that identified some incredible customer niches that weren't being served in the Ann Arbor area and made it a dynamic and highly profitable hotel. They bring top notch management in. Expect the same with a property as storied and as high profiled as the Ritz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast